E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #1
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alive & Kicking
Posts: 4,904
My Ride: F
Study: Berkeley soda tax falls flat

For those that remember this soda tax imposed last year in Berkeley, CA. Here's an update.

Quote:
A Cornell-University of Iowa analysis of a soda tax passed last fall by voters in Berkeley, California – the first such city ordinance in the country – found the measure so far has fizzled, raising retail prices for high-calorie sugary drinks by less than half the amount expected.

The law, which took effect this March, imposes a penny-per-ounce tax on distributors of sugar-sweetened beverages, such as soft drinks, energy drinks and presweetened teas. Distributors pay 20 cents per 20-ounce bottle of Coke, for instance. Tax proponents expected the extra cost to result in higher prices for shoppers, which would discourage soda consumption.

To date, however, consumers have been largely spared from higher prices, researchers found. On average, prices for beverages covered under the law rose by less than half of the tax amount. For Coke and Pepsi, only 22 percent of the tax was passed on to consumers. The findings, by economists John Cawley of Cornell and David Frisvold of the University of Iowa, appear in the National Bureau of Economic Research working paper, “The Incidence of Taxes on Sugar-Sweetened Beverages: The Case of Berkeley, California,” published Aug. 17.

“In light of the predictions of the proponents of the tax, as well as in light of the previous research, we expected to see the tax fully passed through to consumers,” said Cawley, professor of policy analysis and management and of economics in Cornell’s College of Human Ecology. “In contrast, we find that less than half, and in some cases, only a quarter of it is. This is important because the point of the tax was to make sugar-sweetened beverages more expensive so consumers would buy, and drink, less of them.”

So-called “sin taxes” are designed to improve public health by discouraging people from purchasing unhealthy products. Smoking rates, for instance, have plummeted in the United States in recent decades partly due to federal, state and local taxes that have driven up cigarette costs. Berkeley officials hoped that the soda tax would raise prices and lead residents to avoid energy-dense sugar-sweetened beverages, considered a culprit for high rates of obesity and chronic disease.

“The reason for this surprising result could be related to the fact that it's a city tax and therefore store owners have to be concerned about the ability of consumers to shop at stores outside of Berkeley,” Cawley said. “Concerns about cross-border shopping could contribute to a low pass-through of the tax.”

For the study, the research team visited nearly all Berkeley groceries, supermarkets, pharmacies, convenience stores and gas stations and recorded prices for a wide variety of products. They collected data from a comparable sample in nearby San Francisco, where a ballot initiative to impose a soda tax failed last fall. The researchers compared price changes for regular and diet drinks – which were untaxed – in both cities from before (Dec. 2014) and after (June 2015) the tax took effect.

The study, authors note, offers several advantages over previous research on soda taxes in other nations. It’s the first to collect extensive store-level data on prices before and after a tax on regular and diet drinks and it includes a neighboring control location to account for trends in prices over time.

Revenue collected from the tax – projected to be $1.2 million in the first year – goes into a Berkeley general fund, part of which has been earmarked for healthy living programs. Though the tax does not yet appear to be raising prices, the authors note that the idea has merit.

“There is an economic rationale for taxes when consumption of the good imposes negative externalities, and obesity costs taxpayers billions each year in medical care costs in the U.S.,” Cawley said. “A sugar-sweetened beverage tax is a very narrow approach to internalizing the external costs of obesity, because there are many other food and drink items that are also energy dense and lack nutritional value. But to the extent such a tax helps internalize the external costs, there is an economic rationale for it.”
http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/...tax-falls-flat
__________________
"If more people said what they meant and felt, were ‘real’, rather than wore a mask or withheld, plus there was more self-awareness and less judgment in society, the world might be a better place and real discussions, change & progress might happen."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
BoogetyBoogety
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas!
Posts: 814
My Ride: 2010 SL550
Dumbasses...

Here in Dallas, a nickel-a-plastic-bag charge was instituted by our dumbass City Council to discourage people from trashing the bags and having them end up tangled in trees. Problem was (as above), neighboring cities didn't charge the nickel, and shoppers shunned Dallas stores and drove the extra mile or two to Richardson, Plano, Mesquite, Duncanville... And Dallas storekeepers went ballistic. The ordinance was quickly rescinded.

When will governfolks give up trying to legislate behavior, and just let the marketplace dictate what succeeds and what fails? Dumbasses...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc336
BE QUIET STAY IN SILENT YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TALK ANY MORE. YOU ARE SO MADD AND IM HAPPY . DUMB YOUR MOM
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:53 PM   #3
5ynd1cat3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 506
My Ride: swagger wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogetyBoogety View Post
Dumbasses...

Here in Dallas, a nickel-a-plastic-bag charge was instituted by our dumbass City Council to discourage people from trashing the bags and having them end up tangled in trees. Problem was (as above), neighboring cities didn't charge the nickel, and shoppers shunned Dallas stores and drove the extra mile or two to Richardson, Plano, Mesquite, Duncanville... And Dallas storekeepers went ballistic. The ordinance was quickly rescinded.

When will governfolks give up trying to legislate behavior, and just let the marketplace dictate what succeeds and what fails? Dumbasses...

No no, you're wrong. They know what's best for you, citizen. Now move along, there's nothing to see here.
__________________
5ynd1cat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 335
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
the best way to fight obesity is fat shaming. Period.
__________________
** Removed ** by a nerd
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:50 PM   #5
Lair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Liberal Paradise
Posts: 346
My Ride: e90,e90, $5k Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
the best way to fight obesity is fat shaming. Period.
And the best way to fight assholes is to give them a forum to display their assholery.
__________________
The Hunter S Thompson of e46f.

Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:15 PM   #6
BoogetyBoogety
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas!
Posts: 814
My Ride: 2010 SL550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
the best way to fight obesity is fat shaming. Period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
And the best way to fight assholes is to give them a forum to display their assholery.
In before someone calls you a fat fvck
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc336
BE QUIET STAY IN SILENT YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TALK ANY MORE. YOU ARE SO MADD AND IM HAPPY . DUMB YOUR MOM
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:25 PM   #7
wasp9166
ima touching member
 
wasp9166's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: straight out da bronx
Posts: 5,969
My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
soda is poison

on that note, guy next door was found dead from huffing keyboard cleaner

it seems they stick the straw up there nose and their heart explodes


guy was stiff as a board ,lol
__________________

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:40 PM   #8
BreakfastBurrito
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 316
My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
soda is poison

on that note, guy next door was found dead from huffing keyboard cleaner

it seems they stick the straw up there nose and their heart explodes


guy was stiff as a board ,lol
Are you the key suspect?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
BreakfastBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #9
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 931
My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogetyBoogety View Post
Dumbasses...

Here in Dallas, a nickel-a-plastic-bag charge was instituted by our dumbass City Council to discourage people from trashing the bags and having them end up tangled in trees. Problem was (as above), neighboring cities didn't charge the nickel, and shoppers shunned Dallas stores and drove the extra mile or two to Richardson, Plano, Mesquite, Duncanville... And Dallas storekeepers went ballistic. The ordinance was quickly rescinded.

When will governfolks give up trying to legislate behavior, and just let the marketplace dictate what succeeds and what fails? Dumbasses...
Plastic bags actually help the environment....most people don't throw them away, they reuse them for 1001 other purposes.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #10
Lair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Liberal Paradise
Posts: 346
My Ride: e90,e90, $5k Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
soda is poison

on that note, guy next door was found dead from huffing keyboard cleaner

it seems they stick the straw up there nose and their heart explodes


guy was stiff as a board ,lol
Pics of keyboard cleaner?
__________________
The Hunter S Thompson of e46f.

Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #11
wasp9166
ima touching member
 
wasp9166's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: straight out da bronx
Posts: 5,969
My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
__________________

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:15 PM   #12
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 5,539
My Ride: Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Plastic bags actually help the environment....most people don't throw them away, they reuse them for 1001 other purposes.
I can't tell if you're joking or not.
__________________

flickher

Want something 3D printed? PM me


What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:20 PM   #13
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 931
My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
I can't tell if you're joking or not.
Nope....big in the immigrant community. People use them for garbage bags, freezer bags, dog poop bags, etc. Those bags are also thinner than a real garbage bag, requiring less plastic. They get reused. I use them for wrapping around used paint rollers, etc. Banning plastic bags from supermarkets makes people buy other plastic bags that contain more plastic.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #14
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 5,539
My Ride: Yukon
They still end up in the dump at some point though, because that type of plastic can't be recycled. Just because it gets reused doesn't mean it suddenly disappears from the planet.
__________________

flickher

Want something 3D printed? PM me


What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #15
coco savage
Registered User
 
coco savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CFBMW.org
Posts: 1,364
My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
They still end up in the dump at some point though, because that type of plastic can't be recycled. Just because it gets reused doesn't mean it suddenly disappears from the planet.
lol
__________________
**LINK:BUY MY E46 Parts**

Random Images


Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:11 PM   #16
MDydinanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 760
My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
the best way to fight obesity is fat shaming. Period.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
And the best way to fight assholes is to give them a forum to display their assholery.

Lol.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:12 PM   #17
MDydinanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 760
My Ride: is a ///M
Study: Berkeley soda tax falls flat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Nope....big in the immigrant community. People use them for garbage bags, freezer bags, dog poop bags, etc. Those bags are also thinner than a real garbage bag, requiring less plastic. They get reused. I use them for wrapping around used paint rollers, etc. Banning plastic bags from supermarkets makes people buy other plastic bags that contain more plastic.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
They still end up in the dump at some point though, because that type of plastic can't be recycled. Just because it gets reused doesn't mean it suddenly disappears from the planet.

lol, again

Last edited by MDydinanM; 09-12-2015 at 11:13 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:13 PM   #18
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pyongyang, NK
Posts: 623
My Ride: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
For those that remember this soda tax imposed last year in Berkeley, CA. Here's an update.



http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/...tax-falls-flat
So this kinda flies in the face of the idea that companies will pass the taxes/costs to the consumer. Hmm..who would of thought?
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:19 PM   #19
MDydinanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 760
My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
So this kinda flies in the face of the idea that companies will pass the taxes/costs to the consumer. Hmm..who would of thought?

Eh. I wouldn't say that. Like with a lot of things in life, "it depends"
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:27 PM   #20
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 931
My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
They still end up in the dump at some point though, because that type of plastic can't be recycled. Just because it gets reused doesn't mean it suddenly disappears from the planet.
Misconception.....that type of plastic CAN be recycled, it just has to go through a different process. This is an "issue" in those parts of the country that have public (municipal) garbage collection, rather than subcontracted private garbage collection (like in NJ)....since there is money in ALL recycling, the private companies actually spend the time to sort all of their recyclables, and sell it by the ton to the appropriate recyclery. Public (like NY Department of Sanitation) do not try and "profit" from the recycling, so they would indeed throw it into the landfill.....and we've proven yet again, that public anything and union labor sucks.

Plastic bags tonight's dinner came in....



__________________

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 09-12-2015 at 11:31 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use