E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2016, 10:07 PM   #1
Sigboi

My Ride: '12 Leaf EV, 03 325i
Is there an accessory or power with ignition on wire in the trunk lid?

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to wire in a rear view camera, but one of the wifi ones that connect to your phone.

Works great, but is a bit slow to connect to the phone at first, which is why I don't want to connect it to the rear lights.

I'd like to have it on with ignition on. I have been searching on the forum, but have only found wires with accessory power in the trunk, no mention of in the trunk lid.

Is there such a wire in the trunk lid?

Thank you
Sigboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #2
iowna330xi

My Ride: is fast.
Try the trunk button maybe? Other than that, there is not much I can think of
iowna330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:22 PM   #3
generalvp

My Ride: 05 330ci ZHP
Other than the license plate lights, trunk open switch and tail lights, I think you're out of luck. Connecting via bluetooth to your phone for a reverse backup camera seems like a headache. Opening the app every time I want to reverse and then waiting for bluetooth connection before putting it in reverse....that's just way too long.
generalvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:25 AM   #4
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
I think you're going to have to run a wire into the trunk lid. You'll have to remove the trunk lid liner and the tool kit. There are 2 very small philips head screws towards the bottom of the liner. They're hard to see as they are painted the color of the liner. The license plate light assembly comes off easily as it's held in place with four torx screws. The assembly has a small connector on the end of a couple short wires.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:46 PM   #5
Sigboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalvp View Post
Other than the license plate lights, trunk open switch and tail lights, I think you're out of luck. Connecting via bluetooth to your phone for a reverse backup camera seems like a headache. Opening the app every time I want to reverse and then waiting for bluetooth connection before putting it in reverse....that's just way too long.
Thanks for your input, would there be any constant power wires in there as an alternative?

The way this one works is by wifi, so the signal is a bit stronger and faster. I wanted to hook it up to ignition power or constant power, so that when I start the car, the phone's already connected, and I can just hit the app on the phone screen whenever I need to see the camera view.

Once it's connected by wifi, it's instant on when I hit the app, so it works pretty well when I tested it. I just need to find a wire to tap, and it looks like I have to go through that grommet to the body to find one
Old 01-16-2016, 07:02 PM   #6
Sigboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
I think you're going to have to run a wire into the trunk lid. You'll have to remove the trunk lid liner and the tool kit. There are 2 very small philips head screws towards the bottom of the liner. They're hard to see as they are painted the color of the liner. The license plate light assembly comes off easily as it's held in place with four torx screws. The assembly has a small connector on the end of a couple short wires.
I have it apart, and I had run the wire for the camera through the trim and into the trunk lid. I'm just trying to figure out where is the closest accessory power or constant power wire is to tap. If it's in the body, then I would have to run a wire through that bundle that connects the trunk lid to the body
Old 01-16-2016, 07:30 PM   #7
wayne0

My Ride: 325xi
The closest constant power would be the battery.
wayne0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:13 AM   #8
markusmarkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne0 View Post
The closest constant power would be the battery.

True, but that's mean the camera has power at all times!

OP, I think your best bet is to run a wire from the amplifier in the trunk. The wire you need to splice into is the amplifier turn on wire. In my 2001 330CI it's an off white wire. How many milliamperes (ma) does the camera use? The turn on wire comes from the head unit and it can't handle a major current draw. You could use it to energize a relay. The normally open relay would get power from the battery so that when the head unit is on, the relay coil will be energized and the relay contacts would close and camera would get power from the battery. www.mouser.com is a great source of electronix and electrical stuff.

Last edited by markusmarkus; 01-17-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:01 PM   #9
Sigboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
True, but that's mean the camera has power at all times!

OP, I think your best bet is to run a wire from the amplifier in the trunk. The wire you need to splice into is the amplifier turn on wire. In my 2001 330CI it's an off white wire. How many milliamperes (ma) does the camera use? The turn on wire comes from the head unit and it can't handle a major current draw. You could use it to energize a relay. The normally open relay would get power from the battery so that when the head unit is on, the relay coil will be energized and the relay contacts would close and camera would get power from the battery. www.mouser.com is a great source of electronix and electrical stuff.
Yeah, I was thinking if the draw wasn't too bad, a constant on would be ok if no accessory wire is close by.

Could you tell me where the amp is? I don't have the harmon kardon sound system.

Here's the spec sheet from the camera.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:08 PM   #10
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
STUPID QUESTION HERE
Why would you connect to a switched hot from the key instead of picking up the hot from the Reverse Lights? The reverse lights come on when the car is in R, and this is when you want to see what's happening behind the car. I'd not use the R signal directly, I would use it to power a relay that passes power through the contacts to the camera. A switched hot from the key makes the camera hot any time that the car is on, but switching the hot from the backup lights makes the camera work only when the gear selector is in R.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:24 PM   #11
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
I was wondering when someone was going to suggest this.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:33 PM   #12
Sigboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
STUPID QUESTION HERE
Why would you connect to a switched hot from the key instead of picking up the hot from the Reverse Lights? The reverse lights come on when the car is in R, and this is when you want to see what's happening behind the car. I'd not use the R signal directly, I would use it to power a relay that passes power through the contacts to the camera. A switched hot from the key makes the camera hot any time that the car is on, but switching the hot from the backup lights makes the camera work only when the gear selector is in R.
If you had read the rest of the thread above, you'd see why I want to have it hot while the car is key on.

The wifi camera is too slow to connect to have it power on with reverse, about 10secs to connect to phone after power on.

With key on, I can have it connected to my phone while the car is running and be able to toggle the camera instantly when I need it.

Last edited by Sigboi; 01-18-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #13
Commando

My Ride: '02 325Ci MT '04 M3
A spec sheet in name only.
You could hook it into the tail light wiring. That way you would only need to turn the parking lights on to power it up. See how often you actually use it before you go to the trouble of running a wire to anywhere.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:31 AM   #14
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowna330xi View Post
Try the trunk button maybe? Other than that, there is not much I can think of
That's about it, or run new wires through the rubber boot towards the lid
Old 01-19-2016, 08:36 AM   #15
markusmarkus

The amp is in the left side of the trunk behind the carpet liner. It's a bit of a bear to remove as its stiff. Your car is a 2003MY so the wire should be cream colored. It has 12VDC whenever the head unit is on. It's the "turn on" signal for the amp. Remember, this wire/circuit won't provide much current as it's a signal and not power.

www.mouser.com is a great source for electrical and electronic parts. I'm sure you can find a proper relay at that site.

Last edited by markusmarkus; 01-19-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:42 AM   #16
Sigboi

Update:

I took my time and tested all the wiring in the lid with key on, off, doors locked/unlocked, etc, and the solution is to wire it to the trunk switch connector that links to the rest of the harness. I'll try to take a pic later on, but it was tricky as I was testing the wires with the trunk open, and I wasn't finding what I wanted, I could only find power when reverse lights were on, I couldn't find power on any of the wires besides that one.

Finally I thought that maybe depending on if the trunk was open or closed, certain wires got power. I used a pen to move the trunk latch into "latched" position, and the white/brown wire got power. So when the trunk is closed the camera got power.

Better yet, when I lock the doors, that wire loses power, so I don't have to worry about the camera being constantly on. So close enough to my wanting "key on" power!

Last edited by Sigboi; 01-22-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #17
generalvp

My Ride: 05 330ci ZHP
That's an interesting wire to connect to. I guess you'll just have to unlock your doors every time you need to use the reverse camera.
generalvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:53 PM   #18
Sigboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalvp View Post
That's an interesting wire to connect to. I guess you'll just have to unlock your doors every time you need to use the reverse camera.
I was actually playing around with it today, and it works with the doors locked as well. Turns out power is on as long as the trunk is closed and the key is on doors locked or unlocked.