E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 11:50 PM   #1
FLiprayzin240sx

My Ride: 2003 325it Wagon
EML Light Question

I'm having issue with my car not starting. Basically, when you try to click it over, nothing happens. Electrical power is good, battery checked out, just acts like I'm not even trying to turn the car over. The biggest thing that has me worried is the EML Light is On and wont extinguish itself. Is there anything EML related that would cause the car not to start?

I'm checked the park neutral switch, ignition switch and getting the 12v ign signal to the starter. I'm stumped at this point as to what could be causing it.

Last edited by FLiprayzin240sx; 07-06-2014 at 11:52 PM.
FLiprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:48 AM   #2
Bafffyyy

My Ride: is Individual
Send a message via Skype™ to Bafffyyy
Sounds like a fuel pump. When you turn the key, do you hear the pump prime? If not, you may need to replace it. It's located underneath the passenger rear seat.

Read this thread for common no start issues. Bookmark it somewhere.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501
Old 07-07-2014, 03:31 AM   #3
FLiprayzin240sx

My Ride: 2003 325it Wagon
But wouldn't the starter atleast try to crank over with a bad pump? I'm getting absolutely nothing cranking wise, not even a click or power dimming down.

Is there a specific code reader for BMW's to pull EML codes? I've tried to pull any code with a generic OBD-II reader and there's no code but my damn EML light is hard lit.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
EML is related to the throttle system. so any part of that could be damaged or malfunctioning.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
sea green e46

My Ride: e46 318i
Hi there ... I'm having some trouble with my EML light aswell.... Firstly I have a e46 318i exclusive with 210ks on the clock ... Starting the car up,there ain't any problems but after driving for about 10-15 mins the light switches on and the car has power loss will take extremely long to gain revs or speed ... Most of the time it will still idle,once in a while it will switch off when standing still ... But as soon as I switch the car off and turn it back on the late doesn't come on again ... Any ideas as to why the car does this ? Haven't started checking the cause as yet but hoping I can solve the problem before something else malfunctions ... Please help
sea green e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:00 PM   #6
BMW200420014

My Ride: BMW
I need help

I have a bmw 2004 the eml light is on and it will not start. How can i reset the computer so i can start my car?
BMW200420014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:21 AM   #7
BaliDawg

My Ride: 325Ci 530i 750iL
The EML light turns on when the ignition is in position 2, run, and stays on for a few seconds after the engine starts. If the engine doesn't start, the EML light will stay on. I doubt this is your problem.

You said the engine doesn't turn over, right? That means the starter isn't getting current or is defective.

1) What is the voltage on the starter when you try to start?

2) Does the battery voltage dip when you turn the key to position 3, start?

3) Do the other high-current electrical accessories work, like headlights, defroster, seat heating?

Last edited by BaliDawg; 09-17-2014 at 12:25 AM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:08 AM   #8
SOMT

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsummers View Post
EML is related to the throttle system. so any part of that could be damaged or malfunctioning.

This.
Have you done any work under or near your intake manifold lately? Generally if the EML light is on then something has malfunctioned along the throttle body or ICV and or related part.

Do you have any SES lights?

Last edited by SOMT; 09-17-2014 at 02:09 AM.
SOMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
BaliDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMT View Post
This.
Have you done any work under or near your intake manifold lately? Generally if the EML light is on then something has malfunctioned along the throttle body or ICV and or related part.

Do you have any SES lights?
If the starter doesn't turn over the engine, throttle is irrelevant. Or did I missing something here?
Old 09-17-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
SOMT

I'm addressing the EML light so yes it is relevant. Wether or not it has to do with his starting issue, I don't know. However if the OP is just describing how the EML light stays on until the car is started (which it isn't) then things haven't been very clear here
Old 09-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #11
BaliDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMT View Post
I'm addressing the EML light so yes it is relevant. Wether or not it has to do with his starting issue, I don't know. However if the OP is just describing how the EML light stays on until the car is started (which it isn't) then things haven't been very clear here
Right. And there may well be an EML light issue. So your comments are valid, didn't mean to imply they weren't.

My understanding so far, correct me if I'm wrong, is that OP turns his key to position 3 and the starter doesn't turn the engine. In that case the EML light will stay on and we cannot really tell if there is an EML issue yet. Trying to get OP to diagnose why the engine won't turn over first, then we can address EML and possbly other stuff. Sound good?
Old 09-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #12
SOMT

Yep that sounds like a good idea. Like I said the OP hasn't been extremely clear. Hopefully he'll update with better info
Old 09-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #13
BaliDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLiprayzin240sx View Post
But wouldn't the starter atleast try to crank over with a bad pump? I'm getting absolutely nothing cranking wise, not even a click or power dimming down.

Is there a specific code reader for BMW's to pull EML codes? I've tried to pull any code with a generic OBD-II reader and there's no code but my damn EML light is hard lit.
OP, you're right in that a bad fuel pump will not prevent the starter from turning over the engine. Right now, this is a basic starter, battery, or wiring problem. Forget EML until we get this sorted out.

Any updated info for us?
Old 09-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #14
SOMT

Starter is a very viable possibility. It happens every now and then to some forum members here