E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #321
Teddy7

My Ride: slides
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flop View Post
Thanks a MILLION for this information. Very enlightening. I have some work to do!

I am curious how you removed the rear window regulators? I have always thought about doing this, but haven't come up with a solution to hold the windows shut once the motors are gone.
Haha, no problem. They stay up surprisingly well with just the static friction from the window trim, but what you can probably do is push the window all the way to the top after removing the regulator and then wrap the guide/slide together with gorilla tape or something. That will bind the two pieces together and they'll never move again, until you remove the tape obviously. The other option you have is just finding a way to bind the plastic wheel that keeps tension on the wire where the regulator was. Either method will work.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #322
indoafro

My Ride: 325ci
omg, i love this thread, everyone seems to be really friendly here...

btw

everybody know that tax money will come, i was thinking about to get lsd for my car, what you all guys think ? which one is the best bung ? (instead of swap with m3 subframe) and how much it cost ?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
indoafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #323
Flop

My Ride: '04 330Ci 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy7 View Post
Haha, no problem. They stay up surprisingly well with just the static friction from the window trim, but what you can probably do is push the window all the way to the top after removing the regulator and then wrap the guide/slide together with gorilla tape or something. That will bind the two pieces together and they'll never move again, until you remove the tape obviously. The other option you have is just finding a way to bind the plastic wheel that keeps tension on the wire where the regulator was. Either method will work.
Ha, you know, I just remembered that you have a 4-door. I was curious about the window motors for the coupe's rear windows that kick out.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #324
Teddy7

Quote:
Ha, you know, I just remembered that you have a 4-door. I was curious about the window motors for the coupe's rear windows that kick out.
I like how I didnt remember that either. In that case I have no clue since i have no experience with coupes.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #325
Teddy7

Went to the 1/4 mile track last night. When I first bought my car it was an auto that weighed 3340lbs and ran a 16.5 at 83mph. Last night it weighed 2770lbs and ran a 14.9 at 93mph. Thought I'd post this here so you guys can see how much not only a 5 speed but weight reduction can help your performance. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1020692
Old 01-11-2014, 01:47 PM   #326
Flop

Quote:
Went to the 1/4 mile track last night. When I first bought my car it was an auto that weighed 3340lbs and ran a 16.5 at 83mph. Last night it weighed 2770lbs and ran a 14.9 at 93mph. Thought I'd post this here so you guys can see how much not only a 5 speed but weight reduction can help your performance. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1020692
Wow, that is great. Very solid time. Makes me want to get mine to the track ASAP.

I'm curious what seat rails/mounts you are using? I think bucket seats will be my next upgrade to shave weight and keep my ass from sliding around.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #327
Teddy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flop
Wow, that is great. Very solid time. Makes me want to get mine to the track ASAP.

I'm curious what seat rails/mounts you are using? I think bucket seats will be my next upgrade to shave weight and keep my ass from sliding around.
Thanks man. They are just universal brackets that I drilled new holes in to accomidate the e46 lopsided seat mounting. Just make sure you get some with decent welds. It's a life and death part. Just like making sure you buy decent hardware and harnesses. Not that I'd think you would cheap out but just reminding you.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #328
Flop

Quote:
Thanks man. They are just universal brackets that I drilled new holes in to accomidate the e46 lopsided seat mounting. Just make sure you get some with decent welds. It's a life and death part. Just like making sure you buy decent hardware and harnesses. Not that I'd think you would cheap out but just reminding you.
Agreed.

Can't wait to see how much weight I can shave by ditching the OEM powered/heated/leather seats.

Edit: Decided to go with the Wedge E46 brackets. They seem to have good reviews.

http://wedgebrackets.com/bmw-e46-cha...-brackets.html

Last edited by Flop; 01-12-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #329
acpstunts

My Ride: E46 330ci / E53 X5
Been away from the forums for some time. I keep getting alot of PMs regarding hydro ebrake setup. Please follow this guide here: http://my350z.com/forum/drift/524847...e-writeup.html as it relates to our vehicles as well, for the most part.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #330
Teddy7

Finally went to my first drift day.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1023658
Old 02-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #331
Flop

Quote:
Finally went to my first drift day.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1023658
Awesome man. Car is LOUD!
Old 02-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #332
Teddy7

Quote:
Awesome man. Car is LOUD!
lol yeah, just a little.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #333
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
Anyone been sliding? I'm hoping to drive again on the 15th.

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #334
topshelfvinyl

My Ride: e46
I have lol just street stuff , should be pulling my diff tomorow to weld it , the event i sponsored got rained out , so it set my budget and timeline back , we have a drift event on the 21-22nd so ill be drifting that one
topshelfvinyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #335
Alexander13

My Ride: 328ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfvinyl View Post
I have lol just street stuff , should be pulling my diff tomorow to weld it , the event i sponsored got rained out , so it set my budget and timeline back , we have a drift event on the 21-22nd so ill be drifting that one
How the hell do you "Drift" with an open center diff?
Alexander13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #336
Teddy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander13 View Post
How the hell do you "Drift" with an open center diff?
It's not really drifting, but here is pretty much what you can do with an open diff. This was back when my car was automatic and had an open diff.

My youtube channel has a couple more. Anything that doesn't have "welded diff" in the title means it was with an open diff.

Last edited by Teddy7; 03-09-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Teddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #337
topshelfvinyl

well no it still really is drifting , and just because you have an open diff or VSLD doesnt mean it wont get sideways lol mind you a locked diff is better but i know people that have one events in stock diffs , if you can steer and control your car , you can drift it
Old 03-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #338
Teddy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfvinyl View Post
well no it still really is drifting , and just because you have an open diff or VSLD doesnt mean it wont get sideways lol mind you a locked diff is better but i know people that have one events in stock diffs , if you can steer and control your car , you can drift it
Don't get me wrong. I agree, since I've done quite a bit of sliding with an open diff. It's just that you have to make huge sacrifices with an open diff to keep the car sideways. It's drifting, but such a different technique. For example, with a welded. I just throw the car and power through the corner adjusting angle as I please. With an open, the only thing keeping the car sideways is pretty much the initial momentum.

...So to keep it sideways, you have to reduce the angle, gain more speed, then throw the car back out(a good example is the video I posted above). If you pay attention, notice how the car seems to gain and lose speed quickly. That's the result of me getting full lock angle and then straightening out slightly to gain speed for another full lock angle. It requires so much steering work it's ridiculous.

Welded/LS Diff = the ability to keep a constant curved drift with mostly throttle input and less steering input.

Open Differential = Continuous flicks/sawing of the steering wheel during a single corner to keep the car sliding sideways
Old 03-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #339
topshelfvinyl

ill post some videos when i get a chance , i have a 2 day event coming up anyway then when i get back car gets parted out in the shop
Old 03-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #340
topshelfvinyl

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I agree, since I've done quite a bit of sliding with an open diff. It's just that you have to make huge sacrifices with an open diff to keep the car sideways. It's drifting, but such a different technique. For example, with a welded. I just throw the car and power through the corner adjusting angle as I please. With an open, the only thing keeping the car sideways is pretty much the initial momentum.

...So to keep it sideways, you have to reduce the angle, gain more speed, then throw the car back out(a good example is the video I posted above). If you pay attention, notice how the car seems to gain and lose speed quickly. That's the result of me getting full lock angle and then straightening out slightly to gain speed for another full lock angle. It requires so much steering work it's ridiculous.

Welded/LS Diff = the ability to keep a constant curved drift with mostly throttle input and less steering input.

Open Differential = Continuous flicks/sawing of the steering wheel during a single corner to keep the car sliding sideways

the way to get around that is to never lift , sounds cliche but if you constantly floor it the wheel speed should stay the same, but round one is in about 2 weeks , should atleast have the diff welded and a hydro ,

btw dont you have one , did you take out one speed sensor to not mess with the abs when using the hydro?

round 2 i should have if not all the parts for the new motor , only thing im worried about is if i end up having to take the car to houston for wiring