E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
DakotaBlayne

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
2000 BMW 323Ci Tranny Safety Mode Help

Hey guys , im new here and now the proud owner of a mint 323ci

i Bought the car 2 days ago for 2500$ , the car has 162000 miles and runs great and drives like a dream , well on my first commute to school i was hoping on the highway and i was doing 60mph and the car was in 5th gear (its auto steptronic) and then the car shifts into 4th and the gear with a ! turn on where the gear indicator is , i immediatley stop the car and call around and look for help online (where i found this forum) and i continues to drive the car slowly to school after checking all the fluids , after school i took the car to autozone and did a battery and altenator check which was all good , i reset the car and drove it and it wont go into safety mode unless doing above 60mph , so today i took the car to a specialty mechanic and the checked the computer and cleared the codes and told me somthing about a sensor and then told me i just need to replace the whole tranny , i found the absurd sense the car shifts out fine , well since they cleared the codes i drove the car home and got up to 80mph and all the way home with several stops without it happeneing again , i thought it was gone , i mean the car shifts SO smooth and no slipping , so i came home and parkewd the car thining the codes were cleared and solved the problem , but no it came back the same way.

so im assuming since the car set the sensors reset causing it to come back , well i know the trannys good and have seen alot of forums with this problem just not a on point answer , please help Thanks '
DakotaBlayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:13 AM   #2
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
I've had a cog wheel come on before myself but it eventually went away and never came back.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:08 AM   #3
DakotaBlayne

i hoped

O was hoping I was home free , BUMP someone chime in who has had this issue? I love this car haha
Old 08-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
DakotaBlayne

Bump
Old 08-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
DakotaBlayne

Anyone?
Old 08-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
brazzers

My Ride: 04 330Ci 6MT
What were the codes?

Quote:
told me somthing about a sensor
What did he tell you, specifically?

I had a similar problem that I traced to the CPS (crankshaft position sensor). In my case though, it was the reference wheel (the thing on the crank the sensor reads pulses from) that had somehow broken. It was a $40 part that cost me a new motor.
brazzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
DakotaBlayne

The codes I pulled today were P0735(gear 5 incorect ratio)
And then I also pulled a P17?? Which I found was a bad thermostat

The car only does this with speeds above 60mph , the jerks onto 4th gear , this is not as often the more I drive it but I guess I going to jack the car up and do an oil change and oil change on the tranny , and clean the electrical contacts on the harness

Any input would be great , also where is the turbine and speed sensor located?
Old 08-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
dslboomer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330I
This is my research result:
1. Maybe bad transmission wiring (leaked inside the wiring)
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ect-Code-P0735

2. Valve body wear per the response at the bottom of the above link: this must be known around transmission repair service industry. You may call transmission repair shops and inquire about it.
If I were you, I will shop around this repair instead of wasting you money and time replacing fluid.

http://www.transgo.org/Research/Tech.../5L40E-INS.pdf
dslboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #9
DakotaBlayne

Hmmm I agree , I defdinetly think its electrical or something like a maf sensor , it happens more if I try to speed up fast like from 30 to 80 , it will shift into fifth fine but then shifts back down and sometimes the cog appears and sometimes i coke to a stop and it goes down to first and all is good , maybe I can take it to my BMW dealer and pay the 170$ and let them find the problem
Old 08-22-2014, 10:34 PM   #10
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
I can save you $170 right now.
Your dealer will suggest transmission replacement for $5000.

You've got the answer in post 8, great info by dslboomer.
If you want to confirm that it's not the MAF, drive with it disconnected.

There is a reason why the car was cheap.
The good news is that the valve body fix is not a lot of work.

GM No Reverse - posts 427, 439

E46 NO START - A list of possible causes

"Would the codes indicate if its the carburator?"
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #11
DakotaBlayne

Okay , well ill unplug the MAF and see what happens and report back , thanks guys , the reason the car was so cheap was her husband passed and she needed money , the car is SO clean from inside to out I was fighting dealers over it haha
Old 08-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #12
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

My Ride: 328i, M3, 525iT
First thing is to verify it is full of fluid, low fluid can cause problems in upper gears, the 4th gear shift you are referring to is "limp mode" Turning the car off and on will reset it.
You must check fluid with car running,, warm, level and shifted through the gears before you open the plug, verify you have a torx bit that will fits and don't strip it, if some fluid leaks out, its good, if none comes out, you are low.
If you see any drips around the transmission pan, you have a leak that must be corrected, most of these older transmission will have a little wetness around the shift shaft seal, if that isn't dripping you may be able to live with it. Verify wetness isn't engine oil blowing back from the front OFHG, CCV, etc.
Also, confirm which transmission you have, look at the transmission pan to see if it is smooth or has a tic tac toe pattern on it.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
DakotaBlayne

Found problem

So I crawled under the car while it was level to check the fluid , is stopped once I saw EVERYTHING coated in red fluid , the tranny is leaking for.sure causing all my problems... Where is the most common leaks ? The car did set for a few months befor I bought it , if someone can chime and if its a DIY FIX ill do it but otherwise I'm going to carry it to my trusted mechanic tommorow , Thanks
Old 08-23-2014, 07:12 PM   #14
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

That is good news for now, most common leaks are the pan, shift shaft seal, torque convertor seal and rear shaft seal, listed in order of commonality, there are two case seals but they rarely leak. Best to wipe it down real well spraying with brake cleaner to get it dry then run car and watch for leaks, keep in mind that the fluid may be too low to leak so if you don't spot it, it may be worth a filter and pan gasket change to at least eliminate that pan gasket. Hopefully the transmission didn't get damaged, I think it could be fine once you get the right level of fluid in it, I for sure would not drive the car until that level is correct.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #15
DakotaBlayne

I've read alot about trannys dieing a few miles after fluid and filter change? True?
Old 08-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #16
DakotaBlayne

Here's pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140823_18_50_33_Pro.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	570475   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140823_18_48_48_Pro.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	570476  
Old 08-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #17
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaBlayne View Post
I've read alot about trannys dieing a few miles after fluid and filter change? True?
It can happen, I think if it does the tranny was already damaged and would have failed anyway. Depending on how much you have leaked you may be changing most of the fluid anyway. Flushes are not recommended. Take some pics of the pan area. You probably have some good oil leaks also, Oil fillter housing gasket and Crankcase vent system are common. Read up on those, you can DIY most of all this stuff with help from this site.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #18
DakotaBlayne

Okay I planned on doing the oil change soon anyways so no buggy there , the car was low on oil when I got it , I added a quest and it hasn't moved , maybe that and the oring on the PS pump may be leaking or where it was spilled

Not sure but ill find out more tommrowo

Can you post some links for the crankcase vent DIY
Old 08-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #19
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

Read this whole thread and there are some good videos on youtube:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=643639
I would correct all leaks of any kind, then do cooling system refresh. This site has a robust search function, if you master it, tons of info is yours for the taking.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #20
DakotaBlayne

new problem UPDATE

So my mechanic cleaned everything drove it and found it again , comes to find out its my power steering leaking and I think maybe all my power steering fluid got on a wire somewhere and is fudging with my transmission

What should I do next? How do i fix this PS leak? Then any diys on granny harness?

Thanks guys for all y'all's help I'm loving my BMW and will more when it will go past 60mph without safety mode