E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #121
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Do the HKS! I've heard good things!
Old 07-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #122
johntrhodes81

My Ride: 2004 325i Wagon
Drone or just louder?

If it is a drone that is around a certain RPM then you can use a noise canceling chamber to kill it. If it is just generally loud than you will need to do what you are saying. My car with a custom exhaust has a bad drone at 2,500 rpm, Since I have an x pipe it is a 125 Hz frequency that is the drone. I am in the process of making a noise canceling chamber that is tuned to cancel that frequency. I am going to make a post about how to diy it soon, it sounds complicated but is really simple.

John R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Murphy View Post
Cannot stand the noise level any more so I talked with UUC about their TSE3 system that I have. It is about the same sound as a set of headers. Basically it will take longer resonators in place of the existing ones to make it quieter. Can't go wider as there is not enough room between the two pipes. Apparently the longer the better. UUC is asking Corsa, the maker, about the exact resonator to install. I will try two first then if this is not enough I will install the 2nd pair for a total of 4 longer resonators. Then, as a last resort
will be longer mufflers.

Jim
johntrhodes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #123
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
With my stock ZHP exhaust, it's just louder. I don't have any drone. Not sure what Jim is experiencing with the UUC exhaust but the TSE3 really isn't much more than some tubing with a tuned resonator - of course it's tuned for the stock manifolds and these MagnaFlow units may have changed the frequencies which come into play (I think this is exactly why the TSE3 is so bad when paired with catless headers).

I'll be very interested to see how you go about designing and building the noise cancelling chamber. You probably won't be able to effectively capture the sound change on video but see if you can get some before and after recordings anyway.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 07-22-2011 at 07:47 AM.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:47 AM   #124
JB_ZHP

My Ride: 05' ZHP Dinan 3
When I had the Magnaflow cat-back with my cat-less headers I had a lot of drone...now I have Borla cat-back and still have some drone around 2000-2500 rpm's but the Borla sounds much better with cat-less headers than the Magnaflow, IMO.

Looking to switch to the Magnaflow headers this fall to solve the drone issue and quite the exhaust down a bit.

I'm interested to read more about this sound chamber!!
Old 07-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #125
Jim Murphy

My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
The Magnaflow cat/headers are about the same sound as having headers with cats added because they both have straight through routing (critical aspect). The sound is especially loud when you do a brief (or longer) WOT and then also when cruising above 3K rpm it is a floorpan vibrating drone. UUC says that the TSE3 is designed for the stock header/cats only. I am waiting to hear what the Corsa tech people tell UUC.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Murphy; 07-22-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #126
johntrhodes81

My Ride: 2004 325i Wagon
Quote:
The Magnaflow cat/headers are about the same sound as having headers with cats added because they both have straight through routing (critical aspect). The sound is especially loud when you do a brief (or longer) WOT and then also when cruising above 3K rpm it is a floorpan vibrating drone. UUC says that the TSE3 is designed for the stock header/cats only. I am waiting to hear what the Corsa tech people tell UUC.

Jim
Then it doesn't sound like what I am working on would help you since it is general loudness over 3k.

John R.
johntrhodes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #127
aggieE46
Keep it clean

At least Rob didn't give you a speech on how headers are useless and make no power on an E46. No, your dyno chart is lying. NOPE, I'M NOT LISTENING!!!

I ran into the same issue. Rob didn't have any good advice for me, just told me my headers were junk.

Quote:

Jim
Old 08-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #128
TxZHP04

Just thought I'd provide positive confirmation that these cats are indeed OBDII friendly. I recently checked the OBDII readiness monitors since I hadn't done this post install and all systems are indeed "ready".
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
Old 08-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #129
aggieE46
Keep it clean

Nice!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #130
Jim Murphy

Swapped for a stock 330Ci muffler yesterday and the car is much quieter - my wife is now happy.

Jim
Old 08-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #131
coriolanus

My Ride: 05 330i
Good to hear as I'm about to go the Magnaflow/cat/headers route with a stock exhaust on 330i.
coriolanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #132
JB_ZHP

My Ride: 05' ZHP Dinan 3
Quote:
Swapped for a stock 330Ci muffler yesterday and the car is much quieter - my wife is now happy.

Jim
Just the rear section?

