E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Locutus09

My Ride: Something Slow
And People Want to Eliminate Stand your Ground Law (Castle Doctrine ITT)

Success Story of Castle Doctrine. 2 Cities over from home.

911 Tape inside:

Quote:
BEDFORD HEIGHTS, Ohio - Bedford Heights police Detective Kenneth Hatcher said a homeowner shot a man with a 45 caliber handgun who broke into his house on Mardale Avenue around 11 a.m. Wednesday.

It all began, detectives said, when the burglar tried unsuccessfully breaking into a neighbor's house. A man next door heard commotion and looked out his window to see what was going on and called 911. That's when detectives said the burglar smashed some flower pots then smashed his way through a front window in the 5300 block of Mardale Avenue and crawled in.

The homeowner can be heard on the 911 call telling the burglar to leave and get out of his house or he'll "blow his head off." The suspect wouldn't listen and instead began rummaging through a drawer and grabbed a knife, police said. Fearing for his life, the homeowner grabbed a gun and shot the suspect once in the torso.

*WARNING* Below 911 audio is graphic. Click on the play button to listen

The 25 year old homeowner was not injured and will not be charged because he was protecting himself and his home police said,
The suspect was taken to Metro Health Medical Center for treatment of a single gunshot wound to his stomach.

Authorities expect the suspect to be charged with aggravated burglary and attempted murder.

Police said the suspect has a history of mental illness and has been in trouble with police in the past including a harassment complaint against him at the neighbor's house a couple of years ago.
http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/loc...#ixzz1t536l1Vc

Last edited by Locutus09; 04-26-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Locutus09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife.
Wouldn't this be covered under the Castle Doctrine, not Stand Your Ground?

ETA - doesn't look like Ohio has a Stand Your Ground Law, just Castle Doctrine.

Last edited by Serbonze; 04-26-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Castle not Stand.

Castle is not subject to change in FL and never will.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Many330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Well, the accused has a history of mental illness,..and,...was looking for a knife inside the victim's house: surely he didn't come prepared. I feel the HO did good by incapacitating the guy than what the FL guy did. This is a responsible use of the law, not what Zimmerman did.

..but before we go any further, please clarify the race of those involved?
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
Locutus09

My Ride: Something Slow
True, that's my mistake. We have a duty to retreat.

Sorry, the title got mis-represented. I saw one of my "friends" on FB post an article about getting rid of all "stand your ground laws". Essentially this is a stand your ground law, but only applies in your home...hence Castle Doctrine.

Zimmerman case isn't closed. Don't make false assumptions please.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Many330i View Post
Well, the accused has a history of mental illness,..and,...was looking for a knife inside the victim's house: surely he didn't come prepared. I feel the HO did good by incapacitating the guy than what the FL guy did. This is a responsible use of the law, not what Zimmerman did.

For the love of God and all that is holy, please leave the Martin/Zimmerman incident and race out of this. There are absolutely NO similarities.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Many330i View Post
This is a responsible use of the law, not what Zimmerman did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
For the love of God and all that is holy, please leave the Martin/Zimmerman incident and race out of this. There are absolutely NO similarities.
Totally agreed. Especially people that have no clue about the law and what it does/doesn't cover.

Many330i (not personal), if Zimmerman is the first time you've ever read a statute or heard about legal processes, please stop commenting on that case or any other. Zimmerman's case is verbatim justified per state statute.

It's worse than nails on a chalkboard when I hear people talk about what's justified or not when they are basing their opinions on opinions, no real world experience and research. Learn something about the law, learn something about due process, learn something

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 04-26-2012 at 10:41 AM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Guy in the comments...

Quote:
This home owner did everything wrong. You call 911 after you deal with this guy. The 911 tape is just something the civil rights groups will use to try and hang you. And second mistake Never shot once double tap son double tap and if your in a position where you need to use the gun shoot to kill.
Have fun, JJ.

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!
SPDSKTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
Guy in the comments...

Have fun, JJ.
I actually agree. Except shoot to kill. Never shoot to kill, shoot to stop the threat. There is a MAJOR difference there.

Once the threat stops, you stop. 911 recordings can certainly go against you. If a threat was coming at me, I would not focus on a phone call, rather I would focus on the threat. In many cases, I can see not calling 911 even after a shooting. A justified shoot is legal, hence no crime is committed. No reason to hang around or tell anyone. I'll do my best to NEVER enter the justice system. I respect it enough to know I don't want to experience it, especially not volunteer for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 04-26-2012 at 02:21 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
Many330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Totally agreed. Especially people that have no clue about the law and what it does/doesn't cover.

Many330i (not personal), if Zimmerman is the first time you've ever read a statute or heard about legal processes, please stop commenting on that case or any other. Zimmerman's case is verbatim justified per state statute.

It's worse than nails on a chalkboard when I hear people talk about what's justified or not when they are basing their opinions on opinions, no real world experience and research. Learn something about the law, learn something about due process, learn something
Jon Jon, clarify the difference between the two other than OH vs FL?
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote