E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #21
Jaundiced Outlook

My Ride: has a tailgate
I bought the Bavarian Technic "Enthusiast Kit" last year. Works great. Thought about the Peake reader, but wanted something that gave real time data as shanneba mentioned. Been using Ross-Tech's VCDS on my wife's VW for a couple years, so I was used to a laptop based system.
Jaundiced Outlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #22
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
I own an INNOVA 3100e. It reads unique BMW codes, as well as the unique codes from any other auto maker. I paid about $120 for it.

It does not read the SRS because the SRS is not an OBD II compliant system. Having said that, there is an OBD II code set that uses Bnnnn, where B means body, so perhaps SRS faults can be read but I haven't done it yet.

All OBD II readers can read all of the various protocols (including CAN) because the different schemes for coding use different wires on the OBD II Data Port. Cars generate on one protocol only, never multiple protocols, so the data presented on the connector is translated by the scan tool to whichever protocol is appropriate.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:03 AM   #23
lwderic

My Ride: alpine white e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relicario View Post
Just to let you know, i have the actron cp9125 obd2 pocket reader and it DOES NOT work on my e46.

Does the readers you guys mentioned have the option of deleting air bag lights? Any suggestions on a reader that does?
i have the same reader and mine works fine
Old 03-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #24
Relicario

My Ride: e46 328i, s14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwderic View Post
i have the same reader and mine works fine
Here's the exact model i have:
http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16298

What year and model is your e46??

I'm going to try it out again. You gave me hopes lol.
Relicario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #25
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
the best for our vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcher330xi View Post
http://www.peakeresearch.com/fcx3.htm

Peake is the reader to buy when it comes to reading BMW codes and it is definately worth it if you are going to be doing your own work on the car.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #26
DangerousMind

My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
I own an INNOVA 3100e. It reads unique BMW codes, as well as the unique codes from any other auto maker. I paid about $120 for it.

It does not read the SRS because the SRS is not an OBD II compliant system. Having said that, there is an OBD II code set that uses Bnnnn, where B means body, so perhaps SRS faults can be read but I haven't done it yet.

All OBD II readers can read all of the various protocols (including CAN) because the different schemes for coding use different wires on the OBD II Data Port. Cars generate on one protocol only, never multiple protocols, so the data presented on the connector is translated by the scan tool to whichever protocol is appropriate.
I have an Innova 3100e as well and as far as I can tell, I am only getting the OBD II codes. When I try to go to vehicle specific DTCs, it says they aren't available for BMW. I do like this scanner because it shows emissions monitor readiness and pending codes. I have had no issues diagnosing my car using the PXXXX OBD II DTCs.