E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Complete Cars

Complete Cars
List your BMW or other cars, trucks or vehicles for sale.

Don't forget to search for deals on craigslist and eBay Motors

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #101
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
none of the M3 swaps ive seen look as factory as this. None. And i dont know of too many tourings with the swap either.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #102
cabronfiber

My Ride: subaru brat 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
No ishtar. Having looked into it, that's not even the parts alone unless you're crazy lucky. I will say that crap rogue EC article is typical bad EC journalism and talks up the cost/difficulty a lot and makes it sound more crazy difficult than it is IMO, but that said, the only way to reliably accomplish this is either buying a very solid and mechanically whole M3 donor for all the parts and putting tons of work into it yourself, or, using a very expensive shop who knows what they are doing to do the whole job who has wholesale pricing on good salvage parts. Absolutely impossible to achieve for $8k unless you steal half the parts and do every bit of labor yourself.

That's why there's only 2-3 of these floating around but tons of people who'd love one. If I had all the money in the world I might try it myself but it'd start with buying the best wrecked M3 I could find (starting at $10k most of the low mileage ones I've seen w/ full solid drivetrains). Maybe now that E46 are getting old you'll be able to find a high miles M3 donor for cheap, but then you're putting a ton of work into a tired S54... not smart.

I don't know OP or the car and whether it's worth 15 or 20 or 24, but certainly looks nice from afar and certainly can't be easily replicated for $15k unless the pics are totally misleading and it's a mechanical mess where you can't see.
thanks for the well thought out post, the most sensible of the entire thread.

as i have maintained throughout the sale process, anyone who's done their homework will quickly see value in this touring. as you so eloquently mentioned and what many people don't realize is nobody in their right mind would assume the risk of installing a questionable, and potentially tired e46 m3 drivetrain into a project of this scope. what's more, the ENTIRE brake and suspension systems were harvested off the same car (indicative of a donor that wasn't structurally compromised). secondly, it takes time to source a worthy, rust free and completely original host. lastly, this car was my means of commuting to work and toting my family around in. safety, reliability and performance were my key indices after integration. EVERYTHING has been executed to a T. no standalone, no forgoing of creature comforts, nothing.

for those who have actually contacted a competent shop to complete a conversion to this level of detail, feel free to post your findings. everything else is conjecture.

the franken-beast touring wagon is not meant for the dude who wants an e46 m3. those can be had for 10-15-20k all day long, we get that. this car fit my needs perfectly being the gearhead / family man that i am today.

the vehicle is not listed under the premise of a fire sale. attaining a premium and a buyer for a car like this is a component of time. i am happy to keep it and sell other completed projects to justify it's footprint in my garage

sorry for the tangent. i understand it is difficult to classify a vehicle of this type but we can start by comparing apples to apples.

like most of you, i have a family to support and a hugely busy work schedule. in hindsight, i should have linked a vid in the original posting. i have forwarded to various prospects along the way but will work toward posting a vid soon.

thanks again to all for the positive comments.

Last edited by cabronfiber; 01-04-2012 at 10:05 AM.
cabronfiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #103
Imola.ZHP

My Ride: Imola ZHP
Is this still available?

If so, wow!

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus
Imola.ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #104
cabronfiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
Is this still available?

If so, wow!
still available. thanks for the bump!
Old 01-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #105
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 00 328i, 98 M Roadie
Tremendous car. Sorry the high bidder was a flake. I nearly bid on it. Right around the time you put this on eBay I was looking for a nice E46t. They are VERY hard to find in good shape with a good set of options (at bare minimum I required manual gearbox, sport package, xenon). When I saw your ad I had little time to decide my price limit and when the bidding hit the final price I decided I didn't want to get into a bidding war. Right after missing out on the auction I committed to keeping my current E46 so I'm no longer in the market. I was very surprised to see it's still for sale.

Good luck with the sale. You are correct that it's going to take the right buyer. This car is unique and that makes it hard for a potential buyer (me when it was up for auction) to establish a value. I don't think anyone can come close to reproducing what you have for sale in the price range you're thinking about unless that person was a BMW technician and putting their own labor in for free (such as a personal project). I know for certain that E46t in excellent shape with a manual gearbox sell at quite a premium. This car, in this condition, even without the M3 components and other mods is easily a $10-12k car. Add the mods and the M3 stuff and it's a great deal for the right person. Tire kickers and dreamers should just appreciate it and move on.

I hope you get a good and fair price. Had the flake not bid on this car when it was on eBay, I might now be the owner.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #106
cabronfiber

thanks for taking the time to post that. much appreciated.

the right buyer will eventually find the car. i will be advertising it more heavily come spring / summer.

just drove it to san diego 2 weekends ago. tangled with a Magnum PI-era ferrari (308 gtb/gts?) along the way. as you can imagine the other driver didn't know what to think of the station wagon that he could not overtake and pass

alas, she remains a garage queen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
Tremendous car. Sorry the high bidder was a flake. I nearly bid on it. Right around the time you put this on eBay I was looking for a nice E46t. They are VERY hard to find in good shape with a good set of options (at bare minimum I required manual gearbox, sport package, xenon). When I saw your ad I had little time to decide my price limit and when the bidding hit the final price I decided I didn't want to get into a bidding war. Right after missing out on the auction I committed to keeping my current E46 so I'm no longer in the market. I was very surprised to see it's still for sale.

Good luck with the sale. You are correct that it's going to take the right buyer. This car is unique and that makes it hard for a potential buyer (me when it was up for auction) to establish a value. I don't think anyone can come close to reproducing what you have for sale in the price range you're thinking about unless that person was a BMW technician and putting their own labor in for free (such as a personal project). I know for certain that E46t in excellent shape with a manual gearbox sell at quite a premium. This car, in this condition, even without the M3 components and other mods is easily a $10-12k car. Add the mods and the M3 stuff and it's a great deal for the right person. Tire kickers and dreamers should just appreciate it and move on.

I hope you get a good and fair price. Had the flake not bid on this car when it was on eBay, I might now be the owner.

Last edited by cabronfiber; 01-18-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #107
alpine003

My Ride: BMW
I just wanted to bump this for an awesome car(same as mine minus the m3 stuff.

I know there is quite a few people that want this and would appreciate the value and be ok with the asking price. However the demographic market for the e46 crowd is generally someone that is around college age and/or someone that will need to finance it and there in lies the problem. Most if not all banks will not cut you a car loan for something like this.

When I bought my e30 M3 a few years ago, I was lucky enough to get a regular loan through my CC since my credit limit was 25k, at a lower rate than what Credit Unions could offer on a used car loan at the time.

Have you tried advertising it or shopping it around other forums like newer BMW specific forums or even the Porsche forums? I know some of those guys would appreciate and have a need for something like this and also be able to probably pay cash for it.

Just a thought...

GLWS
Old 01-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #108
03E46xi

My Ride: 03 325xi, 91 318is
WILL BUY if your car is still around in a 1 1/2 years haha
Old 01-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #109
dji203

My Ride: Z4 3.0si, 135is
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabronfiber View Post
thanks for the insight.

would you please point me in the direction of where one can get a fully integrated, sorted and shaken down low mileage s54 drivetrain/suspension/braking conversion done for said cost of $8-10k?
In the east coast, NYC shops offer s54 motor + labor for 6500. To get the rear end, it's typically another grand (brakes, limited-slip, etc.). Drivetrain is another $500.

This one has less than 50k mileage:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=849828

So 8-10k is definitely a reasonable number imo.

