E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #61
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
Do you have Automatic or Manual?

If you have manual you would have two electric fans. Check if they start when you car gets hot. There are two fans - in the front of radiator for the A/C at the back for the engine.

If automatic A/C fan is electrical and engine fan is mechanical driven by the belt and mounted on the water pump. It has viscosity clutch. When your car gets hot clutch must engage and fan must start spinning full force.

If you have a lot of pressure in the cooling system then this is a head gasket problem. Sometime no water is in the oil, but water disappearing though cylinders. Sometimes ini this case you can get hydro-lock when starting the car.
Manuals only have one electrical fan
Old 02-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #62
Bimmer_Addict

My Ride: E46 323i
So after a nice weekend in sin city and a nice win "Go Ravens" I came home to my beloved 99 e46 323i mt, checked coolant and it was low topped it off till the red floater popped out 2 red circles, car rated over heating as I idle, turned on the heater on full blast and the temp gauge was on the 12 o'clock mark and wouldn't overheat. I suspect it might be the fan, any one else does and my mechanic was closed so I couldn't read the codes if there was any. Any idea where the fan relay / fuse would be located. The reason I'm suspecting its the fan because I don't hear that loud jet noise I used t hear when A/C on or when car gets hot and fan kicks in. Please my fellow fanatics advise on where should I start. Thanks in advance.

00 E46 323I current
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo current
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Bimmer_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #63
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
It could be the fan, but you also shouldn't fill your ET that high. Fill it so the top ball or circle is level with the ET opening. Keeping it low reduces system pressure. Does your fan ever turn on? Have you tried bleeding the cooling system?
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #64
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Addict View Post
When I say all the way to the top I mean the red rod is sticking out the two red circle balls, I never had the coolant topped off where it's pouring out of the expansion tank so I believe I didn't cause any failure to my EP and by the way I have never blew any EP and never experienced over heating except with A/C on and Idling and the cause was the fan "electric" one as I'm on a MT car not auto and this has been changed with one from BMA parts a year or so ago but I'm highly suspecting it might be that fan cause I didn't hear it engage this time as the car got hot so I wana see how to diagnose that fan. Any other advices please?
Try testing your electric fan by turning your car on and then turn your ac on. Your fan should come on low when the ac is turned on. Now pull the electrical connector off of the temp sensor in the lower radiator hose. When you do that, your electric fan should go to full speed. If it does not, then it might be bad. The DME uses this temp sensor to control the fan speed.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #65
Bimmer_Addict

How do you unplug the sensor on the lower radiator hose with out having to remove it, I couldn't locate any plastic tabs or anything from that nature so I would just electrically disconnect and not remove it, any one have pics or guide? Also I can pin point if the fan is on or off, but for a fact I don't hear it as loud like it used to be when it kicks in at full blast.

00 E46 323I current
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 02-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #66
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
The electrical connector is like most other engine connectors. There is a metal bar that sticks out. Just press the metal bar in and then pull the connector off of the sensor.

I had a fan that would only come on low and not go to high when I did it. I replace the fan and have been fine since.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #67
Bimmer_Addict

Op , I'm suspecting its the fan because like I mentioned I don't hear it loud and ill go test it with the connector off as described, am I over reacting though since this very fan I had now was purchased in November 2011 from BMA parts and now I'm wondering that is the life span of it. Again prior to changing this fan my car would over heat with a/c on when I'm stopped, now over heats when Im stopped a/c off. Any suggestion of a vendor to buy a fan from that would last longer than 1year and 2 months cuz I'm pretty pissed off about that fan being a part that doesn't last. I'm wondering if under goodwill they can provide a fan at cheaper rate since its only 2 months off warranty,

EDIT: tested the fan and unplugged the sensor and saw some corrosion on the metal connectors, however when unplugged no loud fan noise is observed so that being said is it the fan for sure, sensor, thermostat or all three. I will still go to my mechanic tomorrow to see if there are any codes stored, he was closed today on a MONDAY, i wonder why!!!

00 E46 323I current
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD

Last edited by Bimmer_Addict; 02-04-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #68
Bimmer_Addict

Sensor connectors with some green oxidized stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1360032051.793856.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	489342  

00 E46 323I current
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 02-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #69
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
So after a nice weekend in sin city and a nice win "Go Ravens" I came home to my beloved 99 e46 323i mt, checked coolant and it was low topped it off till the red floater popped out 2 red circles, car rated over heating as I idle, turned on the heater on full blast and the temp gauge was on the 12 o'clock mark and wouldn't overheat. I suspect it might be the fan, any one else does and my mechanic was closed so I couldn't read the codes if there was any. Any idea where the fan relay / fuse would be located. The reason I'm suspecting its the fan because I don't hear that loud jet noise I used t hear when A/C on or when car gets hot and fan kicks in. Please my fellow fanatics advise on where should I start. Thanks in advance.
If you can't pull the dipstick up a 1/2" or so, you might be on the high side. If you drove your car and it was still warm when you filled it, you may be high...so do doublecheck that as mentioned. I always say fill so the balls straddle the top of the filler neck to be safe...when cold.

What was the last work you did on it...miles on car...what cooling stuff do you know was replaced?

Right now, I'd clean up the green stuff gently...use electric cleaner on every connection you can find...sounds like that's enough to create a fan issue. You may have lost a water proof gasket in there...idk...if there's one in there (probably is, it's probably green iirc...I'll look later if you remind me).

But, I honestly rarely hear my fan on...though you are in CA! Anyway, clean up the fan and see how it goes...but if that's not it, then it could be a number of things...many of them. Look at stuff and read cooling threads until you're sick. Mango pitches do it all, do it now, or die, alone, cold. He's so depressing...but he has a point. Otherwise, you start knowing your system well so you can figure it out. You have the car and we don't.

It 'could' be therm which isn't opening because it's 'soft failing' slightly closed--water pump could be on its final legs...the shaft has been known to slip within impeller...bearings go bad and when the composite impeller hits the block...you have plastic in your engine...and you're stranded when that happens.

Could be radiator is filthy inside or out and coolant is woefully poor. Temp sensor could be bad and not triggering fan...you'll find out soon.

Point is...it's a system. Opening it up is a pitb unless you have a garage fit for taking on dribbling coolant.

Depending on your mileage and auto/manual...full overhaul is whatever Mango says it is. You tell us your mileage, I'll tell you how long you have. I know it's a Tuesday, but that's all I can tell right now!

Anyway...look into things with xl50--100 lumen flashlight...oh, and look at pulleys and belts too...if one pulley is bad, replace all three. Belts every 2-3 years or so anyway. bmaparts has good prices and delivers amazingly fast.

Have fun!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #70
Bimmer_Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
If you can't pull the dipstick up a 1/2" or so, you might be on the high side. If you drove your car and it was still warm when you filled it, you may be high...so do doublecheck that as mentioned. I always say fill so the balls straddle the top of the filler neck to be safe...when cold.

What was the last work you did on it...miles on car...what cooling stuff do you know was replaced?

Right now, I'd clean up the green stuff gently...use electric cleaner on every connection you can find...sounds like that's enough to create a fan issue. You may have lost a water proof gasket in there...idk...if there's one in there (probably is, it's probably green iirc...I'll look later if you remind me).

But, I honestly rarely hear my fan on...though you are in CA! Anyway, clean up the fan and see how it goes...but if that's not it, then it could be a number of things...many of them. Look at stuff and read cooling threads until you're sick. Mango pitches do it all, do it now, or die, alone, cold. He's so depressing...but he has a point. Otherwise, you start knowing your system well so you can figure it out. You have the car and we don't.

It 'could' be therm which isn't opening because it's 'soft failing' slightly closed--water pump could be on its final legs...the shaft has been known to slip within impeller...bearings go bad and when the composite impeller hits the block...you have plastic in your engine...and you're stranded when that happens.

Could be radiator is filthy inside or out and coolant is woefully poor. Temp sensor could be bad and not triggering fan...you'll find out soon.

Point is...it's a system. Opening it up is a pitb unless you have a garage fit for taking on dribbling coolant.

Depending on your mileage and auto/manual...full overhaul is whatever Mango says it is. You tell us your mileage, I'll tell you how long you have. I know it's a Tuesday, but that's all I can tell right now!

Anyway...look into things with xl50--100 lumen flashlight...oh, and look at pulleys and belts too...if one pulley is bad, replace all three. Belts every 2-3 years or so anyway. bmaparts has good prices and delivers amazingly fast.

Have fun!
Car has 120k miles, 5spd manual transmission and around June 2011 this has been changed on the car from pelican parts and BMA parts for the fan only
New water pump (Graf)
New lower and upper radiator hoses
New Thermostat and gasket (Behr)
New idler pulley and aluminum water pump pulley
New tensioners
New drive belts
New temp sensor on lower radiator hose
New expansion tank and cap
New aux fan
Brand new BMW blue coolant with mix of water added some more after the short trip home is morning I parked it and before I go for attest drive as it cooled down the red floater wasn't sticking out nor leveled up with the neck filler so I added mor till it got to the correct level" there is a drawing on the tab of the ET shows whats max and whats low so it's at max now when the card is cold" again no leaking at any connection points of hoses and tank and T.stat that's why I'm not suspecting the water pump considering all these items were changed a year and half ago. The only thing that i didn't change was the radiator and the front of it looks dirty
like I said the fan once installed, it would sound loud and I would feel it in the steering wheel it might sound strange but it did have a high kick to it when it was engaged. What would my next steps be?

00 E46 323I current
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 02-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #71
dmax

You can't see the front of your radiator, but you should clean your condenser....the thing you think is the front of the radiator.

Clean up that corrosion and see how the fan works. I don't know enough to help you diagnose it...but you got good tips above for that.

Sounds like the rest of the system is good...shouldn't have wasted my time with that post above!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #72
Bimmer_Addict

Sorry for wasting your time, I will look up tips on cleaning the condenser if that's what it it is and not the radiator that's the only thing I see from the front then the fan follows so I thought it might be the radiator, I could be wrong.

00 E46 323I current
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 02-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #73
dmax

Just study up a bit. I don't think it's a clogged condenser blocking flow of air...but it should be cleaned anyway...spray into it with water, pretty firmly too...maybe not the hardest, but you need flow, no doubt.

Radiators don't often clog internally when having lived their lives properly...with clean coolant and distilled...but few do. Also, don't assume that new parts aren't an issue...meaning, just, keep an open mind until your system is working...and a bump for you!

A recent set

Old 02-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #74
Bimmer_Addict

Checked coolant level b4 starting the car, low and added more, drove it and no overheating and I still don't know if its the fan or not, a mechanic said he has to do pressure test to see if I'm loosing coolant. Still don't know what to do from here.

00 E46 323I current
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 02-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #75
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Take a rolled up newspaper and see if you can stop your fan with the car stationary. This is a ghetto test, but if it is very easy to stop, your fan is probably bad. If it is very stiff, and almost shreds the papers, your fan is not the culprit.

Pressure testing the system is a good idea. If you are at a loss, take it to a mechanic now, instead of after you overheat and warp the head. It will be much cheaper to pay now to fix the problem up front.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #76
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Checked coolant level b4 starting the car, low and added more, drove it and no overheating and I still don't know if its the fan or not, a mechanic said he has to do pressure test to see if I'm loosing coolant. Still don't know what to do from here.
The only test required to see if you are losing coolant is looking in the ET regularly.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #77
Bimmer_Addict

Will do the paper test tomorrow, car driving fine now with no overheating what so ever but I'm sure it will come back. It's been cool today in Socal not warm enough to have it over heat "thank god".

00 E46 323I current
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 02-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #78
Bimmer_Addict

Update : a/c on n idle , no cold air as I drive the air flow is cooler. No overheat ???

00 E46 323I current
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 02-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #79
mikeetastic

My Ride: 325i/323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
Take a rolled up newspaper and see if you can stop your fan with the car stationary. This is a ghetto test, but if it is very easy to stop, your fan is probably bad. If it is very stiff, and almost shreds the papers, your fan is not the culprit.
paper test is only for mechanical fan and he has an M/T?
mikeetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #80
BMWCaptain

Quote:
Update : a/c on n idle , no cold air as I drive the air flow is cooler. No overheat ???
That would indicate your aid fan is bad.

Smartphone made a mistake. It should say Aux. Fan. Manual tranny cars have a fan called aux. Fan located right behind the radiator.

Last edited by BMWCaptain; 02-06-2013 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360205006

Tags
coolant, electric fan, overheating, radiator cap