E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
csa714

My Ride: 2004 330cic
Hidden Aux?

Hi All -

My 2004 330 with HK business radio reads "AUX" when I toggle the "MODE" button - from what i have read this means that there is already an aux port installed!

buuut i cannot find it - glove box, ashtray - where else should i look? At wits end...

I am working under the assumption that the "aux" mode availability means there is a connection (which i read in this forum) ...is that wrong?
csa714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Jesse M

My Ride: 05' ZHP
Not 100% sure but the only time aux can be selected is if I have my phone connected, or else it just skips right over it. Do you have a cd changer?

Sent from my Galaxy S3.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
fastsoup

My Ride: currently seeking
Take out the radio (very easy) and look behind and see where the connection leads. If the AUX is coming up, it has to be connected.
fastsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
the intent of that was for a cd changer input. you can get a cable that will plug into the back of the head unit and you can run wherever you want for your iPod / iPhone.

$25 - ish

Search ebay for e46 Aux Input Cable

'03 325i. '74 Jeep CJ-5. '93 Sailfish 170XL. '12 Westside SS Longboard. One of these four are sure to be running at any given point in time.
Yewzer B Lewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
csa714

No - CD unit, but it is single CD only. Nothing in the trunk. I am going to take out the cup holder tonight and see if it is under there.

Tnx
Old 02-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
csa714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yewzer B Lewzer View Post
the intent of that was for a cd changer input. you can get a cable that will plug into the back of the head unit and you can run wherever you want for your iPod / iPhone.

$25 - ish

Great - tnx
Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Assuming you have factory radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse M View Post
Not 100% sure but the only time aux can be selected is if I have my phone connected, or else it just skips right over it. Do you have a cd changer?

Sent from my Galaxy S3.
AUX can be selected if the port is preloaded. That is, if resistors are already placed on the cable simulating a device connected to the port. I have the resistors connected, so I can get aux even when nothing is connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsoup View Post
Take out the radio (very easy) and look behind and see where the connection leads. If the AUX is coming up, it has to be connected.
+1. Do that.
But be careful with the radio harness though. If it is the first time you are unplugging it, you will need to slide the little plastic piece to the side and the harness pops out.
Dont just yank on the harness, you will break it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yewzer B Lewzer View Post

$25 - ish

Wrong.
CD Changer unit will have CD-01...06 display. Aux is for auxiliary input function only.

OP, just check inside the sunglass tray and glovebox.
I have my ports inside the glovebox.
You might not need to remove the radio at all.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
The instructions that came with the OEM aux cable is to have it wired to the glove box
Old 02-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
csa714

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Assuming you have factory radio.

AUX can be selected if the port is preloaded. That is, if resistors are already placed on the cable simulating a device connected to the port. I have the resistors connected, so I can get aux even when nothing is connected.

+1. Do that.
But be careful with the radio harness though. If it is the first time you are unplugging it, you will need to slide the little plastic piece to the side and the harness pops out.
Dont just yank on the harness, you will break it.

Wrong.
CD Changer unit will have CD-01...06 display. Aux is for auxiliary input function only.

OP, just check inside the sunglass tray and glovebox.
I have my ports inside the glovebox.
You might not need to remove the radio at all.

Yes stock HK business radio. Will re-check. thanks for the input
Old 02-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
pjsblowngt

My Ride: '04 330xi
It's prob not there, went through the same wit ending search! Hahaha! I too have a '04 330 with the Business radio. I purchased an inexpensive cable on eBay for about $10. It was was super cheap, and the cable cracked in about 6 months time. I ended up buying one from getbmwparts.com for $32. It's high quality, and long enough that you can route it to wherever you like. The cable has a connector on one end that will plug into the rear of your stereo, and the other end has the auxillary port on it. I actually installed mine in the panel where the heated seats and DSC buttons are. It was kind of a pain getting to that panel, but it looks like a factory install when complete. The directions that come with it suggest the glove box or along where the driver's right leg would be. I was searching their site to find the part number, but can't get it to load that way. If you go to getbmwparts.com, click on "BMW Accessories" and then click on "electronics portal" and the part is called: OEM BMW Auxiliary Audio Input Kit. It's towards the bottom of the list. Then you specify whether you have Nav or not. The one in the picture has a cheesy "Auxiliary Input" label on it, but that can be taken off. Save yourself the time and hassle, and just buy the BMW cable.

Last edited by pjsblowngt; 02-12-2013 at 06:25 PM.
pjsblowngt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
shovelit

My Ride: 03 325xi and 04 330x
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsblowngt View Post
It's prob not there, went through the same wit ending search! Hahaha! I too have a '04 330 with the Business radio. I purchased an inexpensive cable on eBay for about $10. It was was super cheap, and the cable cracked in about 6 months time. I ended up buying one from getbmwparts.com for $32. It's high quality, and long enough that you can route it to wherever you like. The cable has a connector on one end that will plug into the rear of your stereo, and the other end has the auxillary port on it. I actually installed mine in the panel where the heated seats and DSC buttons are. It was kind of a pain getting to that panel, but it looks like a factory install when complete. The directions that come with it suggest the glove box or along where the driver's right leg would be. I was searching their site to find the part number, but can't get it to load that way. If you go to getbmwparts.com, click on "BMW Accessories" and then click on "electronics portal" and the part is called: OEM BMW Auxiliary Audio Input Kit. It's towards the bottom of the list. Then you specify whether you have Nav or not. The one in the picture has a cheesy "Auxiliary Input" label on it, but that can be taken off. Save yourself the time and hassle, and just buy the BMW cable.
Did this qualify for free shipping or did you drop 8 bucks to ship?
Thanks.
shovelit is offline   Reply With Quote