E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2015, 10:22 AM   #1
wcushing75

Brake replacement/upgrade quetion

I have a 2001 BMW 325xi ( E46 ) and was wondering if anyone has any ideas on an rotor and pad upgrade. I use the car on street only in the northeast and it's a commuter for the most part. I was going to stay with stock size and I do have the sport and premium packages. I have seen some Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors at a reasonable price and have read they're a reputable company and there's always brembo at a premium price but looking for recommendations. Is the meyle set fcp offers as good as stock or better?
wcushing75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
WinterBeemer

My Ride: 2004 325Xi
Personally I would stick with the OEM rotor & pad and upgrade the brake lines and brake fluid if you're looking for a little extra stopping power.

Last edited by WinterBeemer; 10-15-2015 at 11:25 AM.
WinterBeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
Rob43
Performance Suspension Guru

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcushing75 View Post
I have a 2001 BMW 325xi ( E46 ) and was wondering if anyone has any ideas on an rotor and pad upgrade. I use the car on street only in the northeast and it's a commuter for the most part. I was going to stay with stock size and I do have the sport and premium packages. I have seen some Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors at a reasonable price and have read they're a reputable company and there's always brembo at a premium price but looking for recommendations. Is the meyle set fcp offers as good as stock or better?

Unless you're specifically going for the "Look" of a Drilled or Slotted rotor, I'd tell you to stick with stock OE rotors.

For a Great braking upgrade, go with either;

1) PFC "Z" Rated Pads (BimmerWorld)

2) Stoptech Street Performance Pads (Tire Rack)

Don't waste your money on a ~$100 dollar set of braided brake lines because it's Not a race car, your stock lines work Great for DD use.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

NEW E46 Xi COILOVERS DISCOVERED FOR ~$729 SHIPPED
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Inexpensive Coilovers Like: Jom, RL, SE, RK, SW, & FK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
891CARLOS

My Ride: 2003 E46 325XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterBeemer View Post
Personally I would stick with the OEM rotor & pad and upgrade the brake lines and brake fluid if you're looking for a little extra stopping power.
+1 or upgrade to a 330 set up. Direct bolt on with our XI's and then maybe contemplate about drill/slotted discs, not my taste but you can go for it.

I got the calipers from a junked 330i and bought OE rotors/pads. There is a lot of info here about this upgrade. Just an FYI, you might read that the rear needs modification, that only applies to non-XI models.

True Keyless Push Button System
Sports Steering Wheel
Eonon GA5150/Reverse Camera
HID projector retrofit + LED angel eyes
Smoked corners
Smoked LED Tails
Topspeedauto Catless Headers
Innovate LC1
Mtech ll Rear Bumper w/CF Diffuser
Vintage Gold 18" M3 Wheels
891CARLOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:11 AM   #5
selma

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325xi
my xi is a northeast commuter too, and I just finished a brake overhaul on it... de-rusted eeeverything, threw on new (blank) rotors, ceramic pads, parking brake shoes, and rebuilt calipers, and flushed the fluid... I couldn't be happier, and neither could my wallet. a clean DD is a happy DD, so don't waste your money where you don't need to!?
2004 BMW 325xi 5MT | Bilstein shocks/struts | H&R Sport Springs | Morimoto Mini D2S bi-xenon retrofit | E60 shift lever w/ ZHP knob | OEM Style 67 18s refinished in Porsche Ice Silver Metallic | Lamborghini green interior trim/calipers/lug covers (+250hp) | various maintenance overhauls | etc. things I broke and am too lazy to fix at the moment | stockpile of parts for built engine swap… |

2010 Mercedes C300 Sport 4MATIC | stock af |
selma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:48 AM   #6
wcushing75

Cool that's what I was thinking especially after buying it and getting the bimmer oil and filter and both camshaft position sensors. My wallet will need a break soon. I know a lot of people have said count on spending 1000 after the initial purchase but I don't ever think I'll be racing this car and the BMW engineers are a lot smarter than me so stock brakes should be more than fine for dd. I have noticed that all 4 rotors look grooved and worn. So I definitely want to change them before winter sets in.
wcushing75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:27 AM   #7
jfoj

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5
I run PowerStop systems on almost all of my vehicles.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...%3Abmw%3A325xi

Verify the application and part number before you decide to pull the trigger. You might be able to shop around for better pricing, but Amazon usually has attractive pricing.

I have been very happy with the price and performance of these systems.

I have these on Chevrolet, GMC, VW and BMW's in the fleet.

Have not run these long enough to require replacement, so not 100% how many miles I will see from these set ups. Lower brake dust then BMW OE set up.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 10-17-2015 at 07:28 AM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
selma

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcushing75 View Post
Cool that's what I was thinking especially after buying it and getting the bimmer oil and filter and both camshaft position sensors. My wallet will need a break soon. I know a lot of people have said count on spending 1000 after the initial purchase but I don't ever think I'll be racing this car and the BMW engineers are a lot smarter than me so stock brakes should be more than fine for dd. I have noticed that all 4 rotors look grooved and worn. So I definitely want to change them before winter sets in.

well, you should see the grooves in my old rotors after I finished hammering them off haha... did I mention there was a lot of rust? 0__o I would definitely stick to your basic options, but maybe go with a lower dust pad like I did and consider rebuilding the calipers if they're as gunky as mine were. if you're anywhere near amesbury, take a trip to turner motorsport and see what they have in stock maybe? their facility is super cool if you haven't experienced it yet
2004 BMW 325xi 5MT | Bilstein shocks/struts | H&R Sport Springs | Morimoto Mini D2S bi-xenon retrofit | E60 shift lever w/ ZHP knob | OEM Style 67 18s refinished in Porsche Ice Silver Metallic | Lamborghini green interior trim/calipers/lug covers (+250hp) | various maintenance overhauls | etc. things I broke and am too lazy to fix at the moment | stockpile of parts for built engine swap… |

2010 Mercedes C300 Sport 4MATIC | stock af |
selma is offline   Reply With Quote