E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
sbelo

My Ride: 2004 bmw 325xi
hid question

i have a 04 e46 xi and if i have a 35w 8k hids and i want to put on yellow tints would the heat from the hids melt the film?
sbelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
Gottalovethexi

My Ride: 03 xi & 72 Bav
Send a message via AIM to Gottalovethexi
nah, you should be good

or just buy 3000k bulbs for dirt cheap (probably cheaper than the lamin-x film) and swap 'em out when you get tired of the look lol

Last edited by Gottalovethexi; 01-06-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Gottalovethexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:05 AM   #3
infinite012

My Ride: White '08 STI
It won't melt the film, but be prepared to have a [slightly] worse output. I say slightly because you're already hurting yourself with those 8000K bulbs.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:22 AM   #4
cardsfan007

My Ride: 2002 330xi
along these same lines, i have been looking at getting hid's for my fogs. i think i want 35w 6000k (thats what my xenons and angel eyes are so want to match). but what company is good, i have looked at ddmtuning and a couple other places. i have an 02' with the smaller fogs and was wondering if this would also be a problem with the heat in that small of an area. (sorry not trying to hijack the thread)
cardsfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
Mark M

My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
Can someone please enlighten me as to why functionally you would need HID fog lights?

Personally, with normal HID low beams, I find fog lights are uselss because the HID low beams provide ample light. I'd even go so far as to say that HID low beams make the need for fog lights obsolete.

Now if it is just a fashion thing for you or you wish to burn the retnas of oncoming drivers....then carry on.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
cardsfan007

My Ride: 2002 330xi
there are many times when fogs come in very handy, ie snow, fog, etc. also, i find when driving down residential streets late at night the fogs put more light to the side so i can see if animals and such are coming (i live in an area that has a really bad deer problem) so thats the logic there. idk if you have ever driven in bad fog but you can only run fogs. same with snow
cardsfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #7
Je357

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Can someone please enlighten me as to why functionally you would need HID fog lights?

Personally, with normal HID low beams, I find fog lights are uselss because the HID low beams provide ample light. I'd even go so far as to say that HID low beams make the need for fog lights obsolete.

Now if it is just a fashion thing for you or you wish to burn the retnas of oncoming drivers....then carry on.
You probably dont have the fog light option on your whip. Lol
Je357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Can someone please enlighten me as to why functionally you would need HID fog lights?... Now if it is just a fashion thing for you or you wish to burn the retinas of oncoming drivers....then carry on.
Okay, let's look at this. Fog lights are aimed low to wash brightly on the immediate road surface basically 20' out in front. When in dense fog your HID low-beams will scatter and diffuse their light beams into a mess where the center line is hard to define. Properly focused fogs (HID or quartz) will not affect oncoming drivers when on. The early gen were yellow for better penetration or something? Most are white now and HID fogs have increased surface illumination so would be a bonus.

Driving lights are long range high-beams for lighting up the road. These will indeed annoy on-coming drivers. My wife's MINI has factory fogs and dedicated driving lights which are both used quite often - by her. The fog and open country driving we experience in the northwest make these a nice option to have without burning any retinas.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 08-18-2014 at 09:31 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote