E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2017, 04:35 AM   #1
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: S2000
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Good Deal? S2000 Content (NFRs2000nyc, boostedisbetter, SamDoe1)

I am about to make an impulse buy (when is it not?) to get myself back into an S2K. I told myself if I get another S2K it would have to be an AP2, but I have to make an exception here due to the condition. I can always buy AP2 parts and slap those on little by little so that is not a big deal. Anyhow, here are the specs:

Year: 2000
Mileage: 65,000 (original)
Color: Silverstone Metallic
Owners: 1 (50 y/o)
All stock, never modified; no air intakes, wheels, suspension mods, etc. (only new battery)
Plastic rear window (sucks but can be replaced)
$12,500

Thoughts?

Last edited by nikkeiS2K; 03-22-2017 at 04:35 AM.
nikkeiS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
Silver_Surfer

My Ride: 2006 Lotus Exige
I'll need to do further research, please give me the seller's Name, location, and phone number.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:37 AM   #3
Serega91

My Ride: 03' WRX, 07' S2K
I'd be reluctant to buy an early AP1.
Are there any more pics or just these two?

Looks like there are some exotic trees in the background.... This is in a place with no snow, right? Has it always been in a warm climate?

Pop the trunk and pull the trim. Any water/water residue/rust there?

Check timing chain noise, oil consumption, gears grinding. If possible, take off valve cover and check retainers.
Of course check panels for matching vins

Last edited by Serega91; 03-22-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Serega91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:00 AM   #4
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_surfer View Post
i'll need to do further research, please give me the seller's name, location, and phone number.
14/f/md

Last edited by BreakfastBurrito; 03-22-2017 at 08:01 AM.
BreakfastBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:29 AM   #5
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
OP, try to buy an s2k that was the first one on US soil.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:40 AM   #6
Silver_Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakfastBurrito View Post
14/f/md
Mom?!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #7
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serega91 View Post

Looks like there are some exotic trees in the background.... This is in a place with no snow, right? Has it always been in a warm climate?

Check timing chain noise, oil consumption, gears grinding. If possible, take off valve cover and check retainers.
^ All of this.

That price is on the low side (IMO) for an all stock AP1 with low-ish miles (for the age) so I'm curious as to why the current owner is essentially having a fire sale to get rid of it. It would be a good question to ask.

The big thing with these are the valve retainers and synchros in the gearbox. Retainers can only be inspected with surgery but you might be able to tell the condition of the gearbox just by driving it.

As far as just "slapping AP2 parts on"...it's not always that easy. Many of the parts aren't just a bolt on swap, most specifically the tail lights. The AP2 brings several other advantages that are harder to get like better valve retainers, synchros, a glass window in the back with defrost, more forgiving suspension, etc... If this is a car you want to mod then go for it but if you want to keep it in stock mint condition then I'd wait for exactly what you want. You'll have to pay more to get it but you'll probably be happier in the end.

tl;dr, if the quoted post checks out and you feel like you want to settle for an AP1 vs AP2 then go for it.

Also, PM me the link to the ad if there are more pics there. Don't worry I won't buy it out from under you lol.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 03-22-2017 at 08:45 AM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #8
NYRhockey

My Ride: '04 IR ZHP 6MT Sedan
Man, father time has not been kind to the S2000. Not aged well at all.
NYRhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #9
SamDoe1

OP, buy this instead. Just popped up on c-list around here:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...052953488.html

and this is the sort of pricing I'd expect to see from a bone stock, well cared for example

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/d...051431807.html

Last edited by SamDoe1; 03-22-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #10
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
No offense but why would you pay 12,5K for a 17y.o. car and not just wait it out until the new version comes out?
Old 03-22-2017, 09:27 AM   #11
Silver_Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganFreeman View Post
No offense but why would you pay 12,5K for a 17y.o. car and not just wait it out until the new version comes out?
Either a new version isn't coming out or the new version wasn't an improvement. Cars are getting heavier and less mechanical.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #12
SamDoe1

Quote:
Same reason why people are paying out the nose for a 993 Porsche or a 1G NSX.

Also, new version isn't at all confirmed, just rumors at this point.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #13
juicytofu

My Ride: the subway
Or remove the top completely and get a hard top. I hardly ever drove with the top down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #14
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicytofu View Post
Or remove the top completely and get a hard top. I hardly ever drove with the top down

Then you bought the wrong car.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #15
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: S2000
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
I'll need to do further research, please give me the seller's Name, location, and phone number.
GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serega91 View Post

I already saw the car in person. Checked all the VIN #s, body panels are straight, any signs of overspray, there is no snow is our area so that wouldn't be a concern and the car has been here since day 1, no TCT noise, wasn't leaking oil, gears checked out and no popping out of 2nd, no water residue or rust, still has original jack and spare tire.
Quote:
OP, try to buy an s2k that was the first one on US soil.
in reference to the S4 thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
^ All of this.

That price is on the low side (IMO) for an all stock AP1 with low-ish miles (for the age) so I'm curious as to why the current owner is essentially having a fire sale to get rid of it. It would be a good question to ask.

The big thing with these are the valve retainers and synchros in the gearbox. Retainers can only be inspected with surgery but you might be able to tell the condition of the gearbox just by driving it.

As far as just "slapping AP2 parts on"...it's not always that easy. Many of the parts aren't just a bolt on swap, most specifically the tail lights. The AP2 brings several other advantages that are harder to get like better valve retainers, synchros, a glass window in the back with defrost, more forgiving suspension, etc... If this is a car you want to mod then go for it but if you want to keep it in stock mint condition then I'd wait for exactly what you want. You'll have to pay more to get it but you'll probably be happier in the end.

tl;dr, if the quoted post checks out and you feel like you want to settle for an AP1 vs AP2 then go for it.

Also, PM me the link to the ad if there are more pics there. Don't worry I won't buy it out from under you lol.
The reason for the low price is just ignorance of its true market value, which is why I am considering this buy in the first place. If it were just like any of the other salvaged or raced out iterations out there then I wouldn't even bother.

I am getting the car inspected today, so I will ask about valve retainers and synchros.

AP2 parts...hmmm if they will take some modding then I probably won't bother with slapping on parts. Just keep it stock and maybe just change the wheels to the AP2V1 wheels.

These are the only pics. The only other pics are in my head

Quote:
OP, buy this instead. Just popped up on c-list around here:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...052953488.html

and this is the sort of pricing I'd expect to see from a bone stock, well cared for example

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/d...051431807.html
I already feel guilty for spending $12K on a 17 year old car and you post ads asking for $20K and $30K?!

What do you think of this one?
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/6044307015.html

Quote:
I know it is ridiculous but there is a reason why people pay so much for this old car. It is fun. You just gotta drive it and see for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicytofu View Post

I looked at hard tops and they are expensive. $4K - $5K OEM.

Last edited by nikkeiS2K; 03-22-2017 at 11:41 AM.
nikkeiS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #16
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Someone go buy this one, I want it but its just not in the cards right now.

https://www.autolenders.com/used-car...S2000-2T000488
Old 03-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #17
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkeiS2K View Post
The reason for the low price is just ignorance of its true market value, which is why I am considering this buy in the first place. If it were just like any of the other salvaged or raced out iterations out there then I wouldn't even bother. If that's the case then buy it and flip it for $15k-$16k. Shouldn't be an issue at all. Then go buy the AP2 you want.

I am getting the car inspected today, so I will ask about valve retainers and synchros. Make sure you get a compression test done as well.

AP2 parts...hmmm if they will take some modding then I probably won't bother with slapping on parts. Just keep it stock and maybe just change the wheels to the AP2V1 wheels. That's what I'd do, except swap in the new top with a glass window. You won't get defrost but you won't have to look out of a ziplock bag anymore. Most major AP2 parts will take some modification to make fit, it's not really worth it anyway.

These are the only pics. The only other pics are in my head

I already feel guilty for spending $12K on a 17 year old car and you post ads asking for $20K and $30K?!

What do you think of this one?
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/6044307015.html
See above in bold for most.

Well the $12k is a really good deal so don't feel guilty. Don't think the people dropping $50mil for a 50 year old Ferrari with sh1tty brakes care that much either. The $20k one is what I'd expect something like this to go for (and the price I expected to see) and the $30k one is a unicorn that should go in a museum or something. Don't buy the more expensive one if this one pans out.

That one in SF looks good and the price is right. With cars like that, you have to make sure everything looks good and tight as the miles are up there. It also looks like it's lowered so check if it's stock or not. Also the wheels look a little beat up, something else to look at. Guessing that one has been through some sh1t. If you're looking to mod, it's probably a good buy. If not, keep looking.

JMO.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:32 PM   #18
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Someone go buy this one, I want it but its just not in the cards right now.

https://www.autolenders.com/used-car...S2000-2T000488
Too expensive for an AP1. I wouldn't pay that much for it unless I wanted nothing other than a low mileage AP1 in silver.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:40 PM   #19
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
Too expensive for an AP1. I wouldn't pay that much for it unless I wanted nothing other than a low mileage AP1 in silver.
So $20k for one with 56k miles is what you'd expect, but one with 14k miles and a warranty is overpriced?
Old 03-22-2017, 12:51 PM   #20
boostedisbetter

My Ride: NiNe tHoUsAnD!!!
...Guess I need to read these posts... Standby...