E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #21
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_ZHP View Post
This is a great find and appears to be great product development on Magnaflow's part. I am interested to see what the actual gains are. I do feel they will not lower their price to where these are a practical application for the average person modding their BMW.

It will not take much to improve the flow over oem headers, if they can do that and pass inspection....they might have something! Running headers myself I enjoy the power gains but HATE the rasp they produce. I am anxious for someone to do some testing on these and post some sound clips!!
I agree these will never be at the price point of ebay headers... but I wouldn't expect that and I don't think they are really targeting the tuner market with them. This product is intended as a high quality, better flowing, emissions legal replacement for the stock cats. Anyone installing headers and cats as a performance mod would normally be looking to run race cats (or no cats) with any of the available cat-less headers. As an option for stock replacement cats though the performance of these look to be promising and, at the special pricing mentioned above by Brady, I'm very tempted to pick up a set.

With over 113k on my car, my stock cats could give out any time now or they could go another 50k, who knows. I would normally wait until they crap out but since Brady can get us special pricing right now, I'm seriously considering just going ahead and replacing them since the price is well below the best dealership pricing. I need to get a handle on my taxes this weekend. If I don't end up owing an arm and a leg to the IRS this year, I think I've convinced myself to go ahead and give these a try.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #22
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Nice! Just let me know. I'll help you install them, if you want. I've done 5 header installs now, I think.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #23
JB_ZHP

My Ride: 05' ZHP Dinan 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
I agree these will never be at the price point of ebay headers... but I wouldn't expect that and I don't think they are really targeting the tuner market with them. This product is intended as a high quality, better flowing, emissions legal replacement for the stock cats.
Agreed....Maganflow is not after the tuner market and I would never expect them to be as cheap as ebay headers! These are a quality piece that would be a GREAT replacement for stock with additional gains through better flow!

If you are considering replacing your stock cats, I would JUMP on them!
Keep us posted....
Old 02-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #24
aggieE46
Keep it clean

If I ever HAVE to put cats on, this would probably be the way to go.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #25
Bartacus

My Ride: 2002 320i Sedan
My cats might need replacing soon. Hmmmmmmmmmm.
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #26
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
TxZHP, if you do go for them, I'll donate to help with money for before/after dyno.
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #27
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1379 View Post
TxZHP, if you do go for them, I'll donate to help with money for before/after dyno.
I actually ordered a set on Monday. I'm really hoping to do a before and after dyno but time will be the limiting factor. Thanks for offering to help with the dyno costs though. As for any dyno results, keep in mind that I'm supercharged so I would likely see slightly better gains than a NA motor.

Was told I should have the cats by Friday but haven't seen any tracking info yet. The Magnaflow web site indicates they won't be "in stock" for a few more weeks so I'm doubtful about a Friday delivery. That's ok though, I'll need time to order some new hardware for the install. Will post pics of them ASAP after I get them as I'm sure we're all anxious to see what the construction looks like.

Brady has suggested having them coated by Swain. Need to contact Swain to find out if the cats would pose a problem. They would certainly limit any coatings to the exterior only. I've also considered having the stock heat shield coated - either in addition to or in place of coating the headers. BTW, if anyone has any thoughts on the pros/cons of coating the cats, please share. If I go this route it could be a while before they are ready for install. Then I'll have to find time to tackle the install itself... so it might be a while before I can offer up a review.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 02-23-2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #28
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
oh yeah, forgot about the supercharger, never mind then, no dyno money for you!
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #29
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
in for a dyno run.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:27 AM   #30
hotkarl

My Ride: ZHP
TXZHP,

If you do not mind...what was the total cost?

Can you confirm that these are direct bolt on and that no 02 sims are needed?

Thank you.

FAIL
hotkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:50 AM   #31
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
TXZHP,

If you do not mind...what was the total cost?

Can you confirm that these are direct bolt on and that no 02 sims are needed?

Thank you.
I can't confirm anything at this point as I have not received and installed them yet. Everything I know about these units is based off the product description on the MagnaFlow web site. That said, these exhaust manifolds are supposed to be direct stock replacements and have integrated catalytic converters (like stock) that MagnaFlow has certified as 49 state OBDII legal meaning that no O2 sims should be needed to avoid a CEL. While the MagnaFlow cats will hopefully flow a little better than the stock units, these are not high flow race cats. You can follow this thread for updates as I will post more details as things progress.

Last edited by TxZHP04; 02-24-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:10 AM   #32
hotkarl

My Ride: ZHP
Subscribed.

FAIL
hotkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #33
Jim Murphy

My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
Subscribed as well.
Though I also have a SC . . . .

Jim - a member of the southern Murphy clan.
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #34
TxZHP04

Got tracking numbers earlier today, should be delivered on Monday. I'll try to weigh them and get some pictures once they arrive.

EDIT: for reference, the stock manifolds weigh in at 26.1 lbs according to Vorshlag.

Last edited by TxZHP04; 02-24-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #35
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
If I ever HAVE to put cats on, this would probably be the way to go.
Why not put cats downstream in exhaust?
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #36
aggieE46
Keep it clean

Did it, still got codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
Why not put cats downstream in exhaust?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #37
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
Did it, still got codes.
Yeah, if you've still gotta have the LC-1 to fool the DME, there's no point in bothering with cats at all.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #38
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
I will probably have to buy the LC-1. The o2 simulator doesnt work and neither does o2 sensors int the drug bin
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:53 PM   #39
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
I will probably have to buy the LC-1. The o2 simulator doesnt work and neither does o2 sensors int the drug bin
Those "old school" methods don't work because the DME is looking for a voltage response that they can't provide. The LC-1 can be programmed to mimic the necessary response at which point it is really just a fancy O2 simulator.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #40
JB_ZHP

My Ride: 05' ZHP Dinan 3
Am I the only person the o2sim's are still working for?

TXZHP....Are you running the stock ZHP exhaust? I am interested to see if the exhaust note is changed in any way with these headers.