E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 01:05 AM   #41
TitanSilverE46

My Ride: 2001 318i & 325i
Looks like I had better do some qualitative research.

Car is garaged in the cool. Today my wife said fan was blowing OK on way out to the shops but failed when about to drive home. (Car had been left for 30 mins in sun). Just checked temps. Outside 25.5C (78F) but inside car 40C (100F). I would like to be able to tell APSX temp at which unit decides it is too hot to work. My guess is if the unit runs OK initially, then switching on the A/C will keep the temp in the car at 20C or whatever even if the outside temp starts heading heavenwards and not be a problem. It will only be if the car is left in the sun and the inside temp rises to 30C ??? that the FSU will shut down. Now of course this is unacceptable and either a mod to cope with this needs to be made, or a reversion to the old prong type will be what people will do.

Certainly if this latest unit which APSX is sending me doesn't cut the mustard, I will be reverting to the older style. I am not averse to trying something new, but you have to be practical too.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #42
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanSilverE46 View Post
There have been skeptics to this product such as 'GoingNuts' but we all know that many of his comments are as a result of him liking to 'stir the possum' as we say here in Oz.
My comments are the result of superior foreknowledge and reasoning, and correct appreciation of good engineering that rich car companies can afford. If these go over some people's heads, it is not my fault. Rather to descend to their level, I expect noobs to rise up to my level. Given sufficient time, noobs will eventually see what I told them all along. The only things I really stir are the kangaroos. Even so, I am never wrong about the kangaroos. Ask sprintman how he knows.

Last edited by GoingNuts; 11-08-2011 at 09:58 AM.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:14 AM   #43
TitanSilverE46

While I have been interested in trying this new form of FSU, I must suggest caution be exercised.

In an earlier post I have said that the original version (Mk I) performed flawlessly for me for 5 months from March (Autumn in Australia) to the middle of winter. This version was recalled by BPSX as some units were causing overheating and melting of the plug and socket.

I fitted the second version (Mk II) in September and it performed well until we started coming into the warmer weather in Australia. It was fine if the in-car temp was below 25C but above that it failed to operate the fan. Worked again when the cabin cooled down.

On advising BPSX of my experience, they supplied a new version, (MkIII) which was a little deeper than Mk I or Mk II. I fitted this on 18th November and initially it performed well with warmer temperatures. That was for about 2 weeks, then it stopped altogether. Today I had an opportunity to pull it out and it had overheated and melted the plug and possibly shorted a couple of the wires.

I will need to get a new plug and fit it before I can go further. Unfortunately I have lost confidence in the technology as it is at present and as I have a 'pronged' type FSU I will be fitting that now once the new plug is installed.

I have advised BPSX of my experiences and await their response.

So, as I said at the start of this post, use caution with this unit.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #44
B Potter

My Ride: 01 330
received my prongless BPSX fsr in the mail last night, 20 bucks shipped off ebay. I plan on putting it in this weekend. Anybody from this thread still using theirs?
B Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #45
lmr2wil

My Ride: '00 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Potter View Post
received my prongless BPSX fsr in the mail last night, 20 bucks shipped off ebay. I plan on putting it in this weekend. Anybody from this thread still using theirs?
Did you actually read this thread?
lmr2wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #46
js292

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Nope! Mine never worked right from the start, and when it finally quit all together I pulled it out and it looked like it was burnt. Put a behr unit back in last year and have had no problems since. (with the ac anyway )
js292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #47
rudycoop

My Ride: 3 pedal 330i
I just ordered one a little over a month ago. Works fine so far and the customer service is great. That was an old version that has been updated.
rudycoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #48
B Potter

I put it in yesterday after work. Because it is smaller than the original I had to add a screw to hold it in because the clip wouldn't hold it in. So far it seems to run great I will update this thread the longer I have it.

The only difference I've noticed so far is the lowest speed is faster than the lowest speed of the old one. Not complaining, just an observation.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #49
TitanSilverE46

Quote:
As I reported back in Dec 2011, with their MkIII version, I had to replace the melted plug when it failed and I fitted a Behr unit. The Behr unit has had no problems for the last 16 months.
A few months ago BPSX contacted me and offered me their latest unit free of charge. They believed they had all the problems solved. Unfortunately the melting of the plug last time caused me to knock back their offer.

Their customer service is great ... no problem there. They are really trying to develop an alternative technology but I wasn't prepared to test any further.

Please do keep the list informed on how their latest version performs. I really would like to know and wish them well in their endeavours.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #50
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Wow, thanks for the 2-year update! Good to know. While it's always nice to have a smaller design, it's been made clear that those heatsinks are put on there for a very good reason. A melted plug would scare me away permanently as well.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #51
rudycoop

I will say again that I am happy with mine and think others should consider it if they simply cant afford the expensive unit. Surely go Behr if you can afford it, but in all honesty these cars are old, and owned by a lot of people that can't afford costly repairs when there is a viable option that is far cheaper.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #52
incandescent1

My Ride: 328ci se
Exclamation not completely convinced on BPSX FSR

Tried the BPSX part which worked for a 6 months or so before getting the scitzoid behaviour back. Eventually it never came back on.

I've also tried the Bavarian parts cheaper (30ish) version before this and it failed too. I remember making a 'dogs ear' of it, going green all over, seeing red, breaking one of the clips on the FSR connector! Then to top it off, the heat sink fell off! I managed to get back on after using a bit of cpu heat sink compound which worked a treat and the part lasted a few months. Unfortunately I'll never know what broke it, the variable spiky voltage or me gently banging the metal back around the black plastic insert bit the connector plugs into. BHER part has more alloy and less plastic so better quality.

Out of the 2, the BPSX one lasted longer. Still waiting for reply from rick Though on replacement. I agree though that the BPSX part is much more appealing on the spec.

In mean time, bought a much cheaper second hand BHER FSR on eBay. Although used, looks like a genuine BMW part so will give a try.

Has anyone ever noticed that the FSR gets much hotter when you set the blower speed to lowest? Think it's cause of the increased resistance the components have to do to ramp down the blower output voltage. Full speed means less FSR resistance and less heat. Tried this with the Bavarian part by just holding it while in operation. Almost burn me after 30 secs on the low setting! For longevity, turn the blower off when you don't really need it. Might reduce wear and tear on the components.

Fingers crossed new BHER one works a treat! I'm going to just cable tie it partially inserted and leave the whole thing open for at least a year before putting anything back!

Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be some other component failing that's feeding the FSR

Last edited by incandescent1; 06-03-2013 at 04:48 PM.
incandescent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #53
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by incandescent1 View Post
Has anyone ever noticed that the FSR gets much hotter when you set the blower speed to lowest? Think it's cause of the increased resistance the components have to do to ramp down the blower output voltage. Full speed means less FSR resistance and less heat. Tried this with the Bavarian part by just holding it while in operation. Almost burn me after 30 secs on the low setting! For longevity, turn the blower off when you don't really need it. Might reduce wear and tear on the components.
The power dissipation is a function of the voltage across the FSR multiplied by the current through it. At the lowest fan speed the voltage across is at it's highest, but, the current through is at it's lowest. The setting that will cause the most power to be dissipated in the FSR is the 50% setting where the voltage across the FSR is the same as the voltage across the fan motor.
Since the FSR is mounted with the heatsink in the air stream is gets a lot more cooling than in the lowest fan speed. Setting highier than 50% should be the best since the power dissipation starts to drop off and there is more cooling air.

The above it true only for linear fan control modules like the original BMW and BEHR. Those that use switch mode control have completely different power dissipation, but, will sent switching noise into the car both conducted, through the wiring and radiated which can get picked up by the radio and cause reception issues. FSR with very little cooling surface area are most likely switch mode controllers.

Last edited by scottjoh; 06-05-2013 at 11:34 AM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:24 AM   #54
incandescent1

My Ride: 328ci se
ah, good to know scottjoh. I didn't test the 50% setting. I'll try "taking the heat" so to speak again on that setting when I get round to installing the replacement.

Looks like Rick from BPSX has issued me a replacement! I can see a Ups shipping note in my email. That's amazingly fast service I must admit. looks like i'll have 2 FSR's to try now. I guess someone's gotta continue the research where Titansilver left off right? I'll keep an eye on the cable temperature when I first install and see how this gets affected. More importantly see if the BHER part is better at reducing this.

Last edited by incandescent1; 06-04-2013 at 04:25 AM.
incandescent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #55
rudycoop

My BPSX still is working fine. Only about 3 months now though.

Just a Jersey guy lost in NorCal
Old 10-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #56
Revisa69

My Ride: 2002 325xi TITANSILB
Finally a Upgraded Final Stage Resistor that works! (SolidState)

Hey guys,

After blowing my third Blower fan FSU. I decided to look around for much better solution. First to go was the all aluminium OEM, then two upgraded Behr FSU with the plastic base. I then stumbled across a parts maker in the US that had created his own upgraded FSU's for the e39, e36 & e46 chassis. It is currently installed and runnin strong and great. Here are the benefits and differences between the OEM and BPSX FSU:

- LIFETIME WARRANTY
- Higher flow of air blown @ highest setting
- Uses less energy under load
- Extremely low running temperature: less than 100 F (38 C) compared to OEM @ 200 F (93 C)
- Overall design deletes the use of heat sync prongs
- Voltage output is constant @ 12.05 as opposed to 12.30 for OEM & BEHR
- High stability
- OEM & BEHR FSU become defective @ 20A
- BPSX FSU never become defective even above 30A
- This is key since the FSU circuit is protected with a single 30A fuse.
- Solid State internals
- GREAT AFFORDABLE PRICE

Check him out @ betterpartx.com

Cheers.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Revisa69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #57
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
This was already discussed. Proven to be a bad item.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #58
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Threads merged.

Last edited by Solidjake; 10-19-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #59
B Potter

Quote:
I put it in yesterday after work. Because it is smaller than the original I had to add a screw to hold it in because the clip wouldn't hold it in. So far it seems to run great I will update this thread the longer I have it.

The only difference I've noticed so far is the lowest speed is faster than the lowest speed of the old one. Not complaining, just an observation.
Well, guess it didnt last a year... My fan quit working last night.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:30 AM   #60
Rockford

Hmmm, seems like BPSX no longer exists. Website no longer works. Pitty, I still think there must be a better solution to what BMW obviously designed poorly. Just how hard is it to spin a fan motor?!! Every other car manufacturer seems to be able to do it.

When the fan in my 2002 e46 failed, I ordered a new FSR from a local distributer (not genuine part, but 1/4 the price). The suspect FSR was branded Sitronic and made in Germany. During the swap over, I noticed that the fan motor supply connector on the harness had corroded and therefore created a high resistance, causing more current draw, resulting in excessive heat, melting the plug. I have seen a few threads from others who also have had melted plugs. Good way to start an electrical fire! I cleaned the connector and installed the new FSR. All worked well for a few weeks but eventually, the erratic behaviour returned.

I have ordered a new plug housing and connector pins from BMW and will be installing this weekend. I suspect that the over heating of the connector has damaged the connector pins causing bad conductivity. I would recommend to anyone replacing their FSR to carefully examine their harness plug for damage and have it replaced if suspect. You don't want to burn your bimmer to the ground.
Rockford is offline   Reply With Quote