E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
jbost002

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
Wheels, Tires, Suspension OH MY!

Time for a suspension and wheel upgrade. I've been doing some research, and I think that I have narrowed down the list to something pretty manageable. Looking for some good feedback here on a couple of key decisions, primarily relating to the suspension.

First off, here is what I want to achieve:

1) Lowering the car, but not slammed. I want to eliminate the "wheel gap"
2) OEM-quality ride (or close - I purchased the car at 60k miles, now at 95k. Not sure if I ever truly experienced the BMW comfort at 60k on OEM shocks). This is a daily driver, and I drive 45 minutes to/from work each way, five days a week. I don't want to be beat up!
3) Minimal road noise and no long term issues (i.e., rubbing)

Second, here is what I am looking at purchasing:

1) 18" or 19" e9X M3 Style 220 wheels (unsure of size here, depends on how it affects the ride comfort and road noise)
2) All-season tires (it snows in VA! - unsure of the size)
3) H&R Cup Kit (Touring or Sport, depends on how it affects the ride comfort and road noise)

SO, my questions for you are as follows:

1) What should come first, the suspension or the wheels/tires?
2) Would the above combination still offer good comfort and minimal road noise? Is one preferable over the other?
3) I'd imagine that at 95k, my shocks are about due for replacement as well. What else should be replaced at this time?
4) Am I virtually guaranteed to rub with the more aggressive combinations above?

Just looking for suggestions here...my inclination is to go with 19" and the Sport Cup Kit...however, I fear that I will sacrifice ride comfort and am concerned about rubbing. What do you think?

Read about my "pure" e46 here.
Flickr pic set

WTB: 18" or 19" CSL replica wheels including tires - PM ME!!
jbost002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
jbost002

Forgot to mention, price is a VERY important factor for the suspension. I don't want to spend any more on the suspension than what the H&R Cup Kit would cost.

Flickr pic set

Old 03-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
jbost002

Little more research has revealed the Eibach Pro-System Kit to me, and it seems as though this may be a better option for what I am trying to achieve.

What do you think about this kit paired with the 18s?

Flickr pic set

Old 03-23-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
dkuchta

My Ride: 325cic
I'll First start out by saying I have not lowered a bmw yet. However my last 4 cars I have all dropped using eibach and konis of the like.

with your expectations and requirements for ride and cost, I would suggest the H&R Cup Kit Touring. I have read just about every forum for the past 2 years that I have owned my convertible. I ended up buying the H&R Cup Sport because, It was $200 cheaper(price mix up) and Its my weekend car. My daily is on a 2" drop from eibach sportline and konis, I druve maybe 110 miles a day 5 days a week.. In and out of Baltimore- bad roads.. IT sucks sometimes but you get use to it, HOWEVER passengers hate riding in the car unless im on a good highway or smooth back road.

Soo suggestions:
H&R Cup Kit Touring, 18" wheels, the suspension ALLWAYS comes first!! Larger wheels with stock suspension you will not only look dumb, but the ride will be more sloppy. I threw wheels on my BMW with stock suspension, it lasted a day, they are sitting until I put the springs on.

Ok, I am done, Id suggest spend a good night reading every forum you can.

Good Luck
dkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote