E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
marqe46

My Ride: ///M3vert
Send a message via AIM to marqe46
Sudden random power loss + stalling. Help!

Months and months back my car would all the sudden idle rough, sound rumbly like V8 at idle, along with bad power loss, and SES
*Pulled codes: random misfire, cyl # so and so misfire, along with P0012-intake timing over retarded, P1525-intake solenoid open circuit*

I have a OBDII-scanner and every time the issue comes up like once a week; I would just reset all the codes and clear the SES and the car would run fine as if it's normal again(maybe not fully 100% power). The same codes eventually comes back then to the point of running rough again about some days or a week later, reset to clear all fine, then acts up again and cycles.

>>Fast forward>>

Just a few days ago after work, I had the car running around town for about over an hour with a couple long idle sitting with AC on in this Vegas summer heat. Got back on the road again and felt the sudden loss of power as I was accelerating in traffic and the rpms would dip down as I gave it some throttle and it eventually stalled out. It fired back up no problem, but wants to dip in rpms and no power the more you step on the gas pedal, tho gave it enough to cruise it to a safe alley driveway. Shut it off to give it a few mins of rest and it would start again fine, but then still dies out shortly afterwards. So I decided it was best to tow the car home.
*Pulled NEW codes: P1342-misfire cyl 1, P1344-misfire during start cyl 2, P1348-misfire during start cyl 4, P0316-misfire detected on startup(first 1000 revolutions)*

Was thinking the cause may have been a bad Vanos solenoid coil pack and/or clogged valve body or somewhere along those lines that just gotten worse to the point of sudden power loss and stalling out. So before I go ahead and order a Beisan systems Vanos solenoid coil pack from Raj, I decided to first flush and clean the aluminum Vanos valve body and filter with CRC brake cleaner. So I took it apart and did just so, and also spray cleaned the hell out of the Vanos electrical connector with electrical cleaner.

All done! I reset and cleared the codes again for a fresh start. Fired up fine, idle sounds normal, and drove the car around for a test drive with fingers crossed it wouldn't stall in regular traffic and in some long stretched roads. At about 33miles of test driving, the car did the same studder and power loss and stalls again. Started it back up, felt weak running, and barely crawls it into a parking lot without giving it too much throttle since it wants to dip down in rpms instead the more I did to the point of stalling and so it did. Give it about 10 or so mins of rest, and drove it back home fine without acting up, luckily. Back home with 40 miles of test drive, stalled at 33mi, and still no SES light, plugged the scanner anyway and still nothing related to the codes I used to get with random misfire, P0012, P1525 etc.
*Pulled codes: NONE! so far to say the least.. after Vanos valve body cleaning and 40+ miles of driving*

Today I decided to give the MAF some heavy spray cleaning with the MAF cleaner, sprayed down the electrical connectors with electrical cleaner, and cleaned my re-usable panel air filter which didn't look too bad when I pulled it out the air box. Will keep you guys updated...

Anyone have a good idea what the sudden random power loss & stalling issue could be??

*sorry, tried to present the issue as detailed as possible without having to write a book lol*

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
Alcyon

My Ride: M3
I would check the cylinders compression
Alcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
marqe46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcyon View Post
I would check the cylinders compression
This only happens intermittently. It comes after so and so amount of driving and goes away again, and so on and so forth. I've also realized the AC doesn't have to be on for it to occur. Very puzzling.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
$ilent ///M

My Ride: 03.5 M3 smg lsb
http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm
$ilent ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:04 AM   #5
marqe46

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent ///M View Post
Did you have exactly the same issue? What codes did yours throw? Somehow I am not getting any codes anymore that would lead me to think it's the Vanos solenoid pack since I cleaned the Vanos valve body. The new codes which *sometimes* would show up would be P1342 etc code(s) which are misfire during start up code(s) and *sometimes* misfire during the first 1000 revolutions.