E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 03:05 AM   #21
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
anyone been out there sliding lately?

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:18 AM   #22
SalM

My Ride: Shhh
Did some sliding in my pick up if that counts

SalMPhotography
SalM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #23
jstrobs21

My Ride: 330i
It's been rainy here in TN, so I've been taking a few "detours" on the way home, but there's not an event until next month. I've been stocking up on tires for it though... I'll let you know how it turns out.
jstrobs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #24
SalM

My Ride: Shhh
Take pictures!

SalMPhotography
SalM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #25
jstrobs21

I'll be sure to take pictures and some video. I have a Hero cam with a suction cup mount which I love. I'm a 240 drifter (I know, I know...), but I'll be out there with some sideways german four door craziness without a doubt! (Honestly, the 330i has 2842985308 times more power than my 240 but is much harder to slide. It just wants to go fast, straight! Need some adjustable sways bigtime.) Looove sliding it regardless!!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #26
acpstunts

My Ride: E46 330ci / E53 X5
Awsome (all drifters welcome here haha). Im still in the building process. Getting my subframe reinforced soon and diff/lsd setup shortly. Also looking into cage options... then it'll be ready) Did all the other suspension mods already ( Full Adj Coilovers / Adj Sway Bars / Front+Rear Control Arms ) When I bring in the car for the subframe work, Ill be doing upgraded subframe bushings as well.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:49 AM   #27
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Friend of mine is preparing this Alpina E36 for drifting (Sorry no E46 content)

Old 05-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #28
Activ3

^WOW!!! Please post updated pics when it's finished!

Old 05-06-2011, 04:16 AM   #29
paraklas
OEM ///Member

Sure, car is at the body shop right now being prepped. Diff has been welded already. I'll take more pics when it's finished

Here are some more shots

Old 07-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #30
paraklas
OEM ///Member

Finished!

Old 07-13-2011, 02:27 AM   #31
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 3 Pedal SG S54B32
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
sick ride! does that hydraulic ebrake just engage the normal rear brakes?

don't know how i missed this thread, but i'm going out a dry lake bed this weekend to go drift around.

I find that faster... 2nd/3rd gear stuff is very do able with no lsd, however when i try to get into the more technical stuff, as solemn or even slower transitions (transitions in general... but i think the faster stuff is just because my skill level isn't that great yet). Its hard for me to even get into the 2nd gear figure 8s.

here are just a few pics of my last event!

full opp lock

wet skidpad ftw.

i'm absolutely dying for lsd! i missed out on that one in classifieds a month ago.

Last edited by SL Blak Soldier; 07-13-2011 at 02:29 AM.
SL Blak Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #32
i<3my3.

My Ride: 328ci
Send a message via AIM to i<3my3.
scared of welding my diff..

some people say it will put stress on the axle and snap.

some say the whole rear end gets fked up.. idk ..

how long ago was your diff welded?

ahha cheapest way..
i<3my3. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #33
Activ3

That e36 looks legit.

Looking good Raj!! LSD will make the car feel 100% different... the control during a slide isn't even comparable. I bought some used spindles off of ebay and had a friend move the tie-rod point closer to the hub, it gave me a bit more steering angle and I'm loving it. Not sure if you've experience the car hit full lock and then continue rotating in to a spin, but with the new knuckles that point is moved further out so it gives you a lot of room to play with.

As far as welding the diff, I've done about 5 events now and haven't had any serious problems. My floor/subframe are reinforced though, and I'm running powerflex rear subframe and rtabs. I've put probably ~20k miles on the car with the welded diff. It's been great except for tight parking lot turns and tire wear lol.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:24 AM   #34
jstrobs21

Hey everyone.. I haven't been on here in a while (...and I see the same goes for everyone else) so I am going to try and bring this tread back from the dead with some BMW DRIFT CARNAGE PICS!!!! These were taken during Import Alliance (big, two day car show/extravaganza) at the Nashville Superspeedway. Honestly, I wasn't real interested in everything else that was going on (and don't get me wrong, there were some AMAZING cars there), it's just that I was there just to drift, and that was it.
Like I said before, I am a 240 drifter and this was my first real event in the Bimmer (which is an almost BONE stock 330i), and it was muuuuuuuuuch harder to drift than my nissan. But reguardless, I got the hang of her and had a blast.
Also, this weekend is another event (a MUCH smaller one), and I should be sliding my 330 along with my 240 on Saturday as well.. This time I'll try to get pics up quicker. None of my friends took many, so I had to hunt for these, and contact friends of friends, and so on.
(One more thing..... that drift car^ is NUTS. Tell him I'll trade my "drift" car for his! And whats the offset on those wheels!?!? Like -80???)

ENJOY!!!!!

Line up:

On the straight:

Turn 1 (hairpin) Sequence shots - 1

Turn 1 Sequence-2

Turn 2

Turn 2 Sequence shots - 1

Turn 2 Sequence-2

Turn 2 Sequence-3

Turn 2 (from the other side of the track)

Turn 3 Sequence shots - 1

Turn 3 Sequence-2

Turn 3 Sequence-3

Turn 3 to 4 (from the other side)

Coming into turn 4

Turn 4 and exiting the course - CONE

TAP!!

Hope you guys enjoyed the shots! I dunno, theres just something about a BMW sideways that I just love..

I have some video too that I might throw up some links too as well....
Old 08-19-2011, 02:31 AM   #35
chorizo

My Ride: E3SIXXX///
can i swap a 3.0 out of a bmw 2002 325 into a 1997 528 series
chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #36
DET330ci

My Ride: 2001 330ci 5MT
Great thread!
Old 09-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #37
kunt_masha

My Ride: E36 M
building an e46 this winter but I drove this for my first two events... fun stuff and im hooked!

Last edited by kunt_masha; 09-15-2011 at 09:55 PM.
kunt_masha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:10 PM   #38
jstrobs21

nice shots man! whats in the works for the e46? build pics!!
Old 09-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #39
Barzini

My Ride: alpina b25,e46 323ci
That's my unfinished e46 328i. Now equipped with m54b30.

And here playing with open diff and old engine.

Now just waiting to install seats and LSD fitted in e46 non M casing.

Last edited by Barzini; 09-16-2011 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Adding more pictures
Barzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #40
sc330

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Whats Up! Try to keep this thread going by introducing myself. Im Graham, been hanging out on e46fanatics for a while now although not much recently. Been doing a lot of work on my 330 over the last several months and just recently got it to a point to where i can start getting out there a doing some events. Ill say when the build started drifting was not the focus but have to say i am glad that i took the route that i took. Original plans were to make a DE car out of it and something that i could also use as my daily since i only have one car right now. That direction i have still held on to, but recently have gained a love for drifting. The beauty of a good DE setup is adjustable suspension which now makes it a triple purpose car. DE, DD & Drift! Although it mostly stays in drift mode now.

The car has come along way but is still far from finished. I guess it all started back in January at a Streetwise Drift event up in Charlotte where i ran into Andy Sapp. After talking for probably an hour he had me dead sold on getting a Kaaz. So i immediately when home a started combing through FS ads and eBay. Finally came across one completely by chance. I saw a FS ad for a JB Racing LTW flywheel & clutch and at the price it was listed i immediately jumped. So after about 5 PM's or so me and the seller started discussing car setups and i told him that i was also planning on doing a LSD. And sure enough he just happened to have a Kaaz 1.5 way that he had just taken out after one of the teeth on the pinion gear had broken off, but he assured me that the LSD was still solid. Without having to event think about it i PayPal'ed the money and the next week a 3.46 diff showed up at my door. I immediately took it inside a began tearing into it and would you believe, after busting most of the pinion gear into lots of little bits, the Kaaz unit itself was not touched at all. So another week of searching to find a new donor diff landed me a nice 3.46 itching for real diff. So eventually got everything back together and in the car and sure enough it still worked like a champ and still is today with 30,000 more miles on it. So if your in the market if an LSD, Kaaz. The end. And weather you find a deal on a used unit or drop the dough for a new one, i promise it will be the best money you will ever spend modding
your e46.

So after the diff and flywheel came the usual track car upgrades. A set of Koni yellows and Ground Control Coil over Conversion, Hotchkiss sway bars, , camber/caster plates, and all the usual bushings. And then in evidently came the need for mo powaaa!! After much research and thread digging i could only come to one conclusion. Either deal with the 238hp stock motor or drop some serious coin on some serious shiz. Well it didn't take long to realize that i am way too broke to either swap or go FI so that left me stuck with a stock motor that cant make much more power over stock for cheap. And after reading the numerous horror stories that surround the M54. Ones like oil pump nuts falling off, chains coming apart, oil pump shafts breaking and so on, it really made me even more scared to try and extract any more out of that motor than its already got. So this is where things got creative. First, in went an M3 air box for better flow with a K&N drop-in and next a set of Bimmerbrake headers but mostly for sound. And then the fun began.

One night as i was hanging out with some of my car buddies, we got on the discussion of power to weight. We were just sitting around throwing out ideas of chassis and motor combination. As the conversation went on it turned into contemplating just how light i could get my 330. By this point the hood was popped and we were all just sitting around pointing out the various parts of an e46 that could be removed without compromising the drive ability of the car. Now let me clarify; drive ability as in the fewest things on our cars necessary to just get by as a street car. So this got me thinking a lot, a whole lot and needless to say by the end of the night my perfectly working A/C was completely out. And from there it seems to have caught on like a various. Next was all the emissions garbage under the hood along with the washer tank, then slowly the trunk got gutted. But i would have to say the breaking point was the day that my interior came out. If you have not looked under my user name by now to see what i drive, its an AW 03 ZHP sedan. And yes, every last bit of that Alcantara and aluminum trim came out. Currently taking up 2 full pallets at my shop, its all still there maybe one day to go back in. Only after a roll cage of course. The sport cloth/Alcantara seats were replace by two Corbeau FX1 Pros, the sunroof replace with a nice thin sheet of carbon fiber and the plush black carpets replaced by custom aluminum floor pans i made to hide all the wiring underneath. Slowly but surely every last ounce of unnecessary weight came out including airbags, radio, speakers, rear door panels, center console, cabin air filter tray, carbon canister, fog lights and horns.

Now you might ask why strip such a nice car, was it worth it? And the answer is HELL YEAH! Yeah it might be a little loud or a bit harsh or a tad hot in the summer but having an e46 with good suspension underneath that feels this light and nimble is IMO defiantly worth every sacrifice. Currently the car sits at roughly 2800 if not a bit under with 1/4 tank of gas and no driver. Starting from 3350, that's a huge difference, and not only does it handle like a dream now, it will even give m3 verts a run for their money.

Well that's the cars story, but for me, im just beginning. The car has come a long way and im at about that point now to take the car and start getting out there to some DE and drift days. So far i have only done one drift event back in September. All in all i think it went quite well, the car did good and held up for the most part, at least what i threw at it. My mistake was letting one of the instructors take it around the course. Some how he managed to get the clutch disk so hot it stuck to the pressure plate. With this occurring only half way through the day i was determined to get back out there and log as much seat time as i could. It was a bit of a trick driving without being able to disengage the clutch. Had to put it in first with the car off, use the starter to get rolling. Once going had to pop it out of first and gently slide it in second gear while trying to match the rpm's as best i could, but after that it was business as usual. Eventually got the clutch sorted out the next day and up until now it seems to be behaving and i pray it stay together just long enough to make it down to Clear To Drift on the 29th.

Well that pretty much sums up me and my ZHP. Its nice to see a drift thread on e46fanatics, i sure did not think i would ever see it on this forum. Lets see if we can't keep this one alive and maybe if were lucky they will make a drifting sub section like over on bf.c. And of course what would this thread be with out some pics.

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drift11.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	421677   Click image for larger version

Name:	drift9.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	421678   Click image for larger version

Name:	drift7.jpg