* Official * Project Bike Thread - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #1
trizzuth

My Ride: 234k, 16yr old B3AST
* Official * Project Bike Thread

So here it is, any and all project bikes allowed in here, regardless of your end goal, BMX, Mountain, Road, Electric! Hybrid, Cyclocross, anything!

To start this off, I recently purchased a hydraulic disc brake, belt drive flat bar bike from Amazon, it made way too much f'n noise for something that was supposed to be super quiet, so I returned it.

Bought this baby instead, a Santa Cruz Tazmon 1, easily from around 1996-1998. Original MSRP around $2700, ebay SCORE shipped to me for a measly $211! Plans are to modify this into a killer dual suspension path bike that will make people cry as I motor past them on the path.

Bike is shipped and coming in June 23rd, then I will assess condition and post up some more pics.
1987 BMW 325 - gone at 238K
trizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
trizzuth

Adding JohnBlaze's tire recommendations here so I don't lose them because they are so sick.

http://www.jensonusa.com/!NpvvpkF-jL...Q&SSAID=389818
Old 06-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
mods please merge to one of the bike threads we have....we don't need a seperate thread for op's stupid bike build...plus it's yellow. op probably grows non carnivorous plants at home.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:12 AM   #4
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
The official IDGAF about the other bike thread, thread.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:48 AM   #5
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
don't hate the player, hate the game.

MPOWER will be in here soon too with his 94 Stumpjumper he's converting into a gravel and off the beaten trail hype beast.

I'll probably convert my Titanium CX to a Flatbar bike soon, so once I get all the stuff needed I'll share it.

Project Pat for life!

05 ZHP w/Epic tuned s54, Euro headers&Sect.1, Dinan 3.91 and a lot of other things built by Road Race Technologies
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:11 PM   #6
trizzuth

Haterz be hatin on bikes, packing on the pounds while we all shed!

I also have another older Gary Fisher HooKooEeKoo frame with a Rock Shox fork that's been hanging in my garage for awhile acting as a parts bike which I rape every once in awhile. Might look into putting that together again for my son once he is a little older and it fits him better.

JBlaze - Michelin's on order from Amazon as they had them for a dollar or so cheaper!
Old 06-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #7
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Those Michelins look like a great all around tire.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #8
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
That's what I'm thinking and from the reviews I've read they live up to it. Says they roll incredibly well and are much much faster than a normal MTB tire (obviously), or even other similar tires. Perfect for me since my path goes about 4 miles or so and the last stretch is still an old rail trail that is unpaved, but still goes through the woods. I typically bomb through that on my MTB, but would really hesitate with anything that had slicker or thinner tires. Took that Belt Drive bike through there and I had to be super careful as there are a bunch of sharpish rocks.

These tires should be able to handle it with ease and any other semi-off-road biking I'd want to do. Pretty sure I picked up two green slime tubes awhile back at Walmart when I happened to pass by the bike section and they were on clearance, in 26" size. So I will check when I get home, but that should get me started here...

Plus, I really like the white michelin letters on the side, should compliment the bike nicely...
Old 06-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #9
JohnBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Brosef, You should definitely make that old StumpJumper into a Gravel/Adventure bike. You could even consider putting on some drop handlebars along with all around tires, maybe raise the bars up just a little or not. Aim for comfort first, you'll appreciate it when you push the limits off roading, but it really is the best way to ride IMO. I've done it all except for gnarly downhill and jumping.

Perhaps even your wife might want a swiss army bike too, and you can find an old 26 inch MTB to build up for her the same way. It's the next big thing in cycling btw, gravel fondo's and such. Most of my rides that are not just out and back on Strava are on varied surfaces and to state it again, I honestly believe it is the best way to bike, with a swiss army bike that can competently handle pretty much anything you throw at it with in reason of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
That's what I'm thinking and from the reviews I've read they live up to it. Says they roll incredibly well and are much much faster than a normal MTB tire (obviously), or even other similar tires. Perfect for me since my path goes about 4 miles or so and the last stretch is still an old rail trail that is unpaved, but still goes through the woods. I typically bomb through that on my MTB, but would really hesitate with anything that had slicker or thinner tires. Took that Belt Drive bike through there and I had to be super careful as there are a bunch of sharpish rocks.

These tires should be able to handle it with ease and any other semi-off-road biking I'd want to do. Pretty sure I picked up two green slime tubes awhile back at Walmart when I happened to pass by the bike section and they were on clearance, in 26" size. So I will check when I get home, but that should get me started here...

Plus, I really like the white michelin letters on the side, should compliment the bike nicely...
Nice, I'd never heard of those tires, but like I was mentioning earlier I connected with this guy on Strava after we saw each other on the street at the same place 2 days in a row. He was dipping on me, and I was pushing it. He was using these tires, and then after Strava Stalking him I asked him what the deal was with that old bike and he broke it down.

We'll have to get Xceleratr in here too. I love building out, upgrading, customizing stuff and this is a perfect thread for innovative cycling solutions.

05 ZHP w/Epic tuned s54, Euro headers&Sect.1, Dinan 3.91 and a lot of other things built by Road Race Technologies
Old 06-19-2017, 08:47 AM   #10
trizzuth

Help me out bike fanatics.

Looking into possible new wheelsets for my Santa Cruz project. Would like them to be both V brake and Disc compatible so I have options, and am not pigeonholed into one style vs the other. Right now the bike has V brakes, but I may look into replacing the fork in the future and if so, would want to toss a nice disc brake on there.

Goals: Want the wheels to be strong to deal with my weight and height. Prefer to maybe spend a little more to get something nicer, but not too too much. Somewhere between $100-200? Open to used, if true and good wheels and spokes.

Nashbar has 27% off today and I can get this set shipped to me for $104 (Includes quick release levers, but no rim tape, I can get rim tape for $2.49): http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/st...0052_200262_-1

Ebay has these DT Swiss ones that were custom made and their trueing process sounds amazing, $165 shipped (includes rim tape and quick release levers) :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/26-DT-Swiss-...wAAOSwFGNWTO2o

Any other hookups/options out there in this price range?
Old 06-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #11
trizzuth

P.S. I bought these for my Trek, and have been using them for a few years now, zero issues with trueing, zero issues with spokes, rolled great out of the box, and yes, made in China.

I can get this set shipped to me with the Nashbar 27% off for $74!!! Can't beat that price! But then I have no option for going disc in the front at a later point if I want.
http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/st...30_-1___204727

They have similar Vuelta's that are disc-specific, but then I cannot use rim brakes if I want, so they're out, as my rear setup on this bike will only be for V brake.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #12
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Are you just talking front disc or does the rear triangle have brake caliper mounting capabilities as well?

You need to be careful when doing that. I'm not sure but maybe the mounting holes in that fork or frame are only compatibly with an old disc brake set up that might not be available any longer. Do loads of research before purchasing.

Edit, just saw the rear V-brake only. Carry on.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat

Last edited by MP0WER; 06-19-2017 at 09:48 AM.
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #13
trizzuth

So I think I am jumping the gun here and will inspect bike when it comes.. seems Nashbar has these 25-30% off sales once a week now.. didn't want to lose out, but there are others on ebay.

Ultimately maybe I would like a disc front brake setup (but this will involve me replacing the fork, which I am not sure I want to do yet)... then rear would just be that weak old style V brake, not the good ones that pull linearly.

I did confirm your suspicion awhile back on my old gary fisher, the mounting points look similar for the cantilever vs Old style V brake, but it's just far enough off where both won't work on the same mounting holes.. Bike should be here soon, I will inspect carefully and then make decisions.. no need to rush.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:00 PM   #14
JohnBlaze

keep an eye out on JensonUSA, Competitive Cyclist, Performance Bike, Wiggle, Chain Reaction and others as well as Nashbar because you can snipe some serious deals if your stay on it.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:13 AM   #15
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
I used to have a project bike.

I still do, but I used to, too.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #16
JohnBlaze

post some pictures playboy

Old 06-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #17
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
I used to have a project bike.

I still do, but I used to, too.
love that guy
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:16 PM   #18
rdo1990

My Ride: 2000 328i
You ever consider an ebike project? I just finished my project hardtail bike to commute to work in Boston about 8 miles each way. With a rear hub motor and 52v 18650 cells, I can get approximately a 25 mile range round trip (peddle assisted) and speeds up to 39 mph peddle assisted (36 mph throttle only). I average 24 mph though because massholes. Total cost was about 1,200 for my 26" hardtail with front forks MTB. Was considering other mods but not worth the loss incase it gets stolen.
rdo1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:03 AM   #19
farmdog

My Ride: Food Truck
My project bike...built over a year or so...riding it in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170620_233344 (3).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	657039  
Old 06-21-2017, 06:25 AM   #20
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdo1990 View Post
You ever consider an ebike project? I just finished my project hardtail bike to commute to work in Boston about 8 miles each way. With a rear hub motor and 52v 18650 cells, I can get approximately a 25 mile range round trip (peddle assisted) and speeds up to 39 mph peddle assisted (36 mph throttle only). I average 24 mph though because massholes. Total cost was about 1,200 for my 26" hardtail with front forks MTB. Was considering other mods but not worth the loss incase it gets stolen.
Man you know this is in my future at some point, however right now, each and every time I get on my bike, I need 100% exercise and cannot be cheating at all. For a commuter bike, and an 8 mile ride your setup sounds absolutely perfect, you must post up some pictures!!! and a video if you can..

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmdog View Post
My project bike...built over a year or so...riding it in the morning.
Nice ride! How old is that KONA frame? Is that Rock Shox new? Which one?