E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #201
ideal_vx6

My Ride: 2.8L
Send a message via AIM to ideal_vx6
just.. read.. entire.. thread....

ideal_vx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #202
shm21284

My Ride: 323Ci
Has anyone done a pictorial comparison of the M54b25 and m54tub30 manifold? I found Horny's pictures on the bimmer forums of the m52 vs m54b30 manifolds, that was helpful.
shm21284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #203
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
.you can pass emissions with a eurotune.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
No.

You may pass inspection(which can vary depending on your state) but you will NEVER pass emissions if you dont have catalytic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice2003 View Post
Oh, sweet, I was wondering if anyone had EGR block off plates. We would get an SES light, I assume?
Depending on which car you have. If you drive a pre'03 with an old model EGR you shuldnt get any SES CEL lights, as there are no connectors on the EGR and no sensors.

If you drive a post '03 you should have the newer version EGR which has a mass airflow meter in it and a secondary filter(the most stupidest thing I've seen in any BMW, anyway) then yes, you should get check engine light.

If you dont have catless headers, dont bother removing EGR, if you do, go ahead.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #204
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
No.

You may pass inspection(which can vary depending on your state) but you will NEVER pass emissions if you dont have catalytic.
EGR ? As in Exhaust gas recirculation ?
I havent seen one on any e46, i dont think the plastic intake manifold would like it :O

Anyway euro's have the same tunes as US , it's just the settings that differ (ie corner light, seatbelt ding , farenheit, mph etc)

Like Blocked Out said no tune whatsoever will help you pass emissions without cats.
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #205
shm21284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
I havent seen one on any e46, i dont think the plastic intake manifold would like it :O

Anyway euro's have the same tunes as US , it's just the settings that differ (ie corner light, seatbelt ding , farenheit, mph etc)

Like Blocked Out said no tune whatsoever will help you pass emissions without cats.
I believe it has been done before, but not easily. And your engine will run like total ****. Think ultra lean mixture and super hot exhaust. It is a momentary pass, nonetheless.

Last edited by shm21284; 05-24-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #206
Blocked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post

Well BMW has a different name for it as well. I think your car was excluded from this, due to location.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...03&hg=11&fg=45

Pre 2003 Airpump

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...88&hg=11&fg=50

post 2003 Airpump

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...15&hg=11&fg=50

IMG_1725

Last edited by Blocked Out; 05-24-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #207
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Depending on which car you have. If you drive a pre'03 with an old model EGR you shuldnt get any SES CEL lights, as there are no connectors on the EGR and no sensors.

If you drive a post '03 you should have the newer version EGR which has a mass airflow meter in it and a secondary filter(the most stupidest thing I've seen in any BMW, anyway) then yes, you should get check engine light.

If you dont have catless headers, dont bother removing EGR, if you do, go ahead.
The M54 doesn't have an EGR valve. They utilize internal EGR courtesy of crafty double vanos timing. The MAF and filter you are referring to in the 03+ cars is associated with secondary air injection used during cold starts to help bring the cats up to operating temp.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #208
ice2003

My Ride: 02 330ci ZSP,ZPP,ZCW
Quote:
No.

You sure about this? I used to drive a 3000GT and all of us who removed the EGR got CEL despite no sensors, etc. It was a 97. I don't have headers yet, but I always like to remove the EGR.
ice2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #209
Blocked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
The M54 doesn't have an EGR valve. They utilize internal EGR courtesy of crafty double vanos timing. The MAF and filter you are referring to in the 03+ cars is associated with secondary air injection used during cold starts to help bring the cats up to operating temp.
You're right, mixed them up a bit there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice2003 View Post
You sure about this? I used to drive a 3000GT and all of us who removed the EGR got CEL despite no sensors, etc. It was a 97. I don't have headers yet, but I always like to remove the EGR.
I navent tried it myself as I dont have a pre'03 car anymore. Just try and see, you can always put it back.

IMG_1725
Old 05-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #210
shm21284

The throttle body adapter is finished, the heat shield for the headers is done, the intake manifold's parts are swapped - fuel rail and EGR stuff - probably didn't need the EGR stuff, but I didn't feel like researching how to properly remove that stuff, didnt feel like making more block off plates, and didnt feel like piling up more work, so I'm running the EGR for now. I can remove that crap later.

I did get the B30 intake manifold, or what appears to be a B30 intake manifold (I'm not sure how to tell the difference between an M54B30 and M54B25 manifold), but it didn't come with a DISA valve, and I'm having trouble finding a used on on the internet. My BMW parts guy said he could get me one for $180 new, so I might have to bite the bullet and do that.

The new rear main seal on the engine is installed, underdrive pulleys are installed, new coolant hoses for the heater core are in (the ones covered by the intake manifold), the new oil line for the VANOS solenoid is in, the clutch and flywheel installed, the trans has new front and rear seals and the shifter bushings have all been replaced. I'm HOPING (as I work at a snail's pace in the 100+ degree heat inside the shop) that I can get the car running this weekend. But I honestly doubt that with my track record. The entire engine wiring harness needs to be fitted back up and the trans still needs to go in. Also, I want to install the new diff (just a 3.46:1 unit) before I get the car back on the road, and it needs new bushings. I only ordered the rear bushing for the diff in hopes that solves the clunk (I really don't want to drop the entire subframe to replace the others - and I saw the write up on how to replace them w/o dropping the sub frame but I have access to a big press and don't like taking bushings out on my back). I will likely wait to throw those in when I do suspension work to the car, which is a little further down the road, after my bank account recovers from this recent shopping spree.

And, I still haven't decided on a tune yet. I'm leaning towards AA re-flash, since it does include 1 re-tune (I will monitor AFR), and I have been too lazy to see if anyone can custom tune around these parts.

Seth
Old 05-31-2011, 08:16 PM   #211
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
DISAs are hard to find in good condition. I'd pay the $180 for a new, uprated B30 DISA. Any issues with the failing flap and bent valves from chunks of metal entering the head will be avoided.

Great update, Seth! Any pics of your adapter plate?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:50 PM   #212
Blocked Out

Hew DISA can be had for 160 shipped, from BMWPartscource , they;re a sponsor here. PM Patrick and ask for details.

If you need a used one, I have 2 of them all in perfect working order and can sell you one . If interested PM your offer.

DISA pin can NOT fall into the intake manifold when the DISA is installed, its simply impossible. Why? well because the pin is pressed against the inside of the intake wall and is sitting in its little pocket there. SO its pinned between the DISA bracket and the inside wall of the intake mani, there is virtually no space between them. All those stories you hear of pins failing are from clumsy people who drop them in there upon removal .

IMG_1725
Old 05-31-2011, 11:57 PM   #213
shm21284

I did not get pics of the adaptor plate. It looks home made haha. It is just a simple square with 9 holes in it... 4 for my tb, 4 for the intake, and 1 for the flow path. This cool girl I know did the measurements and fitment on it... cool girl, huh?

I would consider making a CAD model and having them waterjet cut if there was a demand, these things are much more hands off than a set of headers.

Sent from my DROID2 using Bimmer App
Old 06-01-2011, 03:44 AM   #214
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by shm21284 View Post
I did not get pics of the adaptor plate. It looks home made haha. It is just a simple square with 9 holes in it... 4 for my tb, 4 for the intake, and 1 for the flow path. This cool girl I know did the measurements and fitment on it... cool girl, huh?

I would consider making a CAD model and having them waterjet cut if there was a demand, these things are much more hands off than a set of headers.

Sent from my DROID2 using Bimmer App

do you have to modify your tb to make it fit like the turner kit?
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #215
breakfast

My Ride: bmw
awesome thread and header build. always love custom jobs. sure its a lot of man hours but so what?

instead of playing angry birds hes making a header.

did you happen to take a picture of the ebay header collector? id love to see inside there

there also seems to be a couple variations on the ebay headers themselves(not the differences pointed out among the models in that other thread) but if you take careful notice there seems to be two versions. you can typically tell from the flange and loop from the number 6 primary. the ones the OP got seem to be the cheaper/ones people have more issues with.

Here are the better fitting ones (from what ive seen)

notice the flange is different and the number 6 primary takes a wider sweep into the collector (which holds more true to the supersprint design) compared to the one the OP got.
I think the o2 sensor positions may ever so slightly be different.

There could be some slight differences on the first bank section but its harder to tell/nothing immediately jumps out at me.

just something I noticed while ebay header hunting.

The never version with the cast flange(one op got) has obviously had some minor changes(likely to cut cost of production) and its wreaking havoc for everyone who gets one.

Last edited by breakfast; 06-01-2011 at 02:06 PM.
breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #216
shm21284

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
do you have to modify your tb to make it fit like the turner kit?
How do you have to modify it?
Old 06-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #217
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Quote:
How do you have to modify it?
Turner plate requires that you grind back one of the bolt holes to clear the ICV on the b30 manifold. I'm sure you left yours intact and had it sit lower to clear the ICV.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #218
richl1969

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Quote:
And, I still haven't decided on a tune yet. I'm leaning towards AA re-flash, since it does include 1 re-tune (I will monitor AFR), and I have been too lazy to see if anyone can custom tune around these parts.

Seth
Seth, I too have a 2000 323ci and have done the following mods:
*Headers- bought from a fanatic which I think were ebay headers. I used VT Ceramic Coating and they still look perfect after several months of use. O2 sensor removal caused CEL to always be on.
*CAI- removed driver side brake vent and ran tube from MAF down to a oiled cone filter located where vent tube was. Sits right below the driver foglight. I made two brackets for stability.
*SAP removal- removed the pump & made block-off bracket to cover hole. Plugged vacuum line.
*VANOS- did the Beisan valve seal solution
*Mechanical to electrical fan swap- found a Behr oem replacement on ebay which was a perfect fit. Wired right up no modification necessary.
*Euro tune on ECU & EGS- used winkfp and zusb #7528738 to update ECU & zusb #1423676 for trans. After doing the flash make sure to reset adaptations! Car ran very lethargic until I did this reset. I used INPA but I think there are other programs that will do the same thing.

I can provide forum links on where to find the software and directions on setting it up if anyone is interested.

With the Euro 2 flash on DME the CEL light is not on anymore, I 'think' rev limiter and top speed are increased. The engine seems to rev smoother but I haven't had a chance to take it out for a good ride. I just figured out how to reset adaptations today and up to that point was disappointed with the flash performance-wise but happy the cel was out. After the reset the difference was night & day!
The reason I did the transmission flash to Euro was- well, honestly, just because I figured out how to do it and had to f with it to see what happens. I just did this update today and reset the tranny adaptations as well although INPA threw an error regarding CAN bus or something but I think the reset worked anyway. When I was done I checked codes with my peake code reader and was getting a d9 CAN timeout error egs1 but I reset codes and it hasn't come back. The only odd thing that caught my attention today was on a steep downhill grade the trans shifted down by itself which it has never done at that spot before. I'll have to monitor that in the future.

Anyways hope that helps you a little. -Rich
richl1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #219
shm21284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
Turner plate requires that you grind back one of the bolt holes to clear the ICV on the b30 manifold. I'm sure you left yours intact and had it sit lower to clear the ICV.
I put mine as low as possible without the flowpath being obstructed. I still had to "tap" the throttle body with a belt sander to make it clear, but i did not remove much material at all. I felt this was better than the flowpath being obstructed by the throttle body flange on the intake manifold. I am not sure how much more room there is.

Does the turner plate use all 4 bolt holes?

Seth
Old 06-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #220
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
I put mine as low as possible without the flowpath being obstructed. I still had to "tap" the throttle body with a belt sander to make it clear, but i did not remove much material at all. I felt this was better than the flowpath being obstructed by the throttle body flange on the intake manifold. I am not sure how much more room there is.

Does the turner plate use all 4 bolt holes?

Seth
the new design plate that i have uses all four
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote