E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 09:08 AM   #1
ilhanalpo

My Ride: e46 320d
For people who use factory business cd

Hey there guys I got blaupunkt cd and i wanna stick to OEM. I am getting a usb/aux interface as cd changer etc. However I have only a single slot (cd changer) with 5 pins only. I have seen some other models have 10 pins. Can interfaces still work on this radio or do I need to change my radio to newer model? Please help me out here.
The rear of my stereo is like this with 5 pins only

this is the product i wanna get. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-...999.264.zWaGq1
ilhanalpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
It won't work! The changer-head unit interface uses 2 cables:
- power + turn on signal
- audio and command signals

Also, your head unit needs a fuse in that red space.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #3
ilhanalpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
It won't work! The changer-head unit interface uses 2 cables:
- power + turn on signal
- audio and command signals

Also, your head unit needs a fuse in that red space.
sh*t... I guess I need to buy another stereo then. So it is a must that it needs to have 10 pins there to run any kind of interface? Is there any kind of adapter I can run with this one?
Old 01-02-2017, 10:18 AM   #4
canosoto86

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330I
I have the same unit and am using the USA-SPECS PA12 and is working perfectly fine. My car didnt even had cd changer although it had the harness, but behind the radio I had the same 5 pins as you.
canosoto86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #5
ilhanalpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by canosoto86 View Post
I have the same unit and am using the USA-SPECS PA12 and is working perfectly fine. My car didnt even had cd changer although it had the harness, but behind the radio I had the same 5 pins as you.
So you have exactly the same radio but you have that device which allows what exactly? This is so confusing for me. I want to play things from usb so i can get good quality but seems so hard
Old 01-02-2017, 10:29 AM   #6
canosoto86

I can confirm 100% when i get home from work, but I had removed the radio to install one of those ebay aux cables which didnt work and the radio only had 5 pins and only that connector. Since my radio did have the plug that routes to the rear where the cd changer usually sits at, I installed a (usa specs pa12) and works with either ipod or auxiliary.
This is what am using:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....9L._SX300_.jpg

I dont use USB though, I use my phone.

This is my radio
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20161230_131846.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	648133  

Last edited by canosoto86; 01-02-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:40 AM   #7
ilhanalpo

Quote:
I can confirm 100% when i get home from work, but I had removed the radio to install one of those ebay aux cables which didnt work and the radio only had 5 pins and only that connector. Since my radio did have the plug that routes to the rear where the cd changer usually sits at, I installed a (usa specs pa12) and works with either ipod or auxiliary.
This is what am using:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....9L._SX300_.jpg

I dont use USB though, I use my phone.

This is my radio
So you had a built in cd changer harness and everything which is kinda rare to come by where i live. So 5 pin is enough to run cd changer which means I can run these kind of interfaces. The problem is, whoever I ask says something different. I have to make sure because if I order the interface now it is gonna take minimum 20 days to reach me
Old 01-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #8
canosoto86

Yes mine had the harness built in with no cd changer. I dont know if there is anything else involved in it but thats the only plug and cabke my car had going to the rear. Hopefully you can figure it out for sure before getting it though.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:53 AM   #9
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:

Hmmmm, that's weird as the total pin count at the changer is at least 9 or 10. Maybe there are other wires that go to the changer that are run from that connector. Good info. Thanks.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #10
canosoto86

Yes, I had found this picture which got me thinking, as I see it has 2 different cords in the trunk and only 1 leading from dash and when I plugged in the (usaspecs box) in the trunk I did use 2 plugs. Which leads me to believe the power runs on separate harness.

**Update: The power it is indeed the small 3 cable plug in the trunk of the car, the wires from the dash harness are audio.

https://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/...ssembly=249649
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	129856.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	648177  

Last edited by canosoto86; 01-03-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:58 AM   #11
ilhanalpo

Hello again everyone. So I wanna conclude this thread by saying that this CD player which has only 5 pins on the back CAN run usb/aux/sd adapters. I have bought ANYCAR from ebay and plugged in. Also got RCA converter for my subwoofer. Everything is working like it should and I am really happy with the result