E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #181
coriolanus

My Ride: 05 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Murphy View Post
I did a dyno run and then tuned it (remap) - some minor idle tweeking still needed.

JIm
Jim, this is what I've been thinking. You are boosted right? Noob question coming-what is the best approach to tuning if one is in the middle of no where? AA? Call ESS?
OEM M-Tech II|TMS Sways|TMS Control Arms|Koni FSD-Eibach|BMW Performance Intake|Stewart Water Pump|VMR VB3|Rogue Engineering Shock Mounts|3M Tint|OEM Clear Lens Kit|SS Brake Lines|Zimmerman Cross Drilled Rotors|Performance Friction Z|Umnitza V2 Opaque|Swain Coated Magnaflow Headers|
coriolanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #182
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolanus View Post
Jim, this is what I've been thinking. You are boosted right? Noob question coming-what is the best approach to tuning if one is in the middle of no where? AA? Call ESS?
So I was bored this afternoon. I sent an Email to OETuning, this is what was sent back. Based on AA's dismal gains if any from the group buy & the fact that Shark Injector doesn't make a "tune" for your Bimmer because it's an auto, I'd say this is probably your best option. Forum member E46mango swears by them. Send them your ECU & all Dyno information.

Good luck.

"Hi Rob,

Thanks for contacting OE Tuning. We sure do have a tune to suit your 2005 330i. The price for the tune is $395.00 and can be tuned here at our SoCal location or at an OE Tuning flash dealer. Where abouts are you located? If you are not close for any of these options you are required you to remove your ecu and send in for tuning.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Jeremy

Wed, 12 Oct 2011 12:09:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, I need a "Tune" for a 2005 330i Auto. The car has a BMW Performance CAI & the brand new Magnaflow Headers(49 state legal) with built in Cats, do you offer a tune for this Bimmer ?

Thanks,
Rob"

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #183
coriolanus

My Ride: 05 330i
Rob,

Thanks! I will definitely call them and see what they are offering. Much appreciated.
OEM M-Tech II|TMS Sways|TMS Control Arms|Koni FSD-Eibach|BMW Performance Intake|Stewart Water Pump|VMR VB3|Rogue Engineering Shock Mounts|3M Tint|OEM Clear Lens Kit|SS Brake Lines|Zimmerman Cross Drilled Rotors|Performance Friction Z|Umnitza V2 Opaque|Swain Coated Magnaflow Headers|
coriolanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #184
JB_ZHP

My Ride: 05' ZHP Dinan 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_ZHP View Post
FYI...When my headers arrived today, there were three spots where the primary tubes extended past the header flange and had to be leveled out with a grinder to prevent leaks.

Packaging of these was poor! One of the boxes was damaged and upon further inspection, the flange on the front header is bent and will have to be replaced! Frustrating considering I now have to wait for a new one to arrive before shipping off for coating! This box had no paper, styrofoam, etc inside to provide protection to the header.
Magnaflow came through, the new header arrived today in perfect condition! Shipping off to Swain next week! Can't wait to hear these combined with the Borla exhaust!!
Old 10-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #185
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
take vids!

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #186
Jim Murphy

My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
Back to the exhaust thread. I am on another thread in the boosted section and learned that a single 3" exhaust is the way to go. I am eyeing some Magnaflow mufflers, Y pipe and oval tip - all 3" to build a new catback exhaust system. Hopefully for a whole lot less than a Borla system.

Jim
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #187
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
I'll PM you my source for Magnaflow stuff.

Quote:
Back to the exhaust thread. I am on another thread in the boosted section and learned that a single 3" exhaust is the way to go. I am eyeing some Magnaflow mufflers, Y pipe and oval tip - all 3" to build a new catback exhaust system. Hopefully for a whole lot less than a Borla system.

Jim
Old 10-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #188
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
Me to aggie

Also, the best place to put the y pipe is right at that first bend.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer

IMAG02051
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #189
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
I'll try to prove that right or wrong early next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksideracer69 View Post
Me to aggie

Also, the best place to put the y pipe is right at that first bend.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer
Old 10-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #190
Jim Murphy

Single 3" Catback Exhaust system budgeting

Just starting on this project of getting it quiet with low back pressure.

I just added up the following 3" Magnaflow parts from Summit Racing:

Y Pipe #10778 = $27.36
18" long/9" wide Oval Muffler #11249 = $92.70 (may install 2 in series)
18" long/8" wide Oval Muffler #12259 = $147.00
5.5" wide Oval Tip $114.28 (pricey for a small item)

Subtotal = $381.34 + freight

I may end up with different mufflers but the price will be in the same ball park.

So far as the 3" stainless tubing and hangers and installation will need to be added in.

I am guessing that it will be under $1K total - not bad when compared to the alternatives.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Murphy; 10-31-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #191
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Bump! Any further dynos with these?
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #192
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Waiting to see how that exhaust turns out.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:11 AM   #193
crazyxzer0

My Ride: 2004 330i
Send a message via AIM to crazyxzer0 Send a message via MSN to crazyxzer0
why cant this be CARB legal ( It would go well with my HKS exhaust...

-Derek
Stoptech Front BBK|M3 LSD|GC Coilovers w/ Swift Springs|UUC TSE3 Exhaust|

My Build Thread
crazyxzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #194
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Waiting to see how that exhaust turns out.
The Magnaflow is quiet and there is no drone. And it passed muster with my wife so I can't ask for anything better. Most cost effective way to get low back pressure with low sound. I used the straight-thru as my resonator up front and the offset one as my muffler behind the axle. Others here state that an offset flow muffler is much quieter than a straight-thru.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Murphy; 02-24-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #195
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyxzer0 View Post
why cant this be CARB legal ( It would go well with my HKS exhaust...
This is a question for the Magnaflow people. Here in Georgia my Magnaflow header/cats passed emissions with no problem. When I looked at them the Magnaflow version uses the same size catalyctic converter as the OEM. The big and only difference are the primary tubes as they are curved and same size as a typical header.

Jim
Old 02-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #196
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Wish there were more dynos with these, especially on non-boosted cars, because sounds like they dont make much more power if any than stock cats though, right? Certainly seems the gains are not near cat-less header level. But hell, if it kills the rasp I would rather have these than cat-less headers even at the expense of a pony or two.... but i'll live with the rasp if it gets me 5-10hp over these I gots to have my powa.

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #197
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
Wish there were more dynos with these, especially on non-boosted cars, because sounds like they dont make much more power if any than stock cats though, right? Certainly seems the gains are not near cat-less header level. But hell, if it kills the rasp I would rather have these than cat-less headers even at the expense of a pony or two.... but i'll live with the rasp if it gets me 5-10hp over these I gots to have my powa.
I had a cat back UUC TSE3 exhaust system on my car when I installed the Magnaflow header/cats and BOY did the car get REALLY loud. Talked with Magnaflow tech people and they said that there is a big increase in exhaust volume/pressure with these - almost as much as a cat-less header. This huge increase just overwhelmed the TSE3 exhaust and made it sound like no mufflers at all. I now have for sale the UUC TSE3 resonators (4) with pipes and a 330 rear muffler. Combining both pipes into and out of one resonator or one muffler is the best way to lower the sound but UUC TSE3 does NOT - dedicated straight-thru.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #198
crazyxzer0

My Ride: 2004 330i
Send a message via AIM to crazyxzer0 Send a message via MSN to crazyxzer0
Quote:
This is a question for the Magnaflow people. Here in Georgia my Magnaflow header/cats passed emissions with no problem. When I looked at them the Magnaflow version uses the same size catalyctic converter as the OEM. The big and only difference are the primary tubes as they are curved and same size as a typical header.

Jim
It's 49state legal and I happen to be in the 1 state its not legal in.

-Derek
Stoptech Front BBK|M3 LSD|GC Coilovers w/ Swift Springs|UUC TSE3 Exhaust|

My Build Thread
crazyxzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #199
njoni007

My Ride: 330Ci ESS TS2
Ah, I am back after so long away from this place.

Looking for this exact nature of thread. I am in need of new headers after I blew up the engine of a supercharged Audi A4 due to a bad Cat. Found out completely clogged, burned cat and I could not even blow with my mouth on it...that costs me $4k to get a new block and valves and machining the heads...long story short I welded two universal Magnaflow cats and the SC Audi A4 sure beats the stock S4 now but the mishap scared me for my precious 330Ci SC TS2 lol

Now, I am looking to replace my cats with something that will not throw CEL. I look forward to see any changes in NA cars with before and after dyno on this MagnaFlow replacement cat. The design sure looks better than OE header.

TxZHP any news?
njoni007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #200
Jim Murphy

Warning: Cat Failure on Magnaflow header/cat!

I may have a unique situation but it is worth passing this on. Today at Buckhead Import Performance who has been diligently tuning the AA/2 software for several months now has discovered recently the cause for a mysterious CEL coming on while the engine is running perfectly. They noticed a rattle underneath the car while slightly revving the motor. Up on the rack it went and the source are the cat's in the Magnaflow header/cat system. Apparently a piece has broken off inside one of them causing clogging every so often thus setting off the CEL. They surmise that the cats have been overheating over the past several months while the software was being tuned whenever there was a rich state. What I am looking at is to have them pulled out and open them up and clear the loose stuff out of them along with anything else that is about to fail. Also, I have been told that ceramic coating the cats may have contributed to their overheating.

Jim