E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DIY: SAP Sim

32K views 59 replies 25 participants last post by  EvaJuli 
#1 ·
I've been meaning to get this written up and posted, but have just been busy. I hope what I've put together is detailed enough. People can send me details or add info, and I'll update the file.

Attachments

#4 ·
The PCB and Project Box can be purchased from Radioshack, but I don't have part numbers for them. They carry a good selection in store, so as long as you get a PCB that is at least 2" by 3", and a box that can hold that, plus at least 1" tall, you shouldn't have a problem.

#7 ·
This is the only one that I found for the M54:
http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac---s54--s50-euro-exhaust-air-valve-egr-block-off-plate-p1744.aspx

But I'm too cheap, so I made one from some 1/8" steel I got at Lowes. It was a paint to cut with a hack-saw, but it was shaped the same.

However, I remember reading that BMW had an OEM part that fit. I did some research a while back, and wasn't able to find the part number. I just did some more digging, and they show the part on the diagram for my car, but don't give the number. But for the EURO model, the list the number. I put that in at ECS, and I got a hit.

Part #10 looks like the right one to me. I guess the EURO ones didn't come with the egr valve. ECS has the part for $7, which is much better than the other one, and better than making one too.

#13 ·
The car will show a CE/SES light if you remove the SAP without using a simulator.

...Also if I deleted my SAP without the sim, would my car still run the same and I got an SES or will it effect engine performance in any way?
Performance will not be affected by removing the SAP, which pumps air into the exhaust for about a minute on cold days. Otherwise the valve is closed and the SAP is not operating.

The low flow code (due to SAP removal) will not affect the car, but you will not know if you have a legitimate new code without constantly reading if new codes have been registered since the SES light would be already on.

#12 ·
If i were to use that part to block off where the EGR connects to the block, how should I go about closing that other little vaccum line that connects to it, golf tee? Also if I deleted my SAP without the sim, would my car still run the same and I got an SES or will it effect engine performance in any way?

#16 ·
I'm hoping someone could give me a bit of insight into the 04+ models.

There appears to be two different types of SAP systems for our cars. I just took a look at mine and I have the newer version with an air filter. Part number 3 is a mass air flow sensor. I don't even see a connector for control signals on either SAP. Is it hiding somewhere?

NEW SAP

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BD53&mospid=47713&btnr=11_3515&hg=11&fg=50

OLD SAP

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BN53&mospid=47713&btnr=11_2188&hg=11&fg=50

#21 ·
The board is just a plain 'breadboard' type board. It's just got a bunch of holes, so that the legs of the components will stick through there, and you'll be able to glue and solder the wires from one component to the other. Radioshack carries a few good ones that will work.

I should have taken pics of that part.

#20 ·
I'm getting a CEL from the sap and I have headers with no cats, but I have an 01. I do not need the SAP since I have headers, but I do not want a CEL as all my other CEL's are off except two that I think are from bad pre o2 sensors.

#37 ·
The sim works (edit: the design definitely works). I ran the one that I described in detail, for quite a while, without any problems. It sounds pretty complicated, but it really isn't. And it's really easy to bench test for faults.

The car might be complicated, but the way the car uses the SAP isn't, and what it is looking for with the SAP is very simple.

#39 ·
It is similar, but mine has a few extra components to stabilize the output voltage and absorb back EMF from the relay.

Note - I've sold lots of them to e36 owners and had a zero return rate. I sold one to an e46 owner and he got a CEL after a while. He wasn't local so I couldn't troubleshoot, but I can't guarantee my SIMs work on the e46.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.