E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #81
AW330

My Ride: 03 AW 330I AA Stg 2.
If you wanna do this, you gotta do it right.

I dont know why people would wrap It around the spare wheel well? Sry Chad lol
Old 02-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #82
rigsvt

My Ride: MUSTANG BULLITT
almost done
rigsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #83
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: manual stl gry 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW330 View Post
Actually Daron and I were talking about this. The reason his pipes were done that way was because his car is a 323, so he had a single pipe going into a y-pipe to two pipes and it was easiest to wrap it around the spare well like that. We did talk about splitting it up since we 330 owners have 2 pipes, so mine will most likely be mapped similar to yours.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #84
AW330

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd330 View Post
Actually Daron and I were talking about this. The reason his pipes were done that way was because his car is a 323, so he had a single pipe going into a y-pipe to two pipes and it was easiest to wrap it around the spare well like that. We did talk about splitting it up since we 330 owners have 2 pipes, so mine will most likely be mapped similar to yours.
I was just messin around with ya bro. Yeah man this way is more functional and sounds badass
Old 02-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #85
Bartacus

My Ride: 2002 320i Sedan
Is it bad that I actually want to leave work early, just because I can't see these pics at work?
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #86
AW330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Is it bad that I actually want to leave work early, just because I can't see these pics at work?
Haha nah bro your a fanatic!
Old 02-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #87
rigsvt

Quote:
I was just messin around with ya bro. Yeah man this way is more functional and sounds badass
sound clip please, and specs on the set up
Old 02-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #88
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: manual stl gry 330i
Quote:
lol, yeah, still debating on the mufflers though. I might do straight pipes for now.
Quote:
, man you are missing it.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #89
rigsvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd330 View Post
lol, yeah, still debating on the mufflers though. I might do straight pipes for now.

, man you are missing it.
.....nice
Old 02-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #90
Bartacus

My Ride: 2002 320i Sedan
Quote:
If you wanna do this, you gotta do it right.

You sir, are doing it right! But there is one very valid reason to go around the spare tire well: being in love with your current exhaust can and NOT wanting to lose the sound. That's what would kill me. I LOVE my exhaust too much to give that up. If I get this done this year, retaining the sound would be critical for me.

About this fender gap (assuming it'll still be there), has anyone considered just getting a body shop to use filler and simply pad the gap area? I had that done with the first cheap CSL bumper I ever bought. Thing was a piece of sh!t, wasn't straight, had a large wavy gap line beneath the entire front end of the car. My old body guy stiffened it a bit, padded the gaps, and the fitment was perfect after that. But then this was an 80 year old tiny German guy who was a MASTER, and is retired now.

EDIT: I was so horny to see those pics and I somehow feel "relieved" after viewing em. I wanna light up an after-sex cigarette now, and I don't smoke.

Last edited by Bartacus; 02-24-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #91
AW330

Quote:
You sir, are doing it right! But there is one very valid reason to go around the spare tire well: being in love with your current exhaust can and NOT wanting to lose the sound. That's what would kill me. I LOVE my exhaust too much to give that up. If I get this done this year, retaining the sound would be critical for me.

About this fender gap (assuming it'll still be there), has anyone considered just getting a body shop to use filler and simply pad the gap area? I had that done with the first cheap CSL bumper I ever bought. Thing was a piece of sh!t, wasn't straight, had a large wavy gap line beneath the entire front end of the car. My old body guy stiffened it a bit, padded the gaps, and the fitment was perfect after that. But then this was an 80 year old tiny German guy who was a MASTER, and is retired now.

EDIT: I was so horny to see those pics and I somehow feel "relieved" after viewing em. I wanna light up an after-sex cigarette now, and I don't smoke.
Yeah I suppose that could work, maybe down the line I'll do some work to it. But what exhaust are you running? If you have to go around the spare tire than I'll have to lose your muffler regardless
Old 02-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #92
FelizPrim3

My Ride: 02 325ci
wow this has helped me out so much! im going to start soon ill be posting my pics up!
2012 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T R-Spec
Follow me on instagram @Michael_Feliz
FelizPrim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:03 PM   #93
Devious1
Invalid User

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Devious1
aw330.. i'm looking forward to sound clips. i have mine "wrapped" around, and i've been meaning to add something to quiet down the exhaust some. i like what you did there.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #94
w0w

My Ride: '02 M3 Vert
the reason i did it around the spare tire well is you're gonna realize that 1. the pipes are gonna sit way too low when you look at the rear of the car and 2. its gonna scrape if you back out a steep driveway. MORE PICS
Old 02-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #95
AW330

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0w View Post
the reason i did it around the spare tire well is you're gonna realize that 1. the pipes are gonna sit way too low when you look at the rear of the car and 2. its gonna scrape if you back out a steep driveway. MORE PICS
Devious I'll get you some in a few, but I dunno if quieter is what this setup is lol. Its pretty loud and raspy now. I'm gonna have a custom x pipe built to put in section 1 between my headers and 1st resonator. That'll get rid of the rasp I believe.

Daron-

Honestly it's not sitting that low at all. The pipes are just as low as the stock pipes were and you cant really notice it from the back even with no diffuser. I'm gonna take some hi temp spray paint and spray the pipes black anyway.

I don't think I'm gonna scrape either, I've already gone in and out some steep inclines today and have yet to scrape so well see
Old 02-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #96
Devious1
Invalid User

ic that you removed the 2nd resonator. i still have both of mine, and want to figure out a way to quiet it down some more. i mean... no matter what i add to the system, it'll quiet it down, right? i doubt adding more resonators could make it any louder.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #97
Devious1
Invalid User

im suprised that 2nd pipe isn't hitting the drive shaft...
Old 02-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #98
AW330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious1 View Post
im suprised that 2nd pipe isn't hitting the drive shaft...
Yep it took alot of fiddeling around to get it to sit right, believe it or not there's alot more room there than u think. I'm no where near the drive shaft and it's now a true fully functional dual exhaust.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #99
rigsvt

how much longer before you get ur diffuser back?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #100
AW330

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigsvt View Post
how much longer before you get ur diffuser back?
Not sure, my guy is outta town until the end of next week and i don't think he's started on it yet, so prob 2-3 weeks. Sorry but no more updates for a little. But im down to answer any questions that you have. The first page will be edited into a DIY also, I'll post sound clips as well in a few.