Last edited by JB_ZHP; 08-12-2011 at 09:13 PM.
JB_ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #133
coriolanus

Getting a baseline dyno tomorrow for the car. All that is on it at the moment is a BMW Performance Intake. Magnaflow headers are off to Swain Tech getting coated (White Lightning) but it will be a bit before getting them back as I am on the west coast. After install, I will dyno again with just the headers and intake which I'll post, sorry about the auto but we'll get some idea about gains. Should I get a tune before the 2nd dyno? Thanks Aggie for the reference, John gave me a deal. TxZHP04, hopefully this won't take too long.
OEM M-Tech II|TMS Sways|TMS Control Arms|Koni FSD-Eibach|BMW Performance Intake|Stewart Water Pump|VMR VB3|Rogue Engineering Shock Mounts|3M Tint|OEM Clear Lens Kit|SS Brake Lines|Zimmerman Cross Drilled Rotors|Performance Friction Z|Umnitza V2 Opaque|Swain Coated Magnaflow Headers|
Old 08-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #134
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolanus View Post
Should I get a tune before the 2nd dyno?
If your ultimate plans are to add FI, I wouldn't bother with a tune right now.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:34 AM   #135
coriolanus

Indeed, that is where I'm trying to arrive at, an ESS TS2 Supercharger but want to get as much prep as I can.. Thanks for the advice.
OEM M-Tech II|TMS Sways|TMS Control Arms|Koni FSD-Eibach|BMW Performance Intake|Stewart Water Pump|VMR VB3|Rogue Engineering Shock Mounts|3M Tint|OEM Clear Lens Kit|SS Brake Lines|Zimmerman Cross Drilled Rotors|Performance Friction Z|Umnitza V2 Opaque|Swain Coated Magnaflow Headers|
Old 08-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #136
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolanus View Post
Indeed, that is where I'm trying to arrive at, an ESS TS2 Supercharger but want to get as much prep as I can.. Thanks for the advice.
And when you get this SC, I suspect that it is a twin screw version, then I would like to talk with you about buying this "BMW Performance Intake" as it will be coming off the motor for the ESS TS2. I have the AA/2 SC ("turbo on a stick") and I would be interested to see if yours is different/better than a stock ZHP intake AND if it will even fit my car. Always looking for easy/cheap ways to get more HP.

Just curious.

Jim
Old 08-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #137
coriolanus

I will keep you first in mind. Although I've read of ZHP owners fitting this, plug and play, I have no idea if it would be better/different than what you have stock. On this base 330i the butt dyno told me the engine seemed more efficient/slightly smoother, more sensitive throttle response and wants to run to redline quicker, improved MPG but as I said, butt dyno......Looks really nice in the engine bay.
Is your car exhaust stock, post headers?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #138
TxZHP04

Quote:
And when you get this SC, I suspect that it is a twin screw version, then I would like to talk with you about buying this "BMW Performance Intake" as it will be coming off the motor for the ESS TS2.
The ESS TS SC'er kits are designed to utilize the stock intake so the kit doesn't include an intake of any sort. Unless coriolanus just wants to switch to something else (and I wouldn't recommend that he do that), he'll need to keep his BMW Performance intake for use with the SC'er.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #139
coriolanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
The ESS TS SC'er kits are designed to utilize the stock intake so the kit doesn't include an intake of any sort. Unless coriolanus just wants to switch to something else (and I wouldn't recommend that he do that), he'll need to keep his BMW Performance intake for use with the SC'er.
That's what lack of coffee will get me. Of course, I'll need that intake.....
Dyno'd car today and have the dynopression, about what I expected, I'll post when I have something to compare it to. The auto downshift to 3rd was perplexing to the guys at the acura/honda shop. Had to drive 3hrs. to Eugene. 185.18whp 173.55 mx torq. Dyno Jet, Auto Tranny GM360. Can't wait for headers.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #140
Jim Murphy

Then, obviously, I have not looked at a TS SC close enough as my first impression (wrong) was that the TS mounted directly to the intake ports.
I am an old V8 kind of geezer who thinks a SC is a 671 mounted on top of a V8. Now I need to learn about this "BMW Performance Intake" and whether it is worth the money (whatever that is). And where do you find one.

Jim