E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
Castle46

My Ride: 2000 323i BMW
Exclamation No start issue

3 days after purchasing my 2000 323i BMW the car would not start. Everything would turn on(radio, A/C and lights) but there was just silence when turning the ignition. I researched no crank/no start issues and from the issues I was observing thought it was the Neutral Safety Switch. I looked at the Neutral safety switch and took apart the gear shift assembly, as soon as I put it back together(because there was nothing wrong with it) the car started as if there was no issue. So I drove to work the next morning thinking that the assembly was just loose. I parked at work, and came back to it 8 hours later to silence( again everything else turned on). So I towed it home with the help of a friend and a tow rope. While towing I decided to try starting the car and boom it started right up as though nothing was wrong. I got it home, did some more research and thought ok maybe it's the fuel pump. So I replaced the fuel pump and it started up again with no issue. I let it sit in the garage over night, about 10 hours, then I took it to work again. It started and drove perfectly fine, got to work, parked, came back 8 hours later and this time it cranked( or tried to) but the engine would not turn over. I left it at work over night and came back to it the next morning to a dead battery. So then I thought it was the battery the whole time. I bought a brand new battery put it in the car, tried starting it and got silence. Once again everything else turned on but no crank, no engine sounds, NOTHING!!!! I am completely lost and have no idea what the issue is.
Castle46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
Castle46

My Ride: 2000 323i BMW
By the way the car has 140K miles but when it was running it ran fine no issues.
Castle46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:58 PM   #3
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Read my No start thread for info!

Tags
no crank, no start, no start issue