E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 01:52 AM   #21
Vigilante

My Ride: 320i - 2.2 L - 170hp
Send a message via MSN to Vigilante
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymemaurice View Post
Is this process made easier by first carefully destroying the relays so you can pull each pin individually?!
Yes, I read a thread on the Dutch E46 forum who does exactly that, first he cuts the transistors of the board and then he carefully removes the pin with his solder iron. You do need some solder skills, if you never soldered a circuit board i wouldn't advise to DiY it.
Re-surfaced CH | VC+VCG | CAM/VANOS timing | IMG | NGK-i | BAT+ALT | O2's | GM5 | WP WPP | PSP | DISA | TB ICV MAF | CCV | CAI | OFHG | FP | FF | A/C | FSU | AUC | WSS | BL BD BP | E46Mango! | JFOJ | SB TP IP | springs | Shocks |tires | ASC+ | alignment | E.Flush | Castrol SAF-XJ 75W140 | ZF LGF5 ATF Flush
Planned
FCA+FCAB | Struts
Vigilante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:01 AM   #22
jaymemaurice

My Ride: 01 330ci, 03 Passat
Okay, but this is still trivial soldering, not like removing a BGA microprocessor or even an IC you need to put back after...

the thing is not spring loaded with a self destruct mechanism or anything right?? Sounds like the guy thinks he can solder on a PCB.
Like if he can change a bunch of faulty capacitors on a motherboard, he should be able to do this too, right??

Say he can, what are the things that actually go bad? only the relay?! do we have capacitors that fail or cold solder joints?

As for parts, where do we get these relays? Digikey? Ebay?

Lets help this guys out and create a useful thread today for the people who can use the information.

Rain Sensor Retrofit: Here
Coupe Headline Replacement: Here
jaymemaurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:16 AM   #23
Vigilante

Quote:
Like if he can change a bunch of faulty capacitors on a motherboard, he should be able to do this too, right??
If so, it should be a walk in the park for him! However, this is where my knowledge ends on this subject, my apologies....
Re-surfaced CH | VC+VCG | CAM/VANOS timing | IMG | NGK-i | BAT+ALT | O2's | GM5 | WP WPP | PSP | DISA | TB ICV MAF | CCV | CAI | OFHG | FP | FF | A/C | FSU | AUC | WSS | BL BD BP | E46Mango! | JFOJ | SB TP IP | springs | Shocks |tires | ASC+ | alignment | E.Flush | Castrol SAF-XJ 75W140 | ZF LGF5 ATF Flush
Planned
FCA+FCAB | Struts
Old 05-16-2012, 04:25 AM   #24
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
I would say the relay replacement is probably a 9-10 on the level of difficultly.

The problem is this:

1. The circuit board is covered in a thin, clear silicon to protect the board from moisture.

2. The solder is a higher temp solder that may be leadless, therefore the melting point is much higher.

3. The circuit board is a dual sided board with plated through holes.

4. The tolerance between the relay and the through hole is very close.

5. Cannot recall for sure, but as I recall the relays are very close to each other, so there is very little room to work?

6. If you get the relays out without ruining the solder pads, the pads will most likely not be clean enough to reinstall the new relay. You will need miniature drill bits and a pin vise/hand drill to clean out the though holes properly.

Scott will sell you the relays, but I do understand how he feels, if you do not have good equipment and exceptional soldering/electronic component replacement skills, you may be up against a big challenge. I have no fewer than probably 7 different soldering irons/stations and YEARS of component level assembly, both through hole and surface mount, and this was probably one of the most difficult component replacements I have run into.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:04 AM   #25
jaymemaurice

My Ride: 01 330ci, 03 Passat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
I would say the relay replacement is probably a 9-10 on the level of difficultly.

The problem is this:...
Awesome answer. Thanks.

Rain Sensor Retrofit: Here
Coupe Headline Replacement: Here
jaymemaurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:30 AM   #26
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post
..... When I asked why the dude replied: "cause you didn't asked"........
Vigilante, LOL this is SO DUTCH!!!!

I lived in Holland for a few years and I have plenty of " cause you didn't ask" stories!!

Also I forgot to answer the other question, the problem is with the relays, they are not something that you can easily pick up on ebay, Digikey, Mouser or the typical electronics houses. I believe Scott make a significant bulk purchase of the proper Tyco?? relays that are direct fit. Assume you could cobble something up, but not likely it would be a good idea.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #27
bbowens

My Ride: 2003 325iT Sports
I just used Scott's BMWGM5.com repair service; very happy with the results.

Last edited by bbowens; 07-16-2012 at 02:33 PM.
bbowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #28
Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Vigilante, LOL this is SO DUTCH!!!!

I lived in Holland for a few years and I have plenty of " cause you didn't ask" stories!!
Cool, I just saw your quote, at least it learn's you to be specific but I love stories though
Planned
FCA+FCAB | Struts
Old 07-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #29
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
It not a piece of cake to get relays out. It takes the right tools and a decent amount of skill. I've seen some really aweful attempts at getting the relays out and some that look ok, but, still didn't work. Here are some pictures bmwgm5.com/CommonProblems.htm

Quote:
Say he can, what are the things that actually go bad? only the relay?! do we have capacitors that fail or cold solder joints?
For door lock problems I've only found the relays, TVS's and the relay driver chip to go bad. I have not seen caps or cold solder joints be the cause of door lock problems.

Quote:
As for parts, where do we get these relays? Digikey? Ebay?
TVS's and relay drivers are available from Digikey, relays are not. Relays are available from bmwgm5.com or eBay.

Last edited by scottjoh; 07-16-2012 at 10:16 PM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #30
ptrcd003

My Ride: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
It not a piece of cake to get relays out. It takes the right tools and a decent amount of skill. I've seen some really aweful attempts at getting the relays out and some that look ok, but, still didn't work. Here are some pictures bmwgm5.com/CommonProblems.htm
Its not easy, but also not THAT hard, just takes a lot of patience. Keep extracting the old solder bit by bit until the relays loosen up. If you have no idea what you're doing, send it in.
ptrcd003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #31
zYx

My Ride: 2003 325CiA
Also, I've heard of few guys that just cleaned contacts inside relays and module works as it should. Maybe this idea is worth of trying before changing relays.
zYx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #32
ptrcd003

My Ride: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by zYx View Post
Also, I've heard of few guys that just cleaned contacts inside relays and module works as it should. Maybe this idea is worth of trying before changing relays.
If you go through all the trouble to get the module out, why wouldn't you just replace the relays? They're not expensive. Cleaning the contacts only works for a short time, they'll oxidize even faster now that the relay is cut open.
ptrcd003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #33
M Pete

My Ride: ///M
Related question here. If I lived in the US still I'd send mine off to Scott right away, but I'm in Germany and daily drive my car so waiting for the delivery times on both ends would probably not be good. I have a line on a GM5 with refurbished relays for a good price. Since this was already in a car, would I still have to have it programed at the dealer??
Old 09-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #34
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Pete View Post
Related question here. If I lived in the US still I'd send mine off to Scott right away, but I'm in Germany and daily drive my car so waiting for the delivery times on both ends would probably not be good. I have a line on a GM5 with refurbished relays for a good price. Since this was already in a car, would I still have to have it programed at the dealer??
Most likely yes, it will need to be reprogrammed. Some things will work properly (like door locks, interior lights) and some thing won't (wipers, window, side rear view mirrors) There are hardware capability differences between modules. Not all modules are even capable of operating the side view mirrors for example due to a hardware addition made to the design of the module made during the production run of the E46.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #35
tko200

My Ride: 01, 325i
If you have not soldered before it is not easy , this fine pitch soldering you can damage the circuit board and components
This what i do every day , speaking from experience.
tko200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #36
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Pete View Post
Reprogram it yourself with NCS expert. As long as the module is from the same build date or newer, it'll be reprogrammable to work with your car
Old 09-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #37
warriorpluto

My Ride: 2000 323i
Do if I have a base 323 what years can I get the GM5 from? Just that year?2000?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
warriorpluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:49 PM   #38
X-310-e46-X

My Ride: e46
Anyone know wherebouts scotts hideout is? Im near 190th and van ness.. I need my unit fixed.
X-310-e46-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:00 AM   #39
bbowens

My Ride: 2003 325iT Sports
Torrance
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-310-e46-X View Post
Anyone know wherebouts scotts hideout is? Im near 190th and van ness.. I need my unit fixed.
bbowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:08 AM   #40
X-310-e46-X

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbowens View Post
Torrance
Right.. torrance is one of the biggest cities in socal, im in torrance . Id rather skip the emails, phone calls and just come get it repared. Or buy one already repaired.. but I dont know if you can just pop a different one in.
X-310-e46-X is offline   Reply With Quote