E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #21
BamaBeamer

My Ride: 03 M3
I also have a complaint about the dipstick. When I bought my car the plastic tip was cracking. I replaced it because I was afraid of plastic fragments circulating around my engine. What a poor design. Why can't they make the whole dipstick out of metal like my toyota's?
Be careful when using some of those aftermarket mag plugs. I bought one from Bav-Auto it was a lot longer than the oem plug. My dealer said they weren't sure if it was the M3 or another model but one car has rigid oil tubes in the oil pan that a longer plug can hit.
BamaBeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:28 AM   #22
M Shark

My Ride: '04 M3
overtorqued
Old 03-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #23
dcf

My Ride: 02 e46 M3 SMG - LSB
Someone clearly over torqued it, as it does not need to be very tight at all.

Don't blame the engineers, as that bolt/plug was not designed to be put in and taken out over and over again, as our cars are designed to have the oil changed from the top via the dipstick tube with a vac extractor. That is why the oil filter is on the TOP of the engine, not underneath. I use a Mity-Vac and have literally done a full oil change in my car in a suit after getting home from work one night (in the past, when I still street drove the car).

Get the extractor, works wonders!
dcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #24
blubayou

My Ride: 2003 Bluewater M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcf View Post
Someone clearly over torqued it, as it does not need to be very tight at all.

Don't blame the engineers, as that bolt/plug was not designed to be put in and taken out over and over again, as our cars are designed to have the oil changed from the top via the dipstick tube with a vac extractor. That is why the oil filter is on the TOP of the engine, not underneath. I use a Mity-Vac and have literally done a full oil change in my car in a suit after getting home from work one night (in the past, when I still street drove the car).

Get the extractor, works wonders!
If that's the case why do they put a new washer in the oil filter kit for the drain plug.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #25
MasterTJ

My Ride: 2002 e46 BMW M3 6sp
Oh great, just what I want to do: Vacuum oil out of my car. How about gravity? It works still right?
MasterTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #26
dcf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubayou View Post
If that's the case why do they put a new washer in the oil filter kit for the drain plug.
Because BMW does not make the filter kits, Mann and Mahle do.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #27
dcf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTJ View Post
Oh great, just what I want to do: Vacuum oil out of my car. How about gravity? It works still right?
It does, but trust me, once you use the vac-extract once, you will never go back.

So much faster (no need to jack up the car, no need to deal with the undertray or trap door) no mess at all, no waiting for that "last drop" and no risk of messing up the oil pan threads or the plug itself. In the "old days" you had to go under a car to not only do the filter, but also grease a bunch of things. Think about it, on the M3, the only reason you are under there is literally to pull that plug (unless it is time for a BIG maintenance). Yes it is an upfront expense, but that is how modern cars are, gone are the "DIY" cars, now you have to have the tools to DIY.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #28
reynaldo

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to reynaldo
I have a brand new never use mityvac if someone interested. I changed my mind not to use it based on the reviews that all fluids still lodge in the pan.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #29
Handsome Kev

My Ride: 328
Happened to me @ years back it is a royal *****. I went two days without knowing how to fix this, my ingenious self decided to put a pan under the plug hole to catch the oil that dripped out when I was parked at night. My indy mechanic let me borrow his screw extractor set. All you do is fit the extractor in the hole and turn to lock it it onto the bolt and then twist to remove the broken bolt. Best of luck, hope this helps

Example of kit

What it will look like as you do it

Last edited by Handsome Kev; 03-07-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Handsome Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #30
MasterTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Kev View Post
Happened to me @ years back it is a royal *****. I went two days without knowing how to fix this, my ingenious self decided to put a pan under the plug hole to catch the oil that dripped out when I was parked at night. My indy mechanic let me borrow his screw extractor set. All you do is fit the extractor in the hole and turn to lock it it onto the bolt and then twist to remove the broken bolt. Best of luck, hope this helps

Example of kit

What it will look like as you do it
Thanks man!!! I shouldn't have a problem getting it out. Im buying a replacement magnetic one from tuner when I get home to FL.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #31
zwede

My Ride: 2005 M3
DON'T use a cheap import extractor. It will snap and then you're totally screwed as you can't drill an extractor (it's hardened). Ask me how I know.

Spend the extra few bucks and get a quality extractor.
zwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #32
MasterTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwede View Post
DON'T use a cheap import extractor. It will snap and then you're totally screwed as you can't drill an extractor (it's hardened). Ask me how I know.

Ill be doing it at an auto hobby shop on base. They have all the tools there. No cost to me! Win! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 03-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #33
Handsome Kev

My Ride: 328
Haven't used the magnetic plug but I would also stick to oem, just don't over tighten the plug and you should be fine.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer App
Handsome Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #34
2003E46M3

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTJ View Post
The F'ing drain plug on my 2002 M3 is stripped. I found it this way. Now I need to buy a new one, and my time was wasted lifting the car up. Local BMW doesn't "stock" them, and they need payment first before they can even order one. I've seen multiple threads with this same problem after a simple search, WHY!? WHY BMW!?

They quoted me $11 for this POS bolt.

Dear BMW Engineers who are responsible for choosing a round bolt with a 6mm hex socket: Are you ****ING SERIOUS? A ROUND bolt top? With a 6mm hex socket? SERIOUSLY?

Dramatic Re-enactment of the engineering of the bolt: "Gee whiz Hans, this bolt will probably strip after only using it once." "You're right Jungen, that's why we made it out of playdoh, so that it's less expensive for BMW to make new ones, and we can sell it for quite a profit!" "Oh Hans, lets have ga* *ex!". "Oh Jungen!" **both begin making out**
I'm not going to lie, a peed a little on the dramatic re-enactment... man, that was good stuff. The shop I just got my car repaired out said pretty much the same thing when they replaced it. "Funny how you find a few cheap things on such a high performance beast." Cest la vie
2003E46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #35
mass03m3

My Ride: e46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwede View Post

How did you get broken extractor out? Well, I thought i bought a good extractor(craftsman kit at sears) and it probably is, but I put just a little too much torque on it and snapped it.

or did you just leave the extractor in and go the vicegrip route??
Old 03-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #36
PreppyR6

My Ride: shines like justice
I had a drain bolt snap off, definite pain in the ass, but previous owner must have used jiffy lube where they impact-gun the drain bolt back on. So freakin overtorqued it wasnt even funny. From my standpoint, Im glad the bolt snapped and not the oilpan. Im looking at buying a vac-extractor though as it does seem much easier and I live in a townhome community where car maintenance in the parking lot is frowned upon unless you do it at 3am with a worklight and no one sees your car up on rhino ramps and a jack
Old 03-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #37
jonny_blaze

My Ride: E46 M3 AA HKS S/C
If you strip the 6mm part, and cant use a thin walled 17mm socket...get a T30/T40/T45 3/8 socket that *ALMOST* fits and tap it in with a hammer, the edges of the Torx socket will grip and voila...your bolt comes out - make sure you use one hand to loosen with a longer rachet and maintain pressure with your palm on the head (of the rachet) AFTER you have tapped it in securely not just the edge, just don't **** yourself over by using the same bolt lol..

This same thing can be used on the brake rotor set screws instead of wacking the rotor off, heating and vice gripping the remainder of the bolt off. No mess, no drilling, more time for beer.

Last edited by jonny_blaze; 03-23-2011 at 03:43 PM.
jonny_blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:01 AM   #38
Black107

My Ride: 2002 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamn46 View Post
um.. ive changed my oil several times... mine has yet to strip.. i blame user error.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
I bought a 6mm 3/8" drive tool and it works great. I can imagine it being a pain if it's already stripped though. Vice grips!
When I went under to take the plug bolt out myself for the first time, the hex was "smudged" so the hex socket I had would get stuck once force was applied.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer used an air wrench at some point and thats how the head got smudged/rounded.

I've since bought a replacement plug and everything is fine with my 6mm hex socket.

OP, to reiterate what everyone else has already said: be glad its just the bolt and not the pan.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #39
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
Dealing with this now. PO must have overtorqued it. New plug is on the way. Cost me 1.37 but it's still PITA since I need to buy extractor and mess around with it.

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #40
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
i use an extractor and i love it, gets the job done with little to no mess. i bought it for 100 bucks after shipping from bavauto.

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote