E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #81
Tele

My Ride: E46 330XIT MTech II
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
when you are talking about "boots" you mean the dust cover that is help by the bump stop right? My bilsteins didn't come with a rubber boot or anything that seals the shock.
This is true, but you have to re-use the plastic seal from your old dampers.
See part nr. 17 in the picture on my replay a few posts up.

Just got my KW Variant 1 Coilovers...!
And I have to say they look beefier and come complete with "boots"

[IMG][/IMG]
Tele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #82
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
sweet on the kw's

in reference to the rear shock tube. all i have is the protection tube which is just a plastic sleeve that loosely covers the shock shaft.

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #83
OffCourse

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele View Post
A brave soul here No you are quite right sir!
The boot is important.
I used the boot on all three Bilstein dampers, yes the same one but I cleaned it before install every time.
Oh great, now I'm going to be looking under the rear every night, waiting for these to pop. At least they're easy to change...
OffCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #84
OffCourse

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
when you are talking about "boots" you mean the dust cover that is help by the bump stop right? My bilsteins didn't come with a rubber boot or anything that seals the shock.
Yeah, boots, dust shields, whatever you got, my point is you just gotta have those shafts covered up or any shocks will be toast in no time. When I replaced my original Sachs with Bilstein HDs, I bought new boots and bump stops (old bumps were disintegrating and boots were cracked). They're dirt cheap.

I usually get parts at bmwmercedesparts.com; great prices, they usually beat everyone if you're looking for OEM, and their shipping prices are surprisingly good.

And not to get off subject here, but if you want genuine BMW motor oil, they sell it for about $4 a quart which is just ridiculous considering that my local BMW stealership sells it for $11.95/qt.!! No joke.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #85
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffCourse View Post
I usually get parts at bmwmercedesparts.com; great prices, they usually beat everyone if you're looking for OEM, and their shipping prices are surprisingly good.
Yeah, if you like not being able to see the status of the parts on your order, no shipping confirmation, and no tracking number. Shipping prices are quite low and no handling fee which is a plus though. From receiving parts to shipping out your order, it typically takes twice as long as the next competitor.

For slightly like a couple bucks more but way better service, try ebmwparts.com. This is run by Peabody BMW of MA. You get a human order acknowledgement, ETA for parts and shipping, shipping confirmation and tracking. Shipping is usually about $10 without handling fee B.S. like from some other established nationwide stealerships on here.
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #86
OffCourse

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
Yeah, if you like not being able to see the status of the parts on your order, no shipping confirmation, and no tracking number. Shipping prices are quite low and no handling fee which is a plus though. From receiving parts to shipping out your order, it typically takes twice as long as the next competitor.
^ good point; spot-on. I'll check out ebmwparts on my next order.

Tele, on those rear shock dust covers, what are those depressions at the top? Are those holding bump stops inside?

Last edited by OffCourse; 05-10-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #87
Tele

My Ride: E46 330XIT MTech II
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffCourse View Post
Tele, on those rear shock dust covers, what are those depressions at the top? Are those holding bump stops inside?
The indentation on top is for a metal cup, the bump stop is on the piston rod.
The piston rod is actually 15mm thick, and the damper is 51mm thick...!

[IMG][/IMG]
Tele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #88
Shred Sled

My Ride: 2004 325xit
Interesting that you're not riding on your front bumpstops also. The P/N for your bumpstops is the same as for my XI wagon. I had heard that Eibach made the spings for ACS, but cannot confirm. Although, if it is true, ACS probably has their own spring rates. I don't want to trim the bumpstops, but rather possibly install the shorter E36 bumpstops. I had purchased them at one point, but unfortunately sold them. With 70K+ mi on my Konis sports, maybe it's time to look at another set or switch to Bilstein sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerheart View Post
I have Eibach+Koni for my 330xi and I am using 31336752832. It's totally fine.
Shred Sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #89
pjaneiro

My Ride: 2004 330IX
OMFG !!! I just installed the M3 shocks, Yeah Yeah I took mt sweet ass time, but it's been raining here for the last decade, so there

Anyhow, first note, they are WAY stiffer than the HD'S, at the same time i helped a fellow install his, but they are also WAY shorter, hopefully this will not be an issue in the long run

Now for the good stuff, NEVER i mean NEVER has my rear end been so nice..."please insert remarks here" Seriously, after installing the hd's there was a net improvement than the stocks ones, I have the M sports performance chassis package so all my springs are the green sport ones, but now with the M3 ones, Hello !!! Damn,

Just hope this will last longer than 6 months

Last edited by pjaneiro; 05-23-2011 at 07:05 PM.
pjaneiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #90
SharkmanBMW

My Ride: 03 330xi, 4th bimmer
Send a message via MSN to SharkmanBMW
Sweet improvement, isn't it?!

I had my wheels off yesterday and there is NO visible leakage on the shock body, YAY!
Mine have been on for 2 months. Still trouble shooting some water leaking in around the rear shock mounts into the trunk, but the M3 shocks are feeling good.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #91
Itadienekes

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325xi
Can somebody pretty please point me to where I can buy those Bilstein E36 M3 Sport for my 2002 325xi? Part No.? I currently have HDs with H&R Springs, ride is clunky as hell, rear shocks are leaky, need to do this... Thanks!!
Itadienekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:45 AM   #92
SharkmanBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itadienekes View Post
Can somebody pretty please point me to where I can buy those Bilstein E36 M3 Sport for my 2002 325xi? Part No.? I currently have HDs with H&R Springs, ride is clunky as hell, rear shocks are leaky, need to do this... Thanks!!
Part number is in the first post of this thread, they can be purchased at any Bilstein dealer.
E36 M3 is what we have been sent under warranty, but if you are going to buy them, apparently the E46 M3 shock also fits.

BUT, if your HDs are leaking, call Bilstein and ask for warranty replacement/upgrade to M3 shocks.
Should be N/C

The M3 shocks are in the $125 range, double the price of the E46 HD or sport, so warranty is the way to go if possible
Old 05-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #93
Itadienekes

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkmanBMW View Post
Part number is in the first post of this thread, they can be purchased at any Bilstein dealer.
E36 M3 is what we have been sent under warranty, but if you are going to buy them, apparently the E46 M3 shock also fits.

BUT, if your HDs are leaking, call Bilstein and ask for warranty replacement/upgrade to M3 shocks.
Should be N/C

The M3 shocks are in the $125 range, double the price of the E46 HD or sport, so warranty is the way to go if possible
Dude, thanks!! I don't know how I missed the P/N in the first post. I read the whole thread and got excited. Anyway...

... my problem with Bilstein warranty is that I bought the car used with Bilsteins & H&Rs. It sounds like Bilstein warranty is not transfearable, and they want you to go through the shop who originally did the work / purchased the shocks from. I am in touch with the guy who sold me the car and he's cool about it, he'd take me to the shop and ask them to change the Bilsteins in his name. Problem is, I don't want the car to be out of commission for weeks. So I'd rather buy the E36 M3s online, do the swap myself, get the shocks warrantied by the seller, and sell em on eBay or sumthin.

Thanks for the input!!
Itadienekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #94
pjaneiro

My Ride: 2004 330IX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itadienekes View Post
Dude, thanks!! I don't know how I missed the P/N in the first post. I read the whole thread and got excited. Anyway...

... my problem with Bilstein warranty is that I bought the car used with Bilsteins & H&Rs. It sounds like Bilstein warranty is not transfearable, and they want you to go through the shop who originally did the work / purchased the shocks from. I am in touch with the guy who sold me the car and he's cool about it, he'd take me to the shop and ask them to change the Bilsteins in his name. Problem is, I don't want the car to be out of commission for weeks. So I'd rather buy the E36 M3s online, do the swap myself, get the shocks warrantied by the seller, and sell em on eBay or sumthin.

Thanks for the input!!
That is b/s the shop where the parts were purchased should be able to cover the parts and replace them on the spot, after that bilstein would re-imburse the shop for the parts he had to replace for you
pjaneiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #95
SharkmanBMW

Bilstein specifically told me:
If you don't have a proof of purchase, we will let it go, but
That may take some coaxing. But he did say not to worry (then I found my copy)
But their official rule is no bill, no warranty.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:30 PM   #96
pcdsl

My Ride: 2002 330xi
I just ordered my E36 Bilstein shocks to replace my blown ones (hopefully they will Warranty both, since only one is blown). Question: Did you guys have to do an alignment after putting on the new shocks?
pcdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #97
SharkmanBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdsl View Post
I just ordered my E36 Bilstein shocks to replace my blown ones (hopefully they will Warranty both, since only one is blown). Question: Did you guys have to do an alignment after putting on the new shocks?
No alignment required, but it is always a good thing to do
Good luck

I look forward to see if they do warranty both or just the one dud, please advise!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:16 AM   #98
pcdsl

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkmanBMW View Post
No alignment required, but it is always a good thing to do
Good luck

I look forward to see if they do warranty both or just the one dud, please advise!
haha thanks, I had to order through Tom from Essex. He said they will warranty the broken one for sure, but the other one they might... if not then I'm down $150. Which is kinda lame. I'll keep you posted.
pcdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:41 AM   #99
SharkmanBMW

I went direct to Bilstein because I bought from a local garage that went bust.
They sent me E46 sport 2 x, each time I swapped just one which is lame, but that was all they were willing to do.
The replacement leaked and when I did that check of the replacement, I saw the other original was leaking as well.

At that point they decided to send me the E36 M3. So far, so good and the ride feels much more like you would expect from a BMW.
You should replace rear shock mounts at the same time, they don't last that long.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #100
Sam 330ci

My Ride: 03 530i
Send a message via AIM to Sam 330ci
Hi Guys, I posted a thread over in the Suspension forum that you should take a look at:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=848963