E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #701
///Mvious

My Ride: E46 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by secono330ci View Post
I'm actually in my garage prepping the car for a Dyno tune for the cams at Lutz Performance in a few weeks. Changing Spark Plugs, Fuel Filter, new intake boots, cleaning out the Throttle Body and MAF. Can't wait.
Looking forward to seeing what she puts down! Lutz huh, how'd you decide on them? Local?

How's the 540 treating you btw?
Old 12-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #702
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
Yea, somewhat local. They're in Tampa. It's a bit far from me cause I'm on the east coast, but they seem to really know what they're doing so I don't mind the drive.

The 540 is good man. 110k on the clock and still runs great. Needs new suspension but other than that I love driving it. Can't beat the v8 torque. It's a perfect cruiser.
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #703
///Mvious

Quote:
Yea, somewhat local. They're in Tampa. It's a bit far from me cause I'm on the east coast, but they seem to really know what they're doing so I don't mind the drive.

The 540 is good man. 110k on the clock and still runs great. Needs new suspension but other than that I love driving it. Can't beat the v8 torque. It's a perfect cruiser.
When's dyno day? I predict 230whp/220wtq if it's on a Dynojet

I almost picked up a 540 a while back...gobs of torque! I loved it but the guy wouldn't budge in his price (which was overpriced). Well at 110k and nearly 15yrs old, I'd say any car would be due for a suspension update...
Old 12-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #704
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
540s are great my dad almost picked one up, but he got a, e60 535 instead

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #705
325rider

My Ride: gone, not forgotten
Send a message via AIM to 325rider
Awesome thread Secono. I had a similarly modded e46 m54b25 and she was a BLAST. I am now in an e90 M3 and while the power/car is in another league, it will NEVER replace what a lightweight e46 with schtick 264/248 cams and open headers feels like. I had AA do a custom dyno tune on mine… what tuning are you currently running for your modded M54b30?

Schrick 264/248 | Ebay Headers | AA dyno tune | SSR GT2 18x9 | 3.46 | Full OEM Mtech 2

My Fitness YouTube Channel!!! Thanks for all the support I am GRATEFUL

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCozwn8gNwXQVuG0se8cTpUQ
325rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #706
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325rider View Post
Awesome thread Secono. I had a similarly modded e46 m54b25 and she was a BLAST. I am now in an e90 M3 and while the power/car is in another league, it will NEVER replace what a lightweight e46 with schtick 264/248 cams and open headers feels like. I had AA do a custom dyno tune on mine… what tuning are you currently running for your modded M54b30?
congrats on the upgrade i bet its awesome
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:45 AM   #707
secono330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325rider View Post
Definitely not.,The e46 was the best car produced by BMW by a long shot. Congrats on the new ///M. They are amazingly engineered machines.
I'm thinking also that once my new job comes along I'll be picking up an e92 competition package manual with the carbon roof. Preferably and most likely in Melbourne Red. I also have a soft spot for a clean white e90 ///M with stock 18's. I would need to retrofit a carbon roof though. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBbimmer View Post
When's dyno day? I predict 230whp/220wtq if it's on a Dynojet

I almost picked up a 540 a while back...gobs of torque! I loved it but the guy wouldn't budge in his price (which was overpriced). Well at 110k and nearly 15yrs old, I'd say any car would be due for a suspension update...
Not sure yet but still working on getting the car ready for it. I'll attach some pictures in a sec of what I've been doing.

And yes the 540 needs suspension. I'm thinking Koni FSD's and Eibach Springs.

On to the pictures...
Old 01-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #708
secono330ci

Ok so here we go:

First and for most, which has nothing to do with my car lol, but my best friend Rex.

]

Now on to the car.

Timing of the Vanos was done once again. At the time I didn't know that I needed to swap the helix gears from the old oem BMW cams to the new Schricks. This plate you see on the intake cam aligns the gear perfectly on to the new cam. It also has a label for the exhaust side. Again, when going from oem BMW cams to Schrick cams you need to swap the helix gears from the old cam to the new one. The problem is, without this tool, there is no indication in which direction to mount it so I just positioned it the best I could. Surprisingly the first time I did it, I was VERY close and the alignment was only about 2mm off.
However, I wanted to do it right. With this tool, I got it right on the money. This part can be found on Turnermotorsports.

Here are all the Vanos components:

Now moving them back into the car: (dad wanted a shot also!)

Timing time!

Now as a precautionary measure, I replaced the Primary Timing Chain tensioner spring. I was actually surprised that my old one was still in pretty good shape. I know some people upgrade to the m3 tensioner, but in my opinion it's too expensive and the new spring will do its job just fine.

Random, but also the window trim I'm painting gloss black.

And now for the good stuff!!!!

And finally seeing what it would look like

I still need to do the starter which I've been procrastinating on, but the sunroof delete should be on by tomorrow once I buy some black sealant silicone. Can't wait!

Last edited by secono330ci; 01-03-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:27 AM   #709
secono330ci

Ok so the starter is a b1tch to do on this car. The 6 speed trans is huge and makes it almost impossible to reach the bolt that holds it in place so I'm just going to drop the trans. It'll make things 10 times easier.

Speaking of the trans, VAC sent me the wrong flywheel that I've been using this entire time without knowing. I'm guessing they sold me the 5 speed JB flywheel because it doesn't have the pilot bearing built into it. These are specific to 6 speed flywheels. The 6 speed trans input shafts are shorter than the 5 speeds and ///M's so they need the pilot bearing to sit closer to it. JB makes an adapter specifically for this so I'll be ordering one. As for now the input shaft is just spinning freely which is causing some vibration, obviously. VAC is an awesome company, but they SERIOUSLY need help in their sales department.

Any suggestions for things to do while I'm in there? I'm thinking maybe replace the bushings in the selector rod.

I also have a stainless steel clutch line from bimmerworld I never installed, but I'm not sure how it works when I replace it. I just need to bleed the brake system right? From what I understand it runs on the same system.

Oh and sometime this week I'm traveling up to North Carolina. Found a good condition NON-sunroof headliner for the carbon sunroof delete.

Last edited by secono330ci; 01-05-2014 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:55 AM   #710
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
Stav's 330 N/A Progress Thread

As for the clutch line you do as you mention and bleed it from the brake system.

Stainless clutch lines feel so good, I have a rogue engineering one in my e30.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:10 AM   #711
nleksan

My Ride: 328Ci, 325i, 740i
Send a message via AIM to nleksan
I've enjoyed the build thread, lots of effort but it shows!

- DPE - Apex - BBS - PFC 6/4 2pc BBK - KW Clubsport - PowerFlex -
- M-Tech - Rogue Engineering - Ground Control - Odyssey -
- Hotchkis - AFE - UUC - AKG - Dinan - VAC - TC Kline -
- TMS - OS Giken - SuperSprint - Vorsteiner - Recaro - Samco - Fluidyne - MORE! -
GARAGE:
- 2000 328Ci Topaz 6MT-Swap ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/HID/HK (Street/Track)
- 2001 325i TiAg 5MT/ZSP/ZCW (Street)
- 2006 M3 ZCP AW/IR 6MT/ZCP/HID (Street)
nleksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #712
DarkJoker

My Ride: 01 330ci
Quote:

I also have a stainless steel clutch line from bimmerworld I never installed, but I'm not sure how it works when I replace it. I just need to bleed the brake system right? From what I understand it runs on the same system.
It is the same system but it's not at the same time.
I ran into that issue when I did my clutch/flywheel and ss line.
The only way I could get the air out of the slave cylinder to bleed is by doing it backwards.
You'll save a ton of time and a ton of brake fluid.
And what I mean by back bleeding is.
You get one of these from an auto parts store....

fill it with brake fluid and get a piece of rubber hose
Attach one end to the oil squirter and the other to the slave cylinder and open up the bleeder and force the fluid up through the reservoir.
No air pockets have a chance at getting trapped anywhere.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #713
///Mvious

Good lookin GSD pup...Great dogs! I was between a GSD and a Giant Schnauzer...a great breeder had a litter with pup available so went with the Giant. Anyway...sounds like she'll be running right for the dyno. You now have me wanting that sunroof delete. That mod was further down my list since I was thinking it would be pretty pricey with the slick top and the involved install & paint.

Where in NC are you going? I'm 10 miles south of Charlotte, if your coming through hit me up!
Old 01-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #714
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:

Any suggestions for things to do while I'm in there? I'm thinking maybe replace the bushings in the selector rod.

I also have a stainless steel clutch line from bimmerworld I never installed, but I'm not sure how it works when I replace it. I just need to bleed the brake system right? From what I understand it runs on the same system. Just make sure you either remove or drill out the "CDV" if you haven't yet, link provided below.

Oh and sometime this week I'm traveling up to North Carolina. Found a good condition NON-sunroof headliner for the carbon sunroof delete.
Here.

http://www.nexternal.com/uuc/article...dv_removal.htm

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #715
///Mvious

Any updates??
Old 04-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #716
secono330ci

Hey everyone just a "small" update but I will be heading down to Nick at Technique Tuning for a Dyno tune in a few weeks. Not sure the exact date but sometime in early May. Stay tuned.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #717
///Mvious

How's it running after timing it again? Notice any difference? I'm hoping to get cams in by the end of the year and also tackle Vanos seals/anti-rattle kit and VCG while I'm in there...so I'll need this timing tool along with the tools from GAS? Looking forward to seeing the numbers before & after tune!
Old 04-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #718
Harry330

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Hey everyone just a "small" update but I will be heading down to Nick at Technique Tuning for a Dyno tune in a few weeks. Not sure the exact date but sometime in early May. Stay tuned.
Please get a baseline on his dyno first before any tuning is done. Then let him work his magic, we'd all like to see the results.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #719
secono330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mvious View Post
How's it running after timing it again? Notice any difference? I'm hoping to get cams in by the end of the year and also tackle Vanos seals/anti-rattle kit and VCG while I'm in there...so I'll need this timing tool along with the tools from GAS? Looking forward to seeing the numbers before & after tune!
It's running great! I actually found out recently that for the past ~40k miles I've been running the wrong gap on my spark plugs. I've been using Denso Iridiums time and time again and didn't realize they gap them at 0.044"...it's suppose to be at 0.032". No wonder why my Dyno back then read so low... It was pulling the timing. Anyways I re-gapped them to proper spec and jeez the car woke up.

And yes you'll need both the helix gear aligner tool and the Timing tools from GAS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry330 View Post
Please get a baseline on his dyno first before any tuning is done. Then let him work his magic, we'd all like to see the results.
I will, I can't wait!

Last edited by secono330ci; 04-10-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #720
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Your car has always been one of my top favs out of all the E46's. Keep it up man
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote