E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
pilot_alex

My Ride: 2014 435I Msport
Send a message via MSN to pilot_alex
Ask a pilot anything

Felt bored and I know a lot of people are interested in aviation so go ahead
Old 01-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
Cowspoo

My Ride: 328Ci
Cowspoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
LowDog

My Ride: Ferguson
why does the plane not fall down when its up in the air ?
Old 01-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
What sparked your interest in flying.

What kind of planes have and currently fly.

What would you like to fly one day?

Have you experienced any scares in your career of flying (i.e., uh oh situations)?

Last edited by Penguin Koolaid; 01-23-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
freed0m1

My Ride: 2004 330i zhp
are aliens real?
freed0m1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
alex1524

My Ride: 2002 Bmw 325ci
Send a message via AIM to alex1524
Do we REALLY need to turn our electronic devices off prior to take off and landing? The electronic signals aren't strong enough to really disrupt the planes electronics and navigation are they?
Old 01-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
pilot_alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDog View Post
why does the plane not fall down when its up in the air ?
It because you overcome drag and weight with lift and thrust. Even if engine fails the wings are designed to keep you afloat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
What sparked your interest in flying.

What kind of planes have and currently fly.

What would you like to fly one day?

Have you experienced any scares in your career of flying (i.e., uh oh situations)?
Hmm this is a tough one. My uncle was a pilot flying old crop dusters. I flew once and i think after that i always wanted to be a pilot.

I currently am F/o on a Challenger 604 or Citation X and the good old CESSNA 172 (H)

I would like to eventually get into a 777 but thats still far down the line.

Incidents ye originally in my training i was not IFR rated (instrument) got myself into a cloud at night due to unpredicted weather , the plane started freezing up (no de-ice on a 172) and i knew that there was uneven terrain on the bottom. To my luck there was an airport and i got ATC vectoring to the airport. Pretty scary though i was in cloud till 1500Ft from ground. Another one was my engine quitting on final approach. I glided in but was pretty scared since i was over the city.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
pilot_alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1524 View Post
Do we REALLY need to turn our electronic devices off prior to take off and landing? The electronic signals aren't strong enough to really disrupt the planes electronics and navigation are they?
This is an ongoing argument. The #1 reason is you want everyone to pay attention to the safety briefing and incase of crash on takeoff/landing last thing you need is some punk kid trying to open the emergency door because he did not pay attention.

Another reason is imagine sitting beside someone throughout the flight and all they do is talk on their cell. (cell phones dont work up there the speed is to fast for you to change towers)

And lastly sometimes we do get interference in the headset when someone has their phone left on. Its the same sound as if you put your phone to the radio and it makes that sound. Really annoying and if you miss a ATC call bad events can happen.

Navigation meh never really had a problem. I think thats really a myth.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
SDKmann

My Ride: 01 Cherokee
Member of the Mile High Club? What is the longest flight you have ever taken?
SDKmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #10
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon
How many times have you flown drunk?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #11
pilot_alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKmann View Post
Member of the Mile High Club? What is the longest flight you have ever taken?
Haha i knew someone was gonna ask. We dont fly with a flight attendant so me personally 5 and that was all with my gf . And longest i ever had was 15 hours. All flying was not done by me because of duty times. Not allowed to fly more then 14hrs in a 24hr range. Usually 2 crews fly long flights.

Last edited by pilot_alex; 01-23-2011 at 06:14 PM.
pilot_alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
m3oneday

My Ride: FORD EXPLORER
I was watching a movie and it said that pilots dont really get paid alot, they pretty much do it for the love of flying. There was a pilot who was on food stamps, and other pilots chimed in saying it wasnt uncommon. True?
m3oneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #13
pilot_alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3oneday View Post
I was watching a movie and it said that pilots dont really get paid alot, they pretty much do it for the love of flying. There was a pilot who was on food stamps, and other pilots chimed in saying it wasnt uncommon. True?
These Tv shows are biased. There is little truth to it. The way it works is when you enter a company the first year salary is 15-20 000USD. This is due to you being in training for most of the year. Also regional airlines are very low pay because they operate under different rules. Regardless by law you never work more then 80hours a month.

I saw the documentary on TLC and i call most of it bs. Yes its not like it was before where flying a small plane you made 100 000 but you still make a ok living. Once you are in your second year for flying your salary is 40-50 000. When you get into AA, Untied etc you start at 70 000.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #14
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: fast
Have you ever had air head? When my GF blows me when driving its hard to pay attention to the road. I figure it would be the same while flying.

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #15
Gucki83

My Ride: E92 M3 ZCP / 635CSi
Old 01-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #16
pilot_alex

And for anyone interested this is what happens when pilots get bored and play around with a million dollar sim
Old 01-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #17
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
Who is more srs bsnss, American air traffic controllers, or Canadian

Old 01-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #18
Wes

Are you interested in flying for pleasure and if so, do you have your own (or plan to have your own) plane?
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #19
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2013 Infiniti G37S
I did some flying at Spartan School of Aeronautics before dropping out (I just wasn't/am not good at flying...coordination issues)...anywho. Seems like regulations from the FAA have only gotten worse. That was one of the factors in me quitting...didn't feel like dealing with ALL of the bull:censored:. Also, I thought it was 8 or 10 hours per 24 hours for flying...and that it was FAA controlled, not a union thing...is it a union thing?
Old 01-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #20
pilot_alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
Who is more srs bsnss, American air traffic controllers, or Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Are you interested in flying for pleasure and if so, do you have your own (or plan to have your own) plane?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115 View Post
I did some flying at Spartan School of Aeronautics before dropping out (I just wasn't/am not good at flying...coordination issues)...anywho. Seems like regulations from the FAA have only gotten worse. That was one of the factors in me quitting...didn't feel like dealing with ALL of the bull:censored:. Also, I thought it was 8 or 10 hours per 24 hours for flying...and that it was FAA controlled, not a union thing...is it a union thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER View Post
*yawn*

Would put up a clip of one of our sim events, dropping torpedoes on subs and blowing ships up with a maverick or Harpoon missile.... Too bad it's a secret confined space....

I kid I kid Alex.....
Hands down FAA is way more serious then TC. You guys have a higher volume of traffic so you guys have alot of guys who take job very serious.

I do not own my own plane but soon maybe acquiring a old Cessna. Its not really cost effective here. Alot of people sublet their planes to flying school but i do not want to do this.

The hours for us are controlled by Transport Canada. Its also based on you operations. I.e 701 704 705 etc. Charter has diff rules then airlines and air taxi ops are also different. And yes you are right it is 8hr with a break. I.e you can fly max 8 hours then break and then you can preform an additional 6 but no more then 14 in 24. Its a bit strange how it works. (canada at least) Its also no more then 80hrs a month or 1200 a year.

Lastly i wish you could post that video lol