E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
Grubby

My Ride: 330xi
DIY Crack Repair?

*Mods, please delete, I moved this to General, thanks*

Lovely. Too bad if I have to replace the entire bumper, is there any way I can clean up a crack like this, or am I going to have to get a replacement cover from Pelican? I managed to find everything else here (great picture guides for everything!) on my to-do list for spring as I hit 100k - moonroof shade repair, filters, control arms, maybe springs and shocks, plugs, coolant, fuel filter are all on deck.

Last edited by Grubby; 03-09-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: holy resize, batman
Grubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Again, not really XI content- will get more views/responses/feedback in the General Forum.

Yeah, you can fix that. I'm not sure what you'd use. I'd probably throw some tape over it in the meantime so it doesn't crack more.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Grubby

Thanks, I'll move it over there.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
kaboo0m

My Ride: 04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to kaboo0m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
*Mods, please delete, I moved this to General, thanks*

Lovely. Too bad if I have to replace the entire bumper, is there any way I can clean up a crack like this, or am I going to have to get a replacement cover from Pelican? I managed to find everything else here (great picture guides for everything!) on my to-do list for spring as I hit 100k - moonroof shade repair, filters, control arms, maybe springs and shocks, plugs, coolant, fuel filter are all on deck.
you can repair it, but you have to repaint it regardless. I would just jbweld it, sand it smooth and do a spot paint instead of having the whole bumper resprayed
kaboo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
Grubby

Would you recommend JB Weld over Bondo?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
Would you recommend JB Weld over Bondo?
Hell no don't use either. Get a dremel make a nice V shaped groove along the crack. Use Universal Ribbon (plastic welding band) you can pick up a plastic welder cheap. Start filling in the void you just made go slow with just enough heat to move the plastic around. After that wet sand with like 2k+ If that plastic gets too hot from the friction of sanding it will ball up. Kinda like you would expect it to. After that clean it up toss some thick coats of primer resand, put down another coat of primer. wet sand, color coat, wet sand clear, wet sand/buff done! do not use bondo it's not made for that if anything use a plastic fill putty. I've already told you how it should be repaired If you have a metallic paint steps will be a lil different
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
daz415

My Ride: BMW 330i
Send a message via MSN to daz415
since your gonna notch it, drill a small hole at the end of the crack. this will keep the crack from propagating after your repair. your gonna fill it anyway so you need to take precautions from allowing this to crack again.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:03 AM   #8
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
just take it to a shop. $100 max

as for control arms, i dont think xi's would need them to be replaced, unless theyre already damaged somehow. the control arm problem seems to be for the RWD models mainly.

how about checking your valve cover gasket for leaks and replacing that if needed?

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote