E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2003, 01:06 PM   #1
Banana_Bread

My Ride: 323Ci
DIY Request: Rear bumper removal on coupe

I've done a search and can't seem to find a diy for removing the rear bumper. Does anybody have instructions on how to do this on an e46 coupe?
Banana_Bread is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:52 AM   #2
Chris3Duke

I'd be interested in a DIY for this as well... Anyone?

Bueller.... Bueller....
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 03:17 PM   #3
stevieg23

My Ride: 330i ZHP
yeah, i wonder if the 2004 rear bumper fits on my '01; is this why you would like to know this DIY?
Old 05-09-2003, 09:23 PM   #4
SrCsTc
Banned

My Ride: 00 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to SrCsTc
It's pretty much like the front bumper DIY. The black plastic strip at the bottom pops off so you can access the bolts.

Here are some pics.

Last edited by SrCsTc; 05-09-2003 at 09:25 PM.
SrCsTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 02:30 AM   #5
Banana_Bread

My Ride: 323Ci
Hmm, isn't it a lot more involved? i watched the body shop do it one time, they had to dissasemble part of the trunk area to get to certain bolts for that hold the bumper in place.

However, ur pics help A LOT, i have yet to see pics of the rear bumper off, this shoudl give me a good idea of where certain things are bolted onto. I assume those two pegs are similar to the front bumper, torx t50?
Banana_Bread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 03:28 AM   #6
SrCsTc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Banana_Bread
Hmm, isn't it a lot more involved? i watched the body shop do it one time, they had to dissasemble part of the trunk area to get to certain bolts for that hold the bumper in place.

However, ur pics help A LOT, i have yet to see pics of the rear bumper off, this shoudl give me a good idea of where certain things are bolted onto. I assume those two pegs are similar to the front bumper, torx t50?

No it's pretty easy. There is nothing to take apart in the trunk. Just pop off the black plastic trim on the bottom so the wrench can reach the Torx bolts, those two bolts (I think they're T50) are what mainly hold the bumper on. Then there's something that holds the plastic wheelwell covers to the bumper. That's basically it. I have an OEM coupe bumper in the basement, I'll take a pic of it for you tomrrow.

Rich
Old 09-25-2003, 07:16 PM   #7
dvdoughboy

My Ride: 2003 SG M3
I need to remove my rear bumper and was looking for more specific step-by-step instructions.
Can anyone help?
Thanks

2003 Steel Grey on Cinnamon
Performance: Eisenmann 83mm race, Supersprint S and X pipes, aFe intake, Tein SS-P, UUC Evo3 with DSSR, UUC TME, CDV removal, underdrive pullies
Aesthetics: Umnitza titanium angel eyes, LED taillight conversion, painted bumper reflectors
Dension Icelink
dvdoughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 10:07 PM   #8
stevenchiang

My Ride: my ride
yeah. I'd like to see more specific instruction too. Hope someone can help.

Quote:
Originally posted by dvdoughboy
I need to remove my rear bumper and was looking for more specific step-by-step instructions.
Can anyone help?
Thanks
stevenchiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 06:47 PM   #9
dvdoughboy

My Ride: 2003 SG M3
Anyone?

2003 Steel Grey on Cinnamon
Performance: Eisenmann 83mm race, Supersprint S and X pipes, aFe intake, Tein SS-P, UUC Evo3 with DSSR, UUC TME, CDV removal, underdrive pullies
Aesthetics: Umnitza titanium angel eyes, LED taillight conversion, painted bumper reflectors
Dension Icelink
dvdoughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 09:16 PM   #10
SrCsTc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by dvdoughboy
Anyone?
It's a pretty easy DIY. If you're having trouble after reading what's been posted already then maybe you shouldn't be doing the work yourself.

Rich
Old 09-29-2003, 09:35 PM   #11
Ausfahrt
Groccery Getter

My Ride: Touring/550
Send a message via AIM to Ausfahrt
Thumbs Up

I agree

Quote:
Originally posted by SrCsTc

It's a pretty easy DIY. If you're having trouble after reading what's been posted already then maybe you shouldn't be doing the work yourself.

Rich
Ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 03:54 PM   #12
tim j
Hello

My Ride: e92
Send a message via AIM to tim j
can someone post specific instructions? i need help on this.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:03 PM   #13
Jota_M

My Ride: Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrCsTc
It's pretty much like the front bumper DIY. The black plastic strip at the bottom pops off so you can access the bolts.

Here are some pics.

I canīt see the pics!! help me!!
Old 02-03-2006, 05:12 PM   #14
lhendrick

My Ride: 330i
Step by step....rear bumper on E46

I just took off the rear bumper cover and bumper in order to reset the impact shock aborbers that collapse when you back up into a pole It took about two hours to remove, reset the shock and then replace the bumper/bumper cover. Here is how you do it:

Read it all before you start>

1. Raise the car up on jackstands. Carefully. Read up on how to do this correctly or you will damage your car and kill yourself.
2. Remove the wheels/tires
3. Inside each rear wheel well there are plastic inner liners, you want to remove the lower ones located to the rear. Do this on each side. There are 4 or 5 small fasteners of various types on each size. Take them out carefully so you can reuse them. Some are plastic, and you pry them oout gently with a screwdriver. Some are metal, 10mm and some are plastic 10mm. Your mileage may vary. This part will be easier if your car is clean so wash out the wheel wells. Its also a great time to detail clean out this area where a LOT of road dirt collects.
4. There is a clip that holds the bumper cover front edge to the lower rear quarter panel. Pre 9/2001 built cars, you take out a screw and then pull a "C" shaped hanger out. This releases the bumper cover from the quarter panel lower edge. ON post 10/2001 there is a clip that releases by pressing down.My 2002 with a build date of 9/2001 had the first type.
5. At the rear of the car, remove (pull it loose by releaseing some of the plastic slide in retainers) the lower trim panel on the bumper cover. This allows access to 2 large bolts that go through the bumper cover, and secure it to the bumper itself.
6. Remove the 2 large bolts. They are located under the bumper, about 8inches in from each end. It takes a T50 torx. I used a Sears 3/8" drive T50 socket.
7. Lay a blanket behind the car across the full width of the car. Get a friend it you have one.
8. Pull back on the bumper cover and slide the whole thing back, watching to see if there are any screws you forgot or wires (like for park distance sensors ) that you forgot to unhook.
9. Place the whole thing, which seemed to weigh only 20 pounds or so on the blanket gently.
10. You are done
11. Reassembly is the same in reverse.
12. Any questions, see your body shop
13. This was relatively easy, but dirty
lhendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #15
lhendrick

My Ride: 330i
P.S. You can do this without jacking the car up and removing the wheels. I like to have room to see what I'm doing and be able to reach things without fighting with the tires. Your time, your choice.
lhendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:24 AM   #16
ALPIN3

My Ride: E46
Kinda off topic, but anyone know where the side bumper clips in the last photo can be found? Or perhaps the part number. My rear driver side bumper section is sagging a little. Thanks in advance.
ALPIN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:31 AM   #17
deletedpenguin

My Ride: is gone!
Send a message via Skype™ to deletedpenguin
I'm not sure how much more straight forward you can get about this...
Old 04-18-2006, 01:27 PM   #18
SrCsTc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermachina
Kinda off topic, but anyone know where the side bumper clips in the last photo can be found? Or perhaps the part number. My rear driver side bumper section is sagging a little. Thanks in advance.

Your local dealer. Check http://www.realoem.com for the part number.

Rich
Old 04-21-2006, 03:46 PM   #19
snewcrash

My Ride: tiag 3er
Send a message via AIM to snewcrash Send a message via MSN to snewcrash Send a message via Yahoo to snewcrash
I'm trying this on a facelifted coupe right now. I removed my black trim, but I don't see any bolts to take off. I think the trim is in a different spot from non-facelifted. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-02-2006, 01:18 PM   #20
330 HRE
Banned

My Ride: 330
What you need to do is to go in your trunk and remove the 3 bolts that are inside. One nut will be where your battery cover is, you need to remove the battery cover. One nut will be where you spare tire is and one will be under a cover you just pull off. If you look in the trunk you will see it. On the other side there will be 3 bolts for the left side, you need to remove the plastic on the left side to access the nut there and the other two nuts are the same as the right hand side.

From there you need to go to the wheel wells and remove the two nuts there. There will be a metal looking piece at the end of the rear fenders, you need to move those, as soon as you do that...pull the bumper off and you are good to go. Its pretty much a one man job.
330 HRE is offline   Reply With Quote