E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 11:48 PM   #161
rigsvt

My Ride: MUSTANG BULLITT
Nicely done Alex, car looks really good
rigsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #162
King Kashi

My Ride: 06 BMW 330Ci M54 Eur
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW330 View Post
Alright after much trial and error and no official DIY on the OEM m3 rear bumper conversion i decided to give it a go. Here is a detailed DIY that i have put together to help out my fellow fanatics.

By no means am i a mechanic and any work done i did on my own free will and at my own risk. I will not be responsible for anything that happens to your car during your installation. I am just showing you the procedures that i did to convert my non m3 sedan rear end into an M3 rear bumper. Work on your car at your own risk!

Materials needed:

OEM m3 rear bumper w/ diffuser
Prefacelift bumper brackets
4-6 self tapping screws
Dremel
Drill
assortment of sockets and tools

heres a couple pics of the brackets you must use

These next few pics will show you what the bracket looks like in its original position. Notice the metal flap the is in front of the bracket and keep that in mind.

Those are 10 mm bolts holding the bracket in place. Remove these bolts and pull the bracket out and put it off to the side. You will need these later. Now you will see 2 studs hanging down from the rear quarter panel. Heres where the cutting starts.

Take your dremel, and remove the 4 studs (2 on each side) as they will get in the way of the new modified bracket.

Next the metal flap that sits in front of the bracket needs to be cut like this. This has nothing to do with the bracket itself but has to do with the bumper. These flaps will not allow the bumper to travel the distance it needs to and cause a nasty gap at the fender as u can see. Here is what u have to cut.

here you can see what i mean by the flap blocking the bumper, in this pic u can see where the bumper is now able to travel.

Now that you have that squared away, its time to modify the brackets. Reasoning for this is because the brackets need to be placed closer to the body of the car so that the bumper could be pulled in to line up with the fenders.

This is what you have to cut on the brackets.

This is what the new modified bracket should look like.

Now comes the tricky part. Place the bumper on the bumper shocks, take your new modified bracket, place it in the bumper sliders and position the bumper in the correct place. Make sure everything is lined up the way you want it and mark where the bracket is sitting. Remove bumper.

Now take your bracket and a self tapping screw, and mount your new bracket in your marked position. After you have 1 screw in place, put your bumper back on check and make sure the fitment is how you like. If fitment is off, remove bracket and reposition. If its in the right spot, than you can put your second self tapping screw in place.

Now that you have your brackets mounted you can place your bumper on and check fitment on both sides. What you are going to notice (especially on sedans) is that your bumper will be 1.25 inches short of your fenders as shown.

Well this bothered me too much, so before you bolt up your bumper pull it off one more time.

Now get into your trunk and remove the 2 side plastic trays and the long plastic sheild along the backside of your trunk. Than disconnect the negative terminal on your battery, u dont want your airbags going off now do u? Underneath you will notice 3 13mm bolts on each side. These hold in your bumper shocks as shown.

After those are removed you can just pull out the entire bumper shock assembly.

Next pull off the black plastic cap on the rear end of the shock, underneath you will see a white plastic plug.

Now measure 1 inch on the shock, from where it enters the housing. All u need is 1 inch even tho i measured 1.25 it is 1 INCH!
Now heres the fun part. You will need to drill into the white plastic plug into the shock to relieve the pressure

*****PLEASE WEAR PROPER PPE (PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT)*******

Goggles should be fine and a long sleeve tshirt. Reasoning behind this is because when you penetrate the shock, hydraulic fluid will fly everywhere and i mean everywhere.

Once you have penetrated the shock, push the shock in to your desired length (1 inch) More fluid will gush out and this is OK!. Once you have your desired length, take a screw and screw it into the hole that you just created. This is to seal the shock and keep the pressure that is still in the shock.

Do that to both sides, and reinstall the shocks in reverse order.

Now that your shocks are shortened and installed, its time to put your bumper on for final fitting!. If you still short, remove the shocks and screws and push it in another .25 inches at most. If not than bolt up your bumper and your good to go!

If eveything went well you should have something that looks like this!

If you have any questions feel free to PM me whenever ill be glad to help!

ur MESSAGE box is full !, looking for some help buddy, i came across a OEM M3 rear last night and want to start this project ASAP, i was reading thru the thread some ppl did it good and others had a headache.

wondering what is the best way to put this bumper on ??

thanks.

also some of the pics on the thread DONT open up. really hard for me to see how much work there is.

Last edited by King Kashi; 05-12-2012 at 05:16 AM.
King Kashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #163
Gr-Racing

My Ride: 325i
Pics on the exhaust?

Last edited by Gr-Racing; 10-11-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Gr-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #164
Rezist09

My Ride: 325i sedan
Bump no pics are working? Any links
Rezist09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #165
Eurohb

My Ride: E46 Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezist09 View Post
Bump no pics are working? Any links

+1 wish pictures worked.
Eurohb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #166
Wickedly

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
Can someone fix the pics???
Old 03-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #167
LV DON

My Ride: 330ci
Nice but I cant see the pic
LV DON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:23 PM   #168
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: manual stl gry 330i
Guys, stay tuned... I will have to build a new tread with new pic. Probably not this weekend coming up but the following.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #169
Wickedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd330 View Post
Guys, stay tuned... I will have to build a new tread with new pic. Probably not this weekend coming up but the following.
Yes , tuned for this for sure!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #170
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedly View Post
Yes , tuned for this for sure!!!
I will have to tear everything down, take pics and put it back together.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #171
Wickedly

Quote:
I will have to tear everything down, take pics and put it back together.
If I was there , I would surely help you ! Thanks a lot
Old 07-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #172
LuiGProdigy

My Ride: 2002 325i
I was out of hope with my M3 rear project until I found this thread.... I am also waiting on that new DIY. Plz!!! lol. I ordered the bumper already... I'm gonna try to work with what's on this thread... now I have an idea of what to do.

2002 325i

Style 197 18s - ZHP Bumper - Angel eyes - Smoked Tails and Corners - H&R Sports - AUX Radio MOD... More to come.
LuiGProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #173
Guram1993

My Ride: 325ci
Hey guys i been trying to figure everything out by reading, but i cant view the pictures in the original post which would help me out alot more, if anyone has solution on how to view these pics that would be great ,, thanks .
Guram1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #174
LV DON

Same here I'm putting mine on this week
Old 07-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #175
Guram1993

My Ride: 325ci
Are the m3 shock absorbers shorter ? If I just replace them ? Because by drilling a hole there is s less chance it will hold up the impact might break a neck or have a frame damage ' if anyone has a solution please let me know ' really iffy about putting a hole in the shock '
Guram1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #176
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Bump, OP is long gone. Does anyone have an archive or another DIY with pics?

Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #177
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

The Official: DIY OEM M3 Rear Conversion- Sedan

Lol, I am such a slacker. I have been meaning to make a new thread. Life is crazy right ow.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #178
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

The Official: DIY OEM M3 Rear Conversion- Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guram1993 View Post
Are the m3 shock absorbers shorter ? If I just replace them ? Because by drilling a hole there is s less chance it will hold up the impact might break a neck or have a frame damage ' if anyone has a solution please let me know ' really iffy about putting a hole in the shock '
I don't think so..but maybe.. I think the m3 body is wider..But it doesn't make sense if they are or not really cost effective. The ci shocks need to be shortened by .5" and the i but 1" iirc

Last edited by cd330; 07-23-2013 at 11:15 PM.
cd330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #179
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Lol, I am such a slacker. I have been meaning to make a new thread. Life is crazy right ow.

GET ON IT! I just want to see how its done before I jump on an M3 bumper. Looks great though.

Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #180
LV DON

I've been waiting months and I already have my bumper I just really need those pictures to finish up