E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
kifyaksergey

My Ride: 2001 330i M tech I
2001 330i Aux Fan

Hello this is my first post on the forum. i just recently bought an 01 330i that was stripped out for parts. I am almost complete with the rebuild all that is need is to take it to the paint shop and add a cd player.

Any ways i just recently took it out for a test drive and i notice that the aux fan between the radiator and the engine always comes on when started. even when engine is cool. It also appear to be running at full speed.

I dont know if this has been posted on here before. If so a link would be help as im new to forums and i don't know how to navigate very well

any ideas where i should start
kifyaksergey is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
Make a video.

I'm guessing you bought an auto? The fan is spun by pulley's so its always running.
It shouldn't be running at max speed though. The fan clutch or something else could be bad.

Also check out the **Official Minneapolis Thread** in the regional forums.
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
kifyaksergey

No it is a manual transmission so the fan would be electric driven if anybody know of another thread that has similar issue the link would be greatly appreciated and your guys time will be save.

I tested the wires leading to the fan the red/blue wire tested 12.75 volts and the blk/grn wire tested very low in the milli volts 30.20
i dont know if this helps

Last edited by kifyaksergey; 02-26-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
That is not the Aux Fan. I don't know the answer to your question, but the fan you are describing is the main cooling fan, not the aux fan. The aux fan is the one directly behind the bumper, and it adds additional air flow when the AC is on.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
colo330xi

My Ride: 01 330xi
The electric fan on the manual trans cars does do a self test when started. If it is staying on very long, there might be something wrong with the control circuitry in the fan.
colo330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
kifyaksergey

The fan come on once the engine is started and stays on until the engine is shut off. Any ideas on what what can be tested in order to find the fault. Could it be that the aux fan that goes in front of the radiator support is not hooked up yet i haven't got around to installing that yet
Old 02-27-2011, 02:04 AM   #7
colo330xi

My Ride: 01 330xi
Only 1 fan on manual trans e46s. No aux fan in front of the condenser/radiator.

If the fan is going full speed all the time, there is a fault somewhere. I would suspect the relay box that is located on the fan shroud. There isn't replacement available, your best bet is a good used fan, or a new one.
colo330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:49 AM   #8
kifyaksergey

i realized that the fan doesn't always come on right away sometime it come on after about ten seconds wondering if that would eliminate the possibility of the fan being bad and lean more to the sensor that triggers the fan?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
chsu74

My Ride: 550XI,993TT,GL320
I am on my 3rd aux fan. The first one failed at 1500 miles after delivery and had to wait almost 3 weeks for replacement. After that, I had an updated version of the aux fan reinstalled under warranty. Not sure why one would not have it. It was a wide spread problem for BMW in 00 and 01. Even 5 and 7 series had this issue.
chsu74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aux fan, cooling fan