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos

Last edited by dji203; 01-25-2012 at 10:04 AM.
dji203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #110
geargrinder

My Ride: E46M3Cic6M E39540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dji203 View Post
In the east coast, NYC shops offer s54 motor + labor for 6500. To get the rear end, it's typically another grand (brakes, limited-slip, etc.). Drivetrain is another $500.
Meh. That's one single ad. Nobody is running an open "anybody who wants one take a number" deal on S54 swaps for $6.5k, I guarantee it. And I even doubt if that really includes all the labor to sort it out to turn-key. Note all questions about that the seller replied PM and none of the inquirers seemed to buy... I'm guessing that's "base labor to swap blocks" or something like that.

geargrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #111
wesM3

My Ride: 323it
I built one like this but mine has SMG so my wife could drive it. The swap on these car is a lot of work so 24k is not bad deal if everything is 100% finished. I have been driving mine for almost a year and still haven't finish all the loose ends. How did you fit the stock M3 exhaust? Did you cut the trunk out?
wesM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:06 AM   #112
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
i had insideperformance at first *which is for sale* but i did end up removing the rear floor and welding in the m3 floor - then running the complete m3 exhaust with euro cats
Old 01-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #113
cabronfiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesM3 View Post
I built one like this but mine has SMG so my wife could drive it. The swap on these car is a lot of work so 24k is not bad deal if everything is 100% finished. I have been driving mine for almost a year and still haven't finish all the loose ends. How did you fit the stock M3 exhaust? Did you cut the trunk out?
was hoping someone with first hand knowledge would chime in. thanks for posting. CAR IS 100% SORTED AND FINISHED.

indeed, m3 floor sectioned in (along with mobility kit as pictured). all welds seam-sealed.

Last edited by cabronfiber; 01-26-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #114
SILVRRONIN

My Ride: 2003 325.xit
do you have a youtube for the engine and the wheels on the pavement?...
SILVRRONIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:07 AM   #115
Imola.ZHP

I wish I had a pile of cash laying around...

I'm ready to buy a wagon, but I don't think my credit union will loan out way over and above what an `00 323it is worth =(

I bet others will have the same problem, your going to have to find a cash buyer for this rare gem.

*jealous*

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus
Old 03-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #116
beemdubya

My Ride: 2004 m3
been almost 2 months since the last post...still for sale?
04 imola m3 smg--18" Custom stepped style 5's/angel eyes/projector fogs/carbon fiber interior wrap/alcantara boots/smoked turn signals/black grilles/deleted side markers/sharkfin removed/cross drilled slotted rotors/20% tint/h&r coils/tms camber plates/adjustable rear camber arms/Custom Performance RT/Supersprint x-pipe/Agency power muffler/AA Stage 1
beemdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #117
cabronfiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemdubya View Post
been almost 2 months since the last post...still for sale?
still available.

another go around with ebay (item 140722413419):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...%3AMESELX%3AIT
Old 03-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #118
Imola.ZHP

^ yup, saw that the other day...

Love it...

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus
Old 03-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #119
ChicagoRY

My Ride: 2002 E46
It's a nice wagon, I'd drive it with happiness, but, no offense to the OP, if I worked at Rogue Engineering and I saw you using that reference and a comparison in the introduction of your ad. . . .I might be a little uneasy with it. The Rogue vehicle had about $6k worth of Brembo brakes. . .and some intake plumbing that is conspicuously absent on this car. Those are the kind of things that made it a $65k car. Like I said, this appears to be a nice vehicle, but especially for an audience in the know, comparisons like that only raise eyebrows and skepticism.

+1 for keeping the 323 badge
ChicagoRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #120
cabronfiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRY View Post
It's a nice wagon, I'd drive it with happiness, but, no offense to the OP, if I worked at Rogue Engineering and I saw you using that reference and a comparison in the introduction of your ad. . . .I might be a little uneasy with it. The Rogue vehicle had about $6k worth of Brembo brakes. . .and some intake plumbing that is conspicuously absent on this car. Those are the kind of things that made it a $65k car. Like I said, this appears to be a nice vehicle, but especially for an audience in the know, comparisons like that only raise eyebrows and skepticism.

+1 for keeping the 323 badge
no offense taken. thanks for your post.

my reference to rogue's imola touring was only for the sake of those wondering what the cost / scope would be if they subbed the work out to a (very) capable shop rather than turning their own wrench or completing as much of their own work as their ability allowed.

in hindsight, perhaps my tone shouldn't have been 'so matter of fact'.

to that end, i would hope my 'comparison' wouldn't raise eyebrows or suspicion to the description of the car or my character. as evidenced by post #100, i believe some understood the intent of the rogue reference.