E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 01:00 AM   #1
beyondd

My Ride: 02 bmw 325xi
Need Oxygen Sensors!?

http://www.******************.com/sk...gs+Best+Seller

If I buy 2 of these for my 02 325XI will they be a good replacement?

Someone said that is a universal sensors and I will have to splice wires?

I am getting bad gas mileage (220 full tank) and Check Engine codes P0171 & P0174 along with rough rpm's at low speed.

If I buy 2 of these pre-cat sensors will they be a direct replacement or will I have to cut wires and such; should I just get them from Advanced Auto Parts?

Thanks!
beyondd is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Why are you replacing O2s??

The codes you have are for lean fuel mixtures. More than likely you have a vacuum leak or possibly even a dirty MAF sensor (this is more likely if you have an oiled aftermarket air filter as the oil can contaminate the MAF).
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
lotar_6

My Ride: '01 xi, '94 Rado
he's right... treat the cause, not the symptom. Read this... LINK

If you have both codes at the same time, it' more than likely an intake air leak somewhere since it's showing on both banks. It's highly unlikely that both O2's failed at the same time.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
beyondd

Thanks for the replies; I cleaned the MAF last week (even though it looked very clean already) and I am getting a smoke test for vacuum leaks today.
Do you think that a vacuum leak could cause bad gas mileage as well?

If the oiled aftermarket air filter contaminates the MAF; will I need to buy a new MAF? I replaced the air filter a few months ago with a crappy Autozone one when I was having white lots of smoke come out of exhaust; and I never knew I had to oil it.

The car is ~120k miles with mostly original parts

Last edited by beyondd; 02-26-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Yes, if the car is drawing in unmetered air the DME will try to adapt to the conditions by adding more fuel.

Not all aftermarket filters are oiled filters. Those that are come pre-oiled from the factory (such as those sold by K&N or AFE). Most likely you have a standard paper filter, do NOT put oil on it unless the product instructions indicate to do so. If there were no instructions then assume you have a standard paper filter.

Did you ever get to the bottom of your white smoke out the exhaust problem?
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 02-26-2011 at 08:33 PM.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
beyondd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
Yes, if the car is drawing in unmetered air the DME will try to adapt to the conditions by adding more fuel.

Not all aftermarket filters are oiled filters. Those that are come pre-oiled from the factory (such as those sold by K&N or AFE). Most likely you have a standard paper filter, do NOT put oil on it unless the product instructions indicatesto do so. If there were no instructions then assume you have a standard paper filter.

Did you ever get to the bottom of your white smoke out the exhaust problem?
Thanks for asking; the valve cover gaskets were leaking oil into the spark plugs. Just glad it wasn't a blown head gasket like everyone kept telling me.

Last edited by beyondd; 02-26-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
dgoddard

My Ride: 02 325xi
When I bought my xi it threw those two codes about a week after. I changed the intake boots and cleaned the MAF. I haven't heard anything since.

The intake boots are pretty cheap on AutohausAZ.com
2009 Ninja 250R 5k
dgoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #8
lotar_6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondd View Post
...If the oiled aftermarket air filter contaminates the MAF; will I need to buy a new MAF? ...
no... just buy a can of CRC MAF cleaner at Autozone and follow the directions each time you clean and oil your air filter.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #9
beyondd

Did the smoke test today and he said there is a leak right under here and he will probably have to take the intake manifold off to reach it; 1-2 hours labor. Any thoughts?

(picture taken from google)
Old 02-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #10
SILVRRONIN

My Ride: 2003 325.xit
tighten the leak!
I had same problem, traced the line, replaced intake boot, cleaned MAF sensor, then replaced filter-used the cleaning kit from K&N. I just replaced the last O2 sensor..DONT BUY TH ESPLICED ONES! spend the extra$$. Buy the universal sensor for $67...its soooeasy to hook up...seriously. My MPG is better..34mpg!
SILVRRONIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:34 PM   #11
SILVRRONIN

My Ride: 2003 325.xit
and get rid of the stock airbox!!!..more HP and more MPG ( if that pic is your car above!)
SILVRRONIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:34 AM   #12
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Thanks for asking; the valve cover gaskets were leaking oil into the spark plugs. Just glad it wasn't a blown head gasket like everyone kept telling me.
A valve cover leak will not trail oil to the internal spark plugs or combustion chamber area. White smoke usually is water burning off noticeable at cold start-up. It condenses in your exhaust system sitting. If you are continuing to blow white, you're back to the head gasket or head. The cover gasket may leak oil and burn off the hot block but again not out the exhaust.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:48 AM   #13
lotar_6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVRRONIN View Post
... I just replaced the last O2 sensor..DONT BUY THE SPLICED ONES! spend the extra$$. ...
If you do replace the O2, abide by this recommendation!! Not only is it easier, you don't have to worry about potential variences in signal transmission due to solder joints or an additional plug. I had issues w/ a spliced O2 that drove me nuts until I replaced with one that had an OE plug.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #14
beyondd

Quote:
tighten the leak!
I had same problem, traced the line, replaced intake boot, cleaned MAF sensor, then replaced filter-used the cleaning kit from K&N. I just replaced the last O2 sensor..DONT BUY TH ESPLICED ONES! spend the extra$$. Buy the universal sensor for $67...its soooeasy to hook up...seriously. My MPG is better..34mpg!
So I shouldn't buy the ones from autozone or advanced auto parts for $100+; but buy the cheaper ones online?

Quote:
and get rid of the stock airbox!!!..more HP and more MPG ( if that pic is your car above!)
Not my pic, but I have the same airbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
A valve cover leak will not trail oil to the internal spark plugs or combustion chamber area. White smoke usually is water burning off noticeable at cold start-up. It condenses in your exhaust system sitting. If you are continuing to blow white, you're back to the head gasket or head. The cover gasket may leak oil and burn off the hot block but again not out the exhaust.
Here's what it was doing; but it wasn't a blown headgasket & my mechanic seemed to fix it with a valve cover gasket kit. The car wasn't overheating, but it was throwing out a lot of white smoke & my coolant was leaking somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotar_6 View Post
If you do replace the O2, abide by this recommendation!! Not only is it easier, you don't have to worry about potential variences in signal transmission due to solder joints or an additional plug. I had issues w/ a spliced O2 that drove me nuts until I replaced with one that had an OE plug.
What recommendation? I was told to buy the o2 sensors from advancedautoparts store because I wouldn't have to do splicing with a universal sensors from the internet (my original post link).
Old 02-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #15
beyondd

Dropped the car off tonight to get the vacuum leak fixed; hopefully this will take care of the P0171 & P0174 codes and the rough idle/stalling.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:07 AM   #16
lotar_6

Quote:
...What recommendation? I was told to buy the o2 sensors from advancedautoparts store because I wouldn't have to do splicing with a universal sensors from the internet (my original post link).
NM... you're doing the right thing. We seemed to have misinterpreted your original post.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #17
beyondd

Got the car back today and they did another smoke test and couldn't find a leak this time. The RPM's seem to be better but I haven't driven it much; he thinks that he may have unintentionally knocked a hose back in place or something of the sort / maybe the smoke unclogged a hose or something. They also used some sort of spray to try to find a leak in case the smoke test might have missed and still nothing.

Check engine light flipped back on before I got home and here are the new codes:

202 - Fuel Control limit Mixture Rich (Bank 1 Sensor 1) P1084
203 - Fuel Control Mixture Lean (Bank 2 Sensor 1) P1085
227 - Fuel Mixture Deviation with low fuel - P1314
228 - I think this one was the same P1314

Not sure what to make of these; not as much info about them online. I am assuming this points to the Oxygen sensors? How would I know which ones may have gone awry without replacing them all? Is there a way to tell if my MAF is damaged? I tried cleaning it, but would unplugging it keep the service light off if that MAF sensor is bad?

Help!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #18
Ivanhoe

My Ride: BMW 330 xi 2005
What scan tool are you using ?
Old 03-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #19
beyondd

it's an expensive one from a dealership; not sure the brand but it's wireless
Old 03-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #20
truajb

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Got the car back today and they did another smoke test and couldn't find a leak this time. The RPM's seem to be better but I haven't driven it much; he thinks that he may have unintentionally knocked a hose back in place or something of the sort / maybe the smoke unclogged a hose or something. They also used some sort of spray to try to find a leak in case the smoke test might have missed and still nothing.

Check engine light flipped back on before I got home and here are the new codes:

202 - Fuel Control limit Mixture Rich (Bank 1 Sensor 1) P1084
203 - Fuel Control Mixture Lean (Bank 2 Sensor 1) P1085
227 - Fuel Mixture Deviation with low fuel - P1314
228 - I think this one was the same P1314

Not sure what to make of these; not as much info about them online. I am assuming this points to the Oxygen sensors? How would I know which ones may have gone awry without replacing them all? Is there a way to tell if my MAF is damaged? I tried cleaning it, but would unplugging it keep the service light off if that MAF sensor is bad?

Help!
What exactly did your mechanic replace? I would be interested to know what's his diagnose? I have a vacuum leak and just couldn't find the source.
truajb is offline   Reply With Quote