E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
Peake code (19) 76 no noticeable issues

what does it mean?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
franz

Anybody? I still have this code, it will not clear.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
jmejia4

My Ride: 330i
same problem, replaced the ccv, throttle body, lower intake boot, disa valve, camshaft position sensor and still no luck also getting the CC code from the the same table. was gonna try the ICV next and then the MAF last since it's kinda expensive :-(
Have you tried any thing as far a repairs???
jmejia4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
deadpass

My Ride: 01 330i
my peake manual is in the car, what is the 19-76 code?
Old 04-29-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
jmejia4

76-throttle position sensor 1, plausibility, range, or performance
CC-idle control system, idle speed not plausible

Thanks
Old 05-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
jmejia4

update, so i think I'm a little on the slow side, after repeated checking and rechecking the code reader, and "knowing" my code was 76, it turns out my code is 7B, which is the thermostat. the B looks like a six on the reader, but is actually b. hopes this helps.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
Drizzles

My Ride: 1999 BMW 318i E46 4D
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmejia4 View Post
update, so i think I'm a little on the slow side, after repeated checking and rechecking the code reader, and "knowing" my code was 76, it turns out my code is 7B, which is the thermostat. the B looks like a six on the reader, but is actually b. hopes this helps.

Well that's an expensive lesson to learn
Old 03-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
Mizar

My Ride: 325it ESS TX-2
Can't Read a Code Reader, ehh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmejia4 View Post
Ha! Take heart! I think you are not the only one unable to read his Peake code reader. My MIL came on yesterday, too, and I just sat down to research the mysterious 76 code about the throttle position sensor... Hmm, since I already have an A8 (Peake code, not Audi) - thermostat jammed open - I think I could actually also have misread the code reader... Sneaking out to the garage now..
Old 03-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
Mizar

My Ride: 325it ESS TX-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizar View Post
Ha! Take heart! I think you are not the only one unable to read his Peake code reader. My MIL came on yesterday, too, and I just sat down to research the mysterious 76 code about the throttle position sensor... Hmm, since I already have an A8 (Peake code, not Audi) - thermostat jammed open - I think I could actually also have misread the code reader... Sneaking out to the garage now..
Yepp, sure enough: 7b, not 76. Thanks for posting this, jmejia4. I would have started taking the car apart tomorrow, looking a for a throttle position sensor... I love this forum.

Stupid thermostat, though! Had replaced a flawlessly working one as part of a cooling system overhaul a few years back. "Preventive" maintenance...
Old 01-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #10
franz

Hmm, I revisited this as I still have 76 showing up, and I have a Zionsville thermostat...so...I have to double check if it's 76 or 7B and then try to understand how the aftermarket thermostat may be affecting the codes. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #11
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Isn't the Zionsville thermostat not electronically controlled, and just naturally opens and closes from coolant/engine temperature? If so, that would be exactly why you have the code.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #12
franz

I was just going to come back and edit this, I remember when I installed it years ago and had forgotten the details. Thank you!!!
I don't drive this car enough, it's becoming a track queen.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #13
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Get your car warmed up and tell us what temperature it's running at. It should be 93-95C while cruising and idling. Below that means your thermostat is not working right. You should get a Wahler or Behr thermostat. It should also take no more than 5 minutes of driving to go from the blue to the middle on the gauge (in reasonable weather, 50-60F).

If you have this thermostat:

http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/s...54ALUTHERM.htm

get rid of it ASAP. These things cause nothing but problems.

Quote:
Based on design changes to the M54, we infer that the problem is peak operating temperature that is too high
This is wrong. The problem isn't high operating temperature, it is old, fatigued plastic. Get a Wahler ASAP and this code will go away I bet. Also, as stated earlier in this thread, you probably have code 7b. Multiple members will back me up when I say that the aluminum thermostats (and other aftermarket brands) are nothing but trouble.

Last edited by WDE46; 01-14-2013 at 09:08 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #14
franz

I will be keeping the Zionsville. I don't have the all aluminum one, it's this one:

http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/s...de/M54CTPK.htm

I have their radiator as well, and have had zero issues for the past 3 years.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by franz View Post
I will be keeping the Zionsville. I don't have the all aluminum one, it's this one:

http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/s...de/M54CTPK.htm

I have their radiator as well, and have had zero issues for the past 3 years.
Fine, but what's the operating temperature?

There's no reason to get this $200 T-stat that changes parameters. You can buy 4 Wahlers for that price. That's at least 30 years worth of thermostats...
Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #16
franz

I don't know, I am not driving the car today. It's always in the normal range on the gage. As for the money part I had found the original one to be unreliable, it was replaced at 60k and needed to be replaced again at 100k or so, that's when I put in the Zionsville one. That was 3 years ago so the money is not an issue at this point, it's all water under the bridge, a sunk cost now.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #17
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by franz View Post
I don't know, I am not driving the car today. It's always in the normal range on the gage. As for the money part I had found the original one to be unreliable, it was replaced at 60k and needed to be replaced again at 100k or so, that's when I put in the Zionsville one. That was 3 years ago so the money is not an issue at this point, it's all water under the bridge, a sunk cost now.
That's fine.

The gauge will stay centered b/w roughly 78C-105C, so you could be running cold with it in the center. Mine did this.