E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #41
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
@Kubica: Wow, those are some blown shocks! Thanks for the pictures and notations.

Did those E36 M3 rear shocks come with those bump stops?

They definitely look heavier duty than the regular non-M one.
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #42
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
Did those E36 M3 rear shocks come with those bump stops?

They definitely look heavier duty than the regular non-M one.
Yes. Bump stops included. Just drop the lower cup, RSM, and upper cup on, and secure with included nut. I still need to confirm that it's correct not to transfer the tiny washer used below the lower cup on the OEM and HD setups.
Kubica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #43
Tele

My Ride: E46 330XIT MTech II
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferngreen 325xi View Post
BMW's shock geometry causes undo strain on the shock tower area, therefore causing the seal in the upper shock portion to leak.
What do you/they mean by "undo strain"?
Tele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #44
ega2081

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ega2081 View Post
I had the HR sports and Bilstein sports all ready to go on my 330xi. Read this post, drove to BAV AUTO and exchanged the Bilstein sports for the the E36 M-3 shocks and picked up some new mounts as well. It will be all done on Monday, hopefully along with new front axles.

This is all new suspension for me, so I want be able to compare, however I will keep everyone updated on how they are performing in general. Ill post some before and after pics as well.

Called Sharkman right up and chatted about this set up. I feel better about the purchase and I think the extra money for the M3 rears will pay off.

Im thinking this "experimental" shock they are talking about is probably the M3 shock, unless he said otherwise?
Well they are on, doesn't look low as I expected, but hopefully that will change when it settles some. Ill post pics soon and give everyone updates. Havent driven it yet....
ega2081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #45
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
kubica, any updates on the ride quality of the rear shocks? I got my replacement rear shock and haven't installed yet. Curious if i should just call Keith and get the e36m3 ones instead.

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #46
pjaneiro

My Ride: 2004 330IX
Just spoke with Bilstein, they are sending me a set of m3 ones in exchange for my old ones. they are aware of the issues with the hd ones, but still keep selling them...oh well, i'll keep you guys posted when i get them
pjaneiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #47
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
kubica, any updates on the ride quality of the rear shocks? I got my replacement rear shock and haven't installed yet. Curious if i should just call Keith and get the e36m3 ones instead.
Ride quality is good, possibly a tad better. Now that I have these on, I think the HDs may have been slightly over-dampening the rear. It's a tough feeling to describe- they are still nice and firm, but they seem a bit more supple than the HDs. They are firm, just maybe not as taught as the HDs. This may have something to do with the decrease in extended length on the M3 rears.

Tough call what to do- the M3 rears are about twice the price as xi rears.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #48
wdeerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Ride quality is good, possibly a tad better. Now that I have these on, I think the HDs may have been slightly over-dampening the rear. It's a tough feeling to describe- they are still nice and firm, but they seem a bit more supple than the HDs. They are firm, just maybe not as taught as the HDs. This may have something to do with the decrease in extended length on the M3 rears.

Tough call what to do- the M3 rears are about twice the price as xi rears.
Thanks for the update. Yea i saw that the price on the m3s were at 130 vs 70. Ill probably just put these on and warranty as i need since its lifetime.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #49
genuity

Kubica & Sharkman: Are both of you still running the 15mm upper spring pads in the rear? Also what springs are being used with this E36 M3 setup, factory sport springs?
Old 04-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #50
SharkmanBMW

My Ride: 03 330xi, 4th bimmer
Send a message via MSN to SharkmanBMW
H&R, yes, 15mm pad.
I assume if you want the rear a bit lower, you could swap it for the thin one.

In my car, the M3 shocks changed it from unpleasant to drive on bad roads to "normal BMW" feel. It is te feel I have come to expect from my bimmers.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #51
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
Kubica & Sharkman: Are both of you still running the 15mm upper spring pads in the rear? Also what springs are being used with this E36 M3 setup, factory sport springs?
I'm on stock springs with factory springs pads, but that doesn't matter- I'll explain. In the rear, we have a shock/spring setup (obviously). So the car actually sits on the springs- the shocks really don't have anything to do with the ride height. When a bump forces the wheel up, it compresses the spring, and the shock is there to get the spring back to it's uncompressed height without oscillating up and down.

When you have the car in the air, the length of the fully extended shocks will determine how far the rear wheels drop, but don't figure into the static ride height.

Say you have stock shocks and some really, really low springs- if you did some WRC style rallying jumps, the rear springs could literally fall right out of their perches. Same with the front springs- but they'd just rotate around the strut. That's why Bilstein makes the shorter "Sport" model shocks, so the rear wheels don't drop as much when they become unloaded. Prior to speaking with Keith at Bilstein, I had incorrectly assumed the height difference between Sport vs. HD was to better zero in on the dampening sweet spot of the shock. It seems like the Bilstein Sports are the answer to the question none of us had. There's not really going to be a discernible difference between the two models paired with stock, Eibach, or H&R springs.

I don't have access to the Bilstein Sports to measure, but Keith mentioned they are 20mm shorter than the HD model. That puts the height of the e36 M3 shocks exactly halfway between the height of the Sports and HDs.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #52
genuity

Quote:
So the car actually sits on the springs- the shocks really don't have anything to do with the ride height..
I know all too well about this...after removing my original Sachs shocks at 106k (with one leaking and one without leaks), they were both shot. You can compress them with one hand and it takes forever to expand to full length (if at all), so all this time I have been riding purely on springs. I am wondering how trashed the front struts are...I guess I will find out soon enough

Quote:
It seems like the Bilstein Sports are the answer to the question none of us had. There's not really going to be a discernible difference between the two models paired with stock, Eibach, or H&R springs.
This is good to know. I just read about some people using "lowering" springs where the rear looked too low, so they upgraded to the 15mm upper spring pads. At first I bought two factory sport springs, then quickly realized it was not cost efficient so I sold those off and got all four Eibach pro kits, after reading up on how H&R are a bit more harsher ride. The drop on those is supposedly more by specs. I am not looking for any drops, considering the ride height of the back on pure springs is short enough...still do not know about the front, but it is really low enough. My 3.5 ton floor jack (Arcan XL35 barely makes it under both front factory jack pads). I am also not looking for the "raked" look.

Quote:
I don't have access to the Bilstein Sports to measure, but Keith mentioned they are 20mm shorter than the HD model. That puts the height of the e36 M3 shocks exactly halfway between the height of the Sports and HDs.
Bilstein Sports (BE3-2698) are slightly over 26" end to end. I made sure I got a measurement before I sent it off. I should be getting the E36 M3 ones later this week
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BE3-2698_Bilstein-Sports-Top.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	400967   Click image for larger version

Name:	BE3-2698_Bilstein-Sports-Bottom.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	400968  

Last edited by genuity; 04-19-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:20 AM   #53
Tele

My Ride: E46 330XIT MTech II
As I've posted before;
I'm on my third set of blown rear Bilstein shocks in two years... but last night I was feed up with the "clunking" noise from the back, so I installed some used M3 E46 dampers till I get my KW's.
Works like a charm!
Tele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #54
SharkmanBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele View Post
As I've posted before;
I'm on my third set of blown rear Bilstein shocks in two years... but last night I was feed up with the "clunking" noise from the back, so I installed some used M3 E46 dampers till I get my KW's.
Works like a charm!
If you installed E46 M3 shocks and it works as you say, then I would suspect the E36 M3 & the E46 M3 shocks are the same, but they ship us the E36 simply because it is older & less likely they will sell them. Less of a hit on Bilstein financially & inventory wise. Just a guess LOL
Old 04-22-2011, 07:45 AM   #55
wdeerfield

new rear sport shock installed. No more clunks....for now. the old one lasted 10k, lets see how this one does. The ride is so much better now, no more harshness.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #56
ega2081

Quote:
Well they are on, doesn't look low as I expected, but hopefully that will change when it settles some. Ill post pics soon and give everyone updates. Havent driven it yet....
Here it is....... I haven't driven it much, still more settling I hope. Drives real nice though!

Old 04-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #57
ega2081

Quote:
Here it is....... I haven't driven it much, still more settling I hope. Drives real nice though!

Old 04-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #58
SharkmanBMW

Looks great, wheel gap looks good, the front looks a tiny bit higher than mine, but not much. Could be that the 18" wheels that give that effect, I have 17".
Sweet looking ride
Old 04-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #59
ega2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkmanBMW View Post
Looks great, wheel gap looks good, the front looks a tiny bit higher than mine, but not much. Could be that the 18" wheels that give that effect, I have 17".
Sweet looking ride
Thanks Man! I'm hoping the front will settle a little more....Just a tad bit
Old 04-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #60
karatechop5000

My Ride: 03 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkmanBMW View Post
The 330Xi part is "36mm", these M3 shocks are 46mm, will that even fit?! Same length?! (I can't find specs)
So, is the stock M3 rear shock the same length as the e46 xi rear? I got that the additional width was OK; and the length was OK with lowered suspension. I could break my "no mods" rule for M3 parts.

Last edited by karatechop5000; 04-24-2011 at 10:16 PM.
karatechop5000 is offline   Reply With Quote