E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #201
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Sorry to hear this but thanks for the feedback, that's good info. Hopefully it's just the result of the tuning process and not a fundamental issue with the cats or with ceramic coating them (which voids their warranty for those who might be wondering).

Mine are still doing great so far....
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #202
Jim Murphy

My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Murphy View Post
I may have a unique situation but it is worth passing this on. Today at Buckhead Import Performance who has been diligently tuning the AA/2 software for several months now has discovered recently the cause for a mysterious CEL coming on while the engine is running perfectly. They noticed a rattle underneath the car while slightly revving the motor. Up on the rack it went and the source are the cat's in the Magnaflow header/cat system. Apparently a piece has broken off inside one of them causing clogging every so often thus setting off the CEL. They surmise that the cats have been overheating over the past several months while the software was being tuned whenever there was a rich state. What I am looking at is to have them pulled out and open them up and clear the loose stuff out of them along with anything else that is about to fail. Also, I have been told that ceramic coating the cats may have contributed to their overheating.

Jim

6-4-12 Update;
The car is in the shop and they feel that they will have to clean out both cat's AND check the mufflers for cat junk clogging them. They promise that it will pass emissions.

Jim
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #203
Jim Murphy

I have had the car back now for about a week and it is running well. When the cat's were opened up, one was almost completely burned out and the other was not much better so both are now completely cleaned out. Of course, the mufflers were taken out and shaken and reverse blown out for any catalytic crap stuck in either. Now the exhaust sound is a LITTLE louder but not much. Next is the emission test. Note to self - never, ever ceramic coat a catalytic converter.

Jim
Old 06-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #204
Jim Murphy

Sorry - can't cancel

Last edited by Jim Murphy; 06-12-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #205
Au2bahn

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP,09 HCHII
I have the same headers and no issues. I also did some research on other car forums who had their headers and cats Swain Coated and NON had any issues. TxZHP04 and I have ESS SC and you have an AA. I wonder if you were running rich and overheated your cats somehow. Any engine running rich will overheat ANY catalytic converters. I had ESS tune my A/F to 11-12.

ESS TS2 - VMR V710 19" wheels - KW Coilovers - 3.46 Diff - Macht Schnell 5mm Rear Spacers - BMW Performance BBK w/ floating rotors -
BMW Performance Strut Brace - BMW Performance Air Intake - BMW Performance SSK/DSSR - Hawk HPS Brake Pads - SS Brake Lines -
OEM M3 RTAB w/ Vorshlag Limiters - Meyle HD FCAB - TMS Sway Bars w/ adjustable links - AEM Digital Boost Gauge -
Stewart w/p - 6K HID Fogs - Swain Coated Magnaflow headers
Au2bahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #206
Jim Murphy

There were problems all thru the car and they were trying to fix/program them over several months, thus there were several time periods where it was running rich (AEM F/A gauge). Emissions test coming up.

Jim
Old 06-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #207
Tom2769

My Ride: 330ci
Jim, just curious: did you notice a difference in power/driveability between when the magnaflow header/cats were new and when they had the cat material removed? I would not suggest this as a performance mod, but did notice a big difference on an old turbo porsche I had 20 years ago (similar circumstances to yours back then, actually). Of course mmy car was a turbo, so the lower backpressure affected boost... Thanks.
Tom2769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #208
Au2bahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Bump! Any further dynos with these?
I posted my gains on zhpmafia.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

ESS TS2 - VMR V710 19" wheels - KW Coilovers - 3.46 Diff - Macht Schnell 5mm Rear Spacers - BMW Performance BBK w/ floating rotors -
BMW Performance Strut Brace - BMW Performance Air Intake - BMW Performance SSK/DSSR - Hawk HPS Brake Pads - SS Brake Lines -
OEM M3 RTAB w/ Vorshlag Limiters - Meyle HD FCAB - TMS Sway Bars w/ adjustable links - AEM Digital Boost Gauge -
Old 06-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #209
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
link up here to that post over there?
Old 06-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #210
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2769 View Post
Jim, just curious: did you notice a difference in power/driveability between when the magnaflow header/cats were new and when they had the cat material removed? I would not suggest this as a performance mod, but did notice a big difference on an old turbo porsche I had 20 years ago (similar circumstances to yours back then, actually). Of course mmy car was a turbo, so the lower backpressure affected boost... Thanks.
Too early to tell by the seat of the pants indicator but the sound level going higher slightly does show some reduction in back pressure. I am just glad to get the car running strong again with no more CEL's.

Jim
Old 06-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #211
Au2bahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vI6ious View Post
link up here to that post over there?
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...650#post162650

Old 06-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #212
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
MachV Dan!!! Haven't spoken to him in years.

Thanks for the post, but since you installed the headers and cats at the same time, it's not a direct comparison, though. Nice numbers for your TS2, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au2bahn View Post
Old 06-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #213
Au2bahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by opp View Post
Yep. Thats him. Good guy. I still have to get it back on the dyno after i had ess retune my a/f.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Old 06-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #214
Tom2769

Jim, how'd the emissions test go? Did it pass with gutted cats?
Old 06-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #215
njoni007

My Ride: 330Ci ESS TS2
I have installed the Magnaflow headers on my SC 330 and the result is like having installed another SC! It pulls way faster to higher end RPM and it is responsive in all RPM bands. The job is difficult for DIY but worth it. My dyno butt says that I gained at least 15HP. Now, I can say the factory header for a SC'ed engine is crap.

If your engine is SC'ed and you wish to pass emissions I highly recommend it.

I should note my exhaust tips now are expelling more steam/water and they rarely did before so this leads me to believe the Magnaflow cats are working better in terms of emissions.

Sound wise: It sounds like an M3 under acceleration and the exhaust now has more base when warm idling (like it does in the morning/cold start with stock headers). In cold start the exhaust is a bit loud compared to stock headers.

I should also note my exhaust is all stock.

Last edited by njoni007; 06-17-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: exhaust
njoni007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #216
Au2bahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by njoni007 View Post
I have installed the Magnaflow headers on my SC 330 and the result is like having installed another SC! It pulls way faster to higher end RPM and it is responsive in all RPM bands. The job is difficult for DIY but worth it. My dyno butt says that I gained at least 15HP. Now, I can say the factory header for a SC'ed engine is crap.

If your engine is SC'ed and you wish to pass emissions I highly recommend it.

I should note my exhaust tips now are expelling more steam/water and they rarely did before so this leads me to believe the Magnaflow cats are working better in terms of emissions.

Sound wise: It sounds like an M3 under acceleration and the exhaust now has more base when warm idling (like it does in the morning/cold start with stock headers). In cold start the exhaust is a bit loud compared to stock headers.

I should also note my exhaust is all stock.
I agree. I installed the magnaflow headers and exhaust and definitely noticed a big difference . Its louder but sounds awesome.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Old 06-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #217
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2769 View Post
Jim, how'd the emissions test go? Did it pass with gutted cats?
Buckhead can't get the 2nd O2 sensor to the "ready state" so I am looking at welding in my OEM cat's in place of the Magnaflow empty cat's (just that part of it) or look at buying two replacement cat's to weld in from Magnaflow if even they sell such a thing.

Jim
Old 06-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #218
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Buckhead can't get the 2nd O2 sensor to the "ready state" so I am looking at welding in my OEM cat's in place of the Magnaflow empty cat's (just that part of it) or look at buying two replacement cat's to weld in from Magnaflow if even they sell such a thing.

Jim
Magnaflow does not offer this so two aftermarket high flow cat's are going to be welded in place of the Magnaflow cats (now empty).

Jim
Old 06-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #219
Tom2769

Bummer, Jim. Sorry to hear this...
Old 06-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #220
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Magnaflow does not offer this so two aftermarket high flow cat's are going to be welded in place of the Magnaflow cats (now empty).

Jim
At this point, why not just wire up an LC-1?
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote