E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
clt330ci

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Question Rebuilt M54B30 or S52B32 build & swap? opinions please?

I have a '02 330Ci. The M54 powerplant she has is getting high mileage cause i use her as a daily driver. But i recently got me another daily driver and im parking my sweetie in the garage lol Its gotten high mileage cause she has been a daily driver its almost 140,000 now ? i would like some other guys opinions on what to do... I debating on whether to buy this S52B32 i can get a hold of and build it on an engine stand and drop it in.. or i could drop the M54 out and completely rebuild it... any suggestions on which would be best? which one i could get more N/A power out of? I thought of maybe boring and/or stroking the M54 but not sure... maybe later down the road i might s/c whichever motor I choose but I'd like to run it N/A for a long while first. So opinions on better bang for my buck, which motor would be better for the FI, and so on. All opinions welcome
Thanks..
clt330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
S54 swap isn't that easy, but it'll get you more power than a built 330 can., and it's definitely easier than building up an s54. Take a look at pei330s engine build thread. He probably spent the cost of 2 or 3 M3s to basically get a N/A performance level that just barely matches a stock s54. On the other hand, I've heard of race teams getting 400 crank hp out of the s54 with "minor modifications"
Old 03-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
Tate325xi

My Ride: 325xi & CLK55 AMG
I'd go S54 over S52, if you're going to do the swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
sometimes i'm into it and my one hand gets tired, i try switching, but then it's like someone with lou gehrig's trying to peel a carrot.
Tate325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Oh oops, I read that as S54 instead of s52. Between those options stick with the m54 since electrically the s52 would probably be a pain. If you want power go with the s54.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
compression test and boost it. S52s are for e30s :p

more power than swap. cheaper if not equal the price. easier.

rolling the dice with swap, you know you babied your engine and other than the disa valve and some gaskets, the m54 is pretty solid even at 140k.

Ive reviewed this kit, and went by their shop to drive 3 separate kits all with varying mileage.

will turn your car into a civil beast.

call it a day.
http://techniquetuning.com/

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."

Last edited by MachRc; 03-09-2011 at 10:49 AM.
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
clt330ci

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
I would go s54 all day anyways but I found a really good deal on the s52.. But I have been leaning more towards the s54 motor, tranny, rear end swap anyways.: That's jus expensive.. But totally worth it
clt330ci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330ci swap, m54, s52