E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
vishmutzy

My Ride: '01 325i Touring
Solved: Water leak passenger side floor

Rained on Saturday and on Monday morning I noticed that the passenger side front & rear carpet was soaked. After damage control with a shop vac & dehumidifier, I spent some time on E46fanatics trying to figure out where to start looking for the source of the water entry.

Started by checking for missing floor plugs and clogged cowl drains. No problems.

Next I removed the door trim and sealed the vapor barrier perimeter with weatherstrip adhesive. It had several loose areas. Thought that was it.

Just to be thorough, poured water into the sunroof trough. A few seconds later water was dripping from under the glovebox near the kick panel and puddling on the carpet. Dropped the A-pillar trim and headliner front corner... bingo. The z-shaped rubber hose was hanging free, disconnected from the drain tube.
Spread some silicon RTV onto the tube and inserted the hose. Just to be sure I didn't have do this again I clamped the hose with a zip tie.
Hope this works... expecting more rain tomorrow!

Wanted to thank everyone who contributed to all the informative threads on water leaks. Uploaded some photos of the sunroof drain for future reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5126.jpg
Views:	4341
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	395735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5123.jpg
Views:	3849
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	395736   Click image for larger version

Name:	roof drain.jpg
Views:	4157
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	395738  

Last edited by vishmutzy; 03-08-2011 at 09:48 PM.
vishmutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:55 AM   #2
kermitthefloer

My Ride: 04 330ci/ 99 S70
update when the rain comes, I think I am having the same problem
Old 03-09-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
///Flash
Banned

My Ride: a donkey
i am having the same problem too

thanx
tagged for later
///Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
vishmutzy

It rained off and on for the past two days and so far so good.

A quick way to check if your sunroof drain(s) are disconnected is to slide open the glass panel and slowly pour water into the troughs on either side of the opening. The water should exit just behind the front wheel, outside the car. If you see it dripping from the headliner, A-pillar or under the glovebox your drain is disconnected.

Dropping the corners of the headliner really isn't that difficult. The hardest part is removing the screw cover strip from the A-pillar trim... slow and patient, grasshopper. Start at an end and after getting the first clip out look which direction the tab is facing (towards the windshield) and put gentle pressure in the opposite direction (away from windshield) as you pop up the remaining clips.

If you want to make removing the A-pillar trim screws (T20) a snap, go to Home Depot and buy an off-set drill attachment (Milwaukee 48-32-2100... see image) for $20. Otherwise a 1/4" ratchet and some forearm burning will suffice.

After that, remove the sunvisor pivot and retainer (careful with screw covers... mine disintegrated). Next remove the assist grip. Finally untuck the headliner from the door opening trim and drop it down a few inches. The rubber drain is right there, and it should be connected to a metal tube.

Good luck.

My carpet underpad foam is still drying. The last few nights I had a dehumidifier in the cargo area (wagons are cool!) and a fan blowing underneath the carpet. It's pretty cool driving around with no front passenger seat... feels like a race car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71EDJ5SVFBL.gif
Views:	519
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	396119  
Old 03-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
What kind of A Pillar is that? Yours look fuzzy and thick

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 03-10-2011 at 11:11 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
Len013091

My Ride: S52 E30, 330i
Send a message via AIM to Len013091
In for having the same issue today...
Len013091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
aniolPL

Location: Chicago Ridge IL, Poland, sometimes Alesund - NORWAY
My Ride: 2000 328i,2003 330ci
I used to have this issue in my previous 2000 328i, but not always.

Just hit 190K - 10/01/2010 :)

YouTube video of my car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot7eKtAqTjg
aniolPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
vishmutzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post

Yes, mine is fuzzy and thick. Kinda sounds weird out of context, huh?
I have an '01 325iT
Old 03-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post

delmarco, the first picture is of the headliner, not the a-pillar cover. if his covers are from the factory and unadulterated, they are not fuzzy and thick, but smooth and thin.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
mikejm7

My Ride: ZHP
Thanks to the OP. The passenger side carpet was soaked in my 04 330, and I was stumped. Took apart the a-pillar and peeled back the roof liner this afternoon and voila, god damn hose had fallen off!

Now I'm just doing some damage control, removed the seat pulled up the carpet and she is drying right out. Thanks again man!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Sub'd.

Its only a matter of time before I have interior leaks as well!
Old 03-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
cmpcpro

My Ride: 2000 Mercedes S430
I just replaced my pillar covers and they were brand new from the dealer.. they're really cheap actually.. I even bought an extra one.. they're not fuzzy at all..
cmpcpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #13
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
No sunroof FTW!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #14
ice2003

My Ride: 02 330ci ZSP,ZPP,ZCW
Is this where they drain? I have just recently fixed my car from a wreck, and snapped this pic when the fender was off. I remember I a tube inside that black piece to the left of the tire. I must've pulled it loose because I am having water in the front and rear passenger mats.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN5139.jpg
Views:	1842
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	396819  
ice2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #15
BEK

My Ride: BMW 328iA Touring
Have the same problem I think - water dripping from somewhere around the glove box, down on the speaker cover and kick panel at passenger side. I even have drops of water inside the glove box

I dropped the A-pillar trim and the corner of the headliner, but no hose seemed to be loose at that point - is it very obvious if it's disconnected ?
I could just bare see a part of the hose, but wasn't able to see how it's routed at the A-pillar - is it inside the frame ?

Are there any other connections, other than the one that I couldn't find ?
My headliner or the A-pillar trim didn't seem to have been wet, so I'm wondering if there's another connection further down ?
BEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #16
cmpcpro

My Ride: 2000 Mercedes S430
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcpro View Post
I just replaced my pillar covers and they were brand new from the dealer.. they're really cheap actually.. I even bought an extra one.. they're not fuzzy at all..
I take that back.. the ones from the dealer are fuzzy.
cmpcpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #17
ice2003

My Ride: 02 330ci ZSP,ZPP,ZCW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice2003 View Post
Is this where they drain? I have just recently fixed my car from a wreck, and snapped this pic when the fender was off. I remember I a tube inside that black piece to the left of the tire. I must've pulled it loose because I am having water in the front and rear passenger mats.

Well, I fixed the problem, and yes it was that hose that had come off. The hose is only about 3 inches long, though. It runs from the drain on the sunroof to a metal nipple-like connector, which I couldn't see. I could only feel it because I couldn't get the headliner back far enough or I would have bent it.
ice2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #18
drumbum624

My Ride: 325xi
Send a message via AIM to drumbum624
I had a similar problem on my drivers side. I think my drain was just clogged though and not disconnected. I blew 80 psi of compressed air into the drain and that did the trick. This might be a troubleshooting step for people to try in the future?
Old 03-24-2011, 07:09 AM   #19
EDawg

My Ride: :/
so are there sunroof drains going down both A-pillars or just the passenger side?
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:15 AM   #20
EDawg

My Ride: :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishmutzy View Post
Started by checking for missing floor plugs and clogged cowl drains. No problems.
what and where are the floor plugs, and how do you check for clogged cowl drains?
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, leak, moonroof, sunroof, water