E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

View Poll Results: Are you interested in a OEM harness interface?
No - that\'s a terrible idea 1 11.11%
Yes - But I\'d only like signal outputs 0 0%
Yes - I\'d like both signal and speaker wire connections 8 88.89%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2003, 07:17 PM   #1
rcurley55

My Ride: 2001 IR M3 Coupe
Factory interface....would you buy one...please read

So, I am just finishing up installing a system in my brother's E46, and I wanted to know if anyone would be interested in buying an interface that would allow you to disconnect the factory amplifier, and connect a line output converter without cutting any wires. Basically, a plug and play type of arrangement.

What about something that allows you to use the factory wiring to power your front speakers?

I'm looking into what it would cost to build a kit for those of you who want to install an amp or two, but want to keep the factory head (and wiring) intact.

What about one just for the sub on the HK system?

What would you guys be willing to pay for it?

I know that the info is out there, but some people don't want to deal with the hassle of building such a thing.

Please respond to the poll, and bump this thread to keep it close to the top.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Last edited by rcurley55; 05-05-2003 at 07:31 PM.
rcurley55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:33 PM   #2
tsmith2771

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
I am actually about to rip out my whole car to do just that, install a system on a factory deck. Call me picky but I have never seen an aftermarket cd player that looks good because of how big the factory deck is. I plan on using 2 xtant amps, two stealth boxes with jl audio w3's, polk components in the front, boston accoustics in the rear and two bostons 6x9's in the spot where the HK subs used to be. But I got to figure a way to do all that with using the factory deck but I think I know how I can.
tsmith2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 10:05 AM   #3
GarrettF
needs a new sig...

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to GarrettF
I would be extremely interested, i would like to do the same thing tsmith wants to do for the same reasons he has stated, i would pay a decent amount if the kit were to make it as easy as 1 2 3
Old 05-06-2003, 03:39 PM   #4
drgalleg

My Ride: '02 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to drgalleg Send a message via Yahoo to drgalleg
Uhm, how are you fitting all those speakers if you plan on using stealthboxes? Oh, and how are you replacing the ib8's with w3s?

Quote:
Originally posted by tsmith2771
I plan on using 2 xtant amps, two stealth boxes with jl audio w3's, polk components in the front, boston accoustics in the rear and two bostons 6x9's in the spot where the HK subs used to be.
drgalleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 04:47 PM   #5
rcurley55

Yes, that does sound next to impossible. I'm no BMW expert, but I was under the impression that when you put in the Stealthboxes, that's it for rear speakers.

One thing about audio...often less is actually more.

Old 05-06-2003, 04:54 PM   #6
abomb

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
I'm guessing you mean something where you disconnect those two connectors from the HK Amp, plug the connector into a little plastic connector that has 6" pigtails that you then crimp to the interface.

Something like this is rather common for other cars, like Toyota, GM, Ford, etc. where you plug your factory connector to this other connector and then crimp to the new head unit. I doubt one exists for BMW, but if you come up with one I'd love to have one over cutting the wires.

I'd probably pay $30, possibly up to $40, to avoid cutting wires.
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 05:01 PM   #7
rcurley55

Quote:
Originally posted by abomb
I'm guessing you mean something where you disconnect those two connectors from the HK Amp, plug the connector into a little plastic connector that has 6" pigtails that you then crimp to the interface.

Something like this is rather common for other cars, like Toyota, GM, Ford, etc. where you plug your factory connector to this other connector and then crimp to the new head unit. I doubt one exists for BMW, but if you come up with one I'd love to have one over cutting the wires.

I'd probably pay $30, possibly up to $40, to avoid cutting wires.
Thanks for the info....and yes you have it right. Basically a plug similar to what you would find if you were going to install an aftermarket headunit, but it would interface just as you described.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:06 PM   #8
abomb

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Also, as for costing, I'm going to guess that it's not going to be significant. All you really need is to get in touch with the manufacturer of the connector inside the amp and then find pins to work with it. The connectors I'm going to guess will run about $3-$5 each with pins, then you need to assemble the mess of wires, come up with a wiring diagram, and sell it.

Don't know how profitable it will be, you're not talking major economies of scale here. But it would definately be helpful to have, and you might make it to "hero" status in my books for selling it.

Good luck!
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 05:12 PM   #9
rcurley55

Quote:
Originally posted by abomb
Also, as for costing, I'm going to guess that it's not going to be significant. All you really need is to get in touch with the manufacturer of the connector inside the amp and then find pins to work with it. The connectors I'm going to guess will run about $3-$5 each with pins, then you need to assemble the mess of wires, come up with a wiring diagram, and sell it.

Don't know how profitable it will be, you're not talking major economies of scale here. But it would definately be helpful to have, and you might make it to "hero" status in my books for selling it.

Good luck!
Believe it or not, I used to work for the connector manufacturer (Amp) and couldn't get my hands on that part. I have made NUMEROUS phone calls to try to track one down.

It will be a custom design if I do it. I'm just trying to gauge interest at this point in time. I don't plan on getting rich, but a few bucks in my pocket and some happy BMW owners (maybe that will get me enough carma with the car gods to send an E36M3 my way) is all I'm looking for.

I'll keep everyone updated.