E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
MrWoppit

My Ride: .
What's under the third mirror? '00 328i

I had my 2000 BMW 328i 82k miles in a shop today for an oil change.
I provided the oil (0w40 Mobil 1) and my own filter.

When I picked up my car after the oil change, the third mirror was adjusted. I NEVER touch that mirror.. They messed with it.

Then, after getting in my car after lunch, I noticed the cover (two black plastic pieces) fell away and showed some mechanics.

What are they? What sensors or what is the thing under my third mirror? I do not have remote start. It seems to big for just keyless entry.

Whatever it is, why would the oil change person be messing with it?
MrWoppit is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
erickonphoenix

My Ride: 2004 325i Touring
if by third mirror you mean the Rear View Mirror? If so then that might be the wiring for the alarm indicator you don't have installed on your car. It's a red light that hangs under the RVM. I thought it was on all cars but perhaps it wasn't on yours or was removed by a previous owner. I have no idea why an oil tech would mess with your RVM unless he was adjusting it for his level.
erickonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
MrWoppit

Yes, I meant rear view mirror. And I am also lost why he was messing with it. I kinda wanna go back and ask...
Old 05-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
he probably adjusted it or hit it while doing a drive like in Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 05-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #5
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I prefer mechanics to use the force while backing my car in a parking lot, that way I don't have to worry about readjusting my mirrors when I get in.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
B78SYX

My Ride: 325CI 2004
..OP, don't worry, it happened to me also. Mechanics just have this urge for a short burnout, with somebody else's car Probably, they thought: what the....safety first...adjusting the mirror and fastening your seatbelt.
Or, they simply moved your car around, to free up the elevator / working station and they needed an adjusted rearview mirror, to park it.

Anyway, if I am right, based on other posts, on this forum, there should be some cables, there, for an LED light, within what some call "clown nose"...that plastic bulb shaped knob, which you use to dim the mirror. That LED would be related to the factory car alarm and I read somewhere that it flashes when alarm is active. Personally, I have never seen one so don't fully count on my presumtion.
Either that or your rearview mirror has been tapped by some federal agency...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by B78SYX; 05-08-2014 at 01:55 PM.
B78SYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #7
anandoc

My Ride: 2004 330i
If these are the two black plastic pieces you are referring to, they house your RLS sensor (rain and light).

2004 BMW 330i premium package
anandoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
MrWoppit

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandoc View Post
If these are the two black plastic pieces you are referring to, they house your RLS sensor (rain and light).

That's the piece.

Thanks man.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #9
B78SYX

My Ride: 325CI 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoppit View Post
That's the piece.
Thought your question was a harder one, not that you are referring to the "elephant in the room"
Just kidding, glad you got your answer.
Indeed that's the rain and light sensor unit, you can see its sensors, through the windshield, from outside. That cover is a little flimsy and maybe the mechanic just hit the mirror, by mistake, while he was in your car to reset its oil service interval and caused the cover to fall, later....

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
B78SYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #10
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I prefer mechanics to use the force while backing my car in a parking lot, that way I don't have to worry about readjusting my mirrors when I get in.
Lmfao
I was thinking the same thing. Who needs mirrors?
Old 05-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #11
Tutankhamon

My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
What in god's name are you going on about? WHO CARES if they adjusted your rear view mirror. Maybe they did so that they can see?!

lol wtf