E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #21
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I really don't mind indoor ranges for some light shooting, but it's so limiting about what you really can do, and it really miffs me. I'd like to see someplace go like Scottsdale Gun Club up here, where they allow you to draw from a holster and do more aggressive shooting drills as long as you pass a proficiency test administered by the club. The one thing I LOATHE is going shooting on weekends at the indoor ranges. It's @ssholes and elbows in there, since we only have 2 in the immediate metro area (2 more within an hour's drive, but those don't count). Going on the weekends requires waiting for a lane and then shooting in between people who typically aren't the kinds of people I like to shoot around. There's always some d-bag there that I get stuck next to that's showing off to his lady friend, or some guy who has to attempt to tell everyone their business and correct their issues or critique their shooting or equipment. When I go to the range, I go by the same philosophy as in the weight room: Don't correct other people's form or offer unsolicited criticism, no matter how much it hurts YOU.
(The caveat being that on the range, I will only make comments if what they're doing really is going to physically hurt me. That just goes without saying.)

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 02-23-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #22
MrWesson

My Ride: 01 330CI/09 328i
The indoor range I go to allows draw fire but very few do. The one I go to is pretty hands off which is good and bad.
MrWesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:29 AM   #23
Reedo302

The two indoor ranges used to be owned by two separate companies. The main one was Bill's Gun Shop, and the north one was Armored Fire. While the north side one was Armored Fire, they were strict as hell. No more than one round per second could be fired, regardless of who you were or what you had. They would yell at you for anything and everything. There was this fat angry lady working there that was in her 40's, and she was the owner's wife. She watched the range, and she would stand at the windows with the microphone and yell at people over the PA system for an tiny infraction. One time she started yelling at me as I was collecting my brass. She goes "You'd better not be picking up brass that isn't yours! You don't know if all that is yours, so leave it there!"
To which I responded by walking back to the window and putting the back of the case flat against the window and pointed at it while staring her down. Then I mouthed "ten millimeter" while holding one of my clear box of reloads that said 10mm on it. Nobody else in there was shooting a 10mm. Man she was an angry dumb bitch. Every time I went in there I got hassled.
I got the last laugh though. She and her husband got arrested on federal drug trafficking and weapons charges. They were dealing cocaine out of the shop and I believe they were using guns for currency in some cases. Bill's Gun Shop bought it and it became Bill's North. They're still jerkwads up there, though. Still can't figure that one out.

Luckily, only another month or so until it's nice and clear out. I just got accepted at my new gun club after being on the wait list for a long time. Outdoor 342 acre range with multiple 25 & 50yd handgun pits, shotgun trap range, archery range, campground, 100yd blackpowder/shotgun range, clays tower, 200m General Purpose range with points at 50, 100, 150 & 200m, and NRA/CMP Certified 1000yd KD range.
Booyah.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...01929&t=h&z=16

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 02-24-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #24
honky

My Ride: 02 325i
I've been toying for a while with joining a private range after some of my 'experiences' with the public/gun shop/indoor ranges.

The 'horror' stories:
- Public outdoor, boyfriend decides to bring girlfriend on a date to the range; so there I am up at the line in the middle of firing a string; and I hear my buddy yell from behind me. As it turns out, this girl was up on the line, had a question, and what do novice shooters do? TURN AROUND WITH THE GUN! Guess I got bladed when she turned. Decided to call it a day.

- Gun shop Indoor: three young college kids, who looked like it was their first day at the range; trying out every gun the shop had. Of course I get stuck in the lane next to them. Pint size kid decides he wants to see how fast he can shoot a shotgun. Gun ends up walking up, results in him shooting the ceiling and target track. Range master was not happy.

The random/strange stories:
- Outdoor public range near an area of churches; on Sundays, everyone would finish mass and go shooting. While the parents shot, all the kids would be running around/playing behind everyone. All equipped with the ear protection. It was a strange sight seeing all these kids with gigantic phones running around.

- Same outdoor public range, maybe 7 people there; and there was this old Vet with the Vietnam Veteran hat w/ award pins walking around, doing some instructing. I was shooting my AK, and decided to bump fire the remaining rounds in my mag. Well that of course attracted some attention and glares; along with the Vet. He comes over and says "You know that sounds a lot different when its being fired at you". I start feeling terrible, but then he goes on to say (thick southern drawl): "Yeaaaah but this one time we had a guy up in a foxhole shooting at us with a Moooysin Neeegant Seven Six Twooo; so I took aim and waited for him to pop his head up and then let him have it. Well we went up there, took out a grenade and tossed it in there with him, cause he ain't gonna care. I still have that rifle today too. Untraceable. no papers or anything. And I told my buddy, if I ever needed to take care of someone, I have the perfect gun for the job." That's a no sh!tter. The things you see/hear at the range.....
Old 02-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #25
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
I mostly frequent indoor ranges in my area because they are so close. Luckily, I don't have any horror stories.

I do see the guy that brings his girl to the range, who just sits there watching, bored out of her mind. Every so often there is a girl that joins in the shooting, and I happen to find them more attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb_carpenter View Post
The indoor range I go to allows draw fire but very few do. The one I go to is pretty hands off which is good and bad.
Is this range anywhere near Tampa??
Old 02-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #26
MrWesson

My Ride: 01 330CI/09 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
I mostly frequent indoor ranges in my area because they are so close. Luckily, I don't have any horror stories.

I do see the guy that brings his girl to the range, who just sits there watching, bored out of her mind. Every so often there is a girl that joins in the shooting, and I happen to find them more attractive.

Is this range anywhere near Tampa??
No its in hollywood fl

Cecil webb is okay if you want to shoot skeet,handgun and 200yd rifle in the same day for free. Its in punta gorda but no draw or rapid fire I think(forestry range).
MrWesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #27
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
If I had a dollar for every time I was muzzled in a gun store or range.... always tempted to walk up and let them know that I could have them prosecuted for it (it's illegal to point a firearm at someone in Georgia, loaded or unloaded, without cause to shoot them).

My most uncomfortable experience was last fall. I went to visit my folks, my brother and his family in texas. Since I'd added some stuff to my collection I brought a few of my guns out with me (AR, CX4, and my handguns) for a day at the range with my brother and his guns (let's all shoot everyone's guns! Weeee~). Well, my dad was in the army and my mom has an irrational fear of guns so he wasn't allowed to own one so we decide we'll be nice and take him. Night before going, my mom (the gun-hater) decides to let us know that she wasn't to go shoot them too (MIND BLOWN!), unfortunately she has to work when we're going tomorrow. Well, I figured I'd go over the 4 rules and explain how a range works that night (had both of them together, seemed like a good time).

So it's me, my dad, my brother and his wife. We have my AR, CX4, PX4 and PX4 subcompact as well as my brother and his wife's XD9, XD40 compact and two pocket pistols. Not five minutes into the range time it's an unspoken agreement is made that someone will at all times be hovering over my dad. Couldn't do anything right. Try to turn around and muzzle people? Check. Unable to load/unload without trying to muzzle people? Check. The CX4 on a bipod with red dot at 30 yards and can't hit a 12" target? really??? Couldn't shoot, couldn't follow basic safety rules, just plain scary. Worst of all, I was the one that brought him there

Didn't get a chance to take my mom that trip but I plan on taking her next time I'm out there. Funny thing is, she's been scared of guns and didn't want them in her house ever but the only gun she'll be physically capable of firing (medical condition) is the AR. I'm going to take so many pictures of her shooting the "evil black rifle" and they're going on my facebook page
Wraisil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #28
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Guy walks up to the counter with his gun case, opens it to reveal a fully loaded pistol with the case full of ammo. He starts to reach for it, store employees immediately pull out from the hip. They didn't point at him but said if he motions towards it again, they'd be forced., he was eastern european and didn't know the gun laws here : facepalm:

Meanwhile, there I was just trying to get the deposit back for the range hanger the shop owner is a friend who trains people how to shoot. She says she gets used to having fully loaded guns pointed set her by people on the range who lose awareness, but it's a different story for someone to walk in loaded and start reaching for it on the showroom. Don't blame her

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #29
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Indoor ranges are new to me since moving to Austin, but it's all we have that I know of (I actually asked last time I was there if they knew an outdoor range, to which they replied "you know this city is the San Francisco of Texas")

I admit the noise bothers me, especially when there are some really big guns making folks jump, but I deal with it if I really want to shoot.

Problem is I've been trying to introduce my wife to guns (she's never been around them so she's naturally a bit scared). So I took her to the local shop/ range once, and even though she freaked out initially, she eventually calmed down after a few mins of watching people shoot while we waited for a lane (from behind the safety glass of course).

To my surprise, when a lane opened up she ASKED to go in with me (I expected her to beg stay outside). So at this point I'm thinking, once we get in there and I shoot a few rounds, I would ask her if she wanted to try it and hopefully take away some of the fear......but it was not to be.

Someone was shooting something REALLY loud in there (even for me)........ to her credit she stayed for a bit, then she tapped me and motioned towards the door......she'd had enough and retreated to the store completely rattled

So yeah, probably an unintended consequence is scaring off potential new shooters

Last edited by Ghostie; 02-25-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #30
davematuska

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP -Imola
Went to my local indoor range and was shooting next to a couple. Not quite gangster types but he had long dreads ect. You can tell alot about people from their gun selections. These two were real aficianados. She was shooting a Jennings Arms .22LR and he had a HiPoint 9mm. They were checking out with the clerks at the same time I was and "dreads" was complaining that the .22LR had "jammed" on him several times. It was actually misfiring. At this point the female clerk should have said "you get what you pay for" or "Rim-fires do that". Instead, she opens the fine crafted pistol box (actually the Jennings box with styrofoam lining that the pistol fits tightly inset....Like a toy gun would come in). She couldnt get the gun out on her first try so she put her finger in the barrel to pry it up. This didnt give her enough leverage so she stuck her finger in the trigger gaurd and pryed it up as I started protesting. The manager came over to see what i was making a fuss about and lost his mind. Took the pistol away from the clerk and pulled the slide. A single .22 round popped out! Stupid girl could have killed one of us. Now I try to go to the range when no one is there. Tuesday morning tends to work.
davematuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #31
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
you guys with outdoor ranges are so lucky. you dont have them here and the indoor experience is far from the best. i really have to take pics of what the range i go to looks like. it needs desperate remodeling and updating

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:21 AM   #32
pphil09

My Ride: Imola Red ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
My range has two separate 3 lane rooms for rifles and shotguns and like 20 lanes of pistols. Never really thought about much until I read your post.
Yeah, my hair was actually blowing because of the concussion even though there are stalls separating lanes. That was the day I decided I really wanted an AR15 though
Old 03-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #33
kevmo

My Ride: vDubDizzle
Send a message via AIM to kevmo
hahaha you want a funny one...

so this was a couple years back... i took my girlfriend at the time to teach her pistol shooting... on a off day.. where we wont really bother anyone taking our time... i see this lady in "uniform" trans police or some shyt... with this thug lookin' like dude... ok whatever... i'm like 7 lanes to the left of them anyways.. so i didn't care... so i teach her a few things.. and let her pop a few rounds off... i look over.. and this lady had it like 10 feet out (minimum 15 ft) and practing drawing from her holster and firing... funny thing is... her rounds even @ 10 feet was HORRENDOUS i lol'ed a little... then i watched her put it back in the holster... draw it out.. and she lost grip as her hand was going up.. and threw the gun halfway down the lane... ROFL i grabbed my gf n hid behind the lane incase it fired when it landed... they had to shut the range down so a RO can go get the gun... how embarrassing... LOL THEN her thug friend shot it sideways... rapid firing.. and hitting everything BUT the target.... including the ceiling... then i packed up and left before i or my gf got shot by accident.

kevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #34
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWesson View Post
If its too loud your too old. And I have pistols louder than a 12GA.

I like shooting my M38(short barreled Mosin Nagant) or short barreled saiga .308 at a local indoor range(the fireballs are quite a sight).

At my old range(outdoor unsupervised) 7 guys often show up with 1 gun and 1 set of earplugs(usually thug types). If they start to annoy me or act unsafe I would break out the M38 and send 6 of them to the parking lot.

I personally hate at an empty outdoor range some guy always picks the lane next to you and sprays you with AR/AK brass.
mosin nagant rifles will clear the range quickly.

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #35
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Horror Story
Indoor public range with a gun shop attached located in XYZ, Alabama.

The range officer (RO) has grown to trust me and started allowing me to carry in the shop area of the range (despite the "NO LOADED FIREARMS UNLESS AT THE LINE" sign). In walked a guy with "Gangsta Killer" tattooed on his arm (I'll call him GK for short). GK had a hoodie on, hood on his head, and it was nearly 95F outside. I could feel the red flags flying everywhere. He approached the counter and asked how much to shoot. RO was apprehensive (as am I) and explained everything and handed him a form to fill out. RO then asked if GK needed to rent a gun. GK responded with, "No... I got this one. Loaded and all!" He flipped the bottom of his hoodie up some to reveal a Hi-Point .45 stuffed in his waistband (no holster of any kind). He started to reach for it. Like clockwork, RO and I both drew without taking aim. My heart is now beating faster than it has climbing any hill in an inline marathon. GK put his hands up and took a step back. RO said, "Let him," referring to me "take that and clear it." GK still had his hands up and I took his pistol, checked it, and cleared it. Sure enough, it was fully loaded with one in the chamber. RO had MANY choice words to express to GK after that realization. GK didn't seem like such a GK after that. "I'm sorry, man... I really didn't know I couldn't have it loaded! I promise, sir, it won't happen again!" Begging and pleading to not be kicked out or have the cops called on him. Oddly enough, he actually did have a concealed weapons permit.

Some people...

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #36
Reedo302

What a dumbass. Even if you have a permit, you don't do stupid crap like that.
I hope one day he shoots his balls off. What a stupid way to carry a gun..
Good call your part.

Glock Armorer

Old 04-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #37
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I hope one day he shoots his balls off.
That makes two of us.

Quote:
Good call your part.
I really felt like there wasn't much choice. If GK would have taken some action and I didn't draw, there was the chance he could have dropped both RO and myself.

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #38
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
When I go to the range, I go by the same philosophy as in the weight room: Don't correct other people's form or offer unsolicited criticism, no matter how much it hurts YOU.
(The caveat being that on the range, I will only make comments if what they're doing really is going to physically hurt me. That just goes without saying.)
This!

There's a local range I avoid now because there's this idiot who works there. He's the type found at many gun shops - very overweight, wants to be 100% sure you know that he knows everything about guns, generally hates anything polymer, probably lives at home, etc. Anyway, he came up to my ex about 5 rounds into a 19 round magazine to correct her form. She wasn't doing anything dangerous, just a couple things that gun snobs don't feel is perfect form. One was the placement of her hand in the "cup and saucer" (which was admittedly awkward but not at all dangerous to her or anyone else) as well as her foot placement. I don't shoot with my feet even - I shoot with one further forward - and she picked that up from me. He and I went back and forth about it and he didn't particularly like me telling him that walking up to someone in the middle of pulling a trigger is more dangerous than anything he brought up to her. It's unfortunate bc it's a very nice indoor range - great facility and a fantastic selection of guns and hunting products.

But bottom line, I cannot understand why anyone would correct anyone else unless there is some element of danger involved. That's my biggest pet peeve in life, not just at the gun range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #39
DangerousMind

My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
The percussion of someone shooting a 50 cal Deagle next to you is no joke. This guy cleared most of the section that I was shooting in within 10 minutes. Many people just wear foam ear plugs while shooting at an indoor range. I wear both ear muffs and plugs while shooting at an indoor range - not solely to protect me from my own weapons' noise, but others.

I went skeet shooting with a friend of mine that had just inherited a bunch of guns from his grandfather, but had no gun safety training of any sort. He turned around with a 12 gauge and everyone in the place hit the deck. That wasn't the worst; the retard AD his shotgun about 5 ft from my other friend's feet. We took his gun from him and I refuse to go shooting with him to this day, depite a few others saying that his discipline has greatly improved.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #40
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
^All it takes is one mistake with someone to be on my permanent list of guys not to shoot with.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote