E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
EMPORIOO

My Ride: 330ci, 335i
Emergency brake release button stuck in

Driving back home today I noticed that that my e brake won't engage up. The e-brake goes up fine, but it just doesn't catch and stay because the release button is stuck in.

I took the boot off trying to look for any broken wires but everything seems normal.

Does anyone know what's wrong?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
EMPORIOO

Old 08-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
dehaze182

My Ride: 2002 bmw 325ci
looks like

looks like the pin in your e-brake broke. I had the same thing happen to me e-brake worked fine but it wouldn't lock in place your going to have to go to the bmw stealership and buy a whole new handbrake assembly because they wont sell it in separate parts. It will cost about 120 dollars for the the assembly or i guess you can go to a junkyard and get it from a parts car.
dehaze182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
alwaysbored786

My Ride: M3
or look on tischer and try to save some money? ^

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims

2004 Noble M12 GTO 3R
1998 M3 Coupe
1996 BMW M3
2003 330I ZHP

1998 Honda Civic - Sister Totaled
2002 330CI - SOLD
2006 CBR 600RR - SOLD
1995 M3 Coupe - SOLD
1988 325E - SOLD
1996 Cherokee - SOLD
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
EMPORIOO

is changing the handbrake assembly an easy DIY?
Old 12-31-2015, 07:14 PM   #6
beat92240

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but this happened to me over the weekend and there wasn't any good recent thread that actually explained the fix for this. So I figured I'd take it upon myself to post the solution that I found this weekend here.

I actually recommend everyone look at this. Mine used to pull up almost the entire way to the underside of the armrest before it completely gave out. Afterwards, with the same e-brake cable adjustment it only takes 2 or 3 clicks to full engage so it feels much more solid.

The picture is as follows:
Yellow outline = base / gear assembly
Red = What the e-brake button engages/releases
Blue = What is supposed to secure the mechanism

The picture below shows a different angle, but I've carried over the same colors for the same pieces.
The fix is to push in the red piece towards the base/gear. I simply used a small pry bar but you should have no issue with just a flathead screwdriver to do the same thing.
Then bend the tab circled in blue in the picture above to hold the mechanism in place and all done!

There you go. I took the assembly out to get pictures and actually find the solution, but I'm sure this could be done without removing anything but the center consol.

So there ya go. Saved you about 115 bucks! If this happens repetitively I would recommend getting a new handle as I can see that the retainer tab would certainly weaken over time. Either that or just weld an actual solid piece across on your own for an even more long term solution.

Enjoy!
beat92240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:19 PM   #7
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
If the button is stuck in, I'd be looking for the spring that pushes it out.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:02 PM   #8
beat92240

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
If the button is stuck in, I'd be looking for the spring that pushes it out.
My button was stuck in. This was 100% my solution.

I'm sure there may be others, but it's been working flawlessly for 3 weeks now so this is certainly another cause.
beat92240 is offline   Reply With Quote