E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #521
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Jake, if you're going to do a lot of on-pavement miles with your mtb, one thing to consider is a 2nd set of tires for it.

Before I bought my roadie, I did some medium distance charity rides on my mtb, so I bought a set of Specialized FatBoy slicks for it. Saved the knobbies for the dirt, and the bike sure as hell rolls a lot easier on the narrower, smoother, high-psi tire. It does look a little funny with skinny tires on it, though. LOL

FatBoy: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb...e-tires/fatboy

Conti Town & Country: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400237__400237
Those Conti's look nice. Maybe I will get them but in march I will be getting a road bike.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #522
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr_driver View Post
feeling pretty good set a new personal best going from pasadena to gardena through downtown la about 19miles in under 1:40.
That's a pretty good pace, especially assuming you hit some red lights along the way.

Did you go to CicLAvia on Sunday? Was a pretty good turn out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Those Conti's look nice. Maybe I will get them but in march I will be getting a road bike.
Well, maybe it wouldn't be worth it, then.

Since getting the roadie, I've used the FatBoys on the mtb for a few situations. For the first CicLAvia (see above) I attended, I wanted to take the mtb cuz I was taking the train to downtown LA, wasn't sure how good the streets would be or what the train stations would be like. Even with slicks at 80 psi, the mtb can handle potholes, curbs and going on/off sidewalks better than the roadie. Also have joined some beach cruiser group rides from meetup.com where the mtb with slicks is just closer to the style of the group than the roadie. I have also used the mtb with slicks for a hilly charity ride that I didn't train for. I decided the granny gears of the mtb were worth the tradeoff in weight vs the roadie. Lastly, I used them when the roadie was in the shop, but I needed to ride and wasn't going to be on dirt.

All in all, I've been glad to have them. But still, that's probably only a half dozen times I've put them on over the course of 4ish years. And now that I've converted the mtb to tubeless and putting the slicks on would involve more than just swapping tubes and tires, I don't know if I'll put them on again. We'll see.

So anyway, you can think about all that and decide if you'd keep getting use from them after you get a roadie.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #523
Xcelratr

Bikes need exercise, too. It amazes me how slow and heavy my road bike gets when it sits in the garage for 5 days without being ridden.

Rode 36 mile loop to the Trump golf course in PV today, a loop I've done plenty of times. Man, that thing did NOT want to go uphill today. It was really tired, I guess.

EDIT

So it was brought to my attention that my red bar tape had faded to the point where it was pink. I replaced it yesterday with black Fizik 3 mm tape. It was then brought to my attention that since it's breast cancer month, I should have waited a few more weeks before I changed it. LOL

Yes

Last edited by Xcelratr; 10-12-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #524
nojoda

My Ride: 06 M3Vert 6MT JB/CIN
Haha I went riding today too, after a month and a half I kept up with the group for 38 miles. I forgot to start the strava on time, damn it!
Average was 18mph but the groups pace was 20-21mph, I was drafting the whole time lol. And one major break which kills on time, all the red lights
and the major break brings up the time.

2006 BMW M3 VERT 6MT (CURRENT)
2007 B7 AUDI A4 2.0T CVT FWD (BRILLIANT BLACK) TRADED

2002 E46 BMW M3 SMG II (TIAG) RIP

INSTAGRAM : itsjorgebrah

Last edited by nojoda; 10-12-2013 at 08:48 PM.
nojoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #525
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
No I didn't go to CicLaiva unfortunately I wasn't able to, I have conti's on my bike right now and they've held up really well can't say enough good things about them for the money. Is that black grip tape leather? looks good I just got some regular fizik feels gud Unfortunately red lights are the worst...I hate getting them back to back
Old 10-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #526
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
I'm in NoVA and it's been raining here since Tuesday, I can ride in the rain, but the trees have already started dropping leaves so it can get sketchy quick. Now I've got it in my mind I want to buy a Fat Bike, any of you all own one and if so what do you got. I'm tempted to buy a Bikes Direct Fatty...
Old 10-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #527
Xcelratr

Quote:
No I didn't go to CicLaiva unfortunately I wasn't able to, I have conti's on my bike right now and they've held up really well can't say enough good things about them for the money. Is that black grip tape leather? looks good I just got some regular fizik feels gud Unfortunately red lights are the worst...I hate getting them back to back
This is the tape I got: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...78_-1___201014

They call it Microtex. It's definitely synthetic, not leather, but it has kind of a smooth leather feel to it.

Cowmoo32 did his a while ago with Bontager cork tape.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=237
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=261

Yes
Old 10-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #528
JohnBlaze

I like the under tape gel padded stickers from either Fizik or Specialized kits. adds a little weight, but looks better than double taping and nice on the nerves. I prefer not wearing gloves.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #529
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
I like the under tape gel padded stickers from either Fizik or Specialized kits. adds a little weight, but looks better than double taping and nice on the nerves. I prefer not wearing gloves.
My bike came with gel under the tape, and I left it on, even though the new tape is padded. I do likes me some comfort.

I think you're for riding without gloves. Lol. I feel so weird without them. I'm a sweaty SOB when I ride, so my hands would be wet and slippery without them. Plus, if I go down, I don't want my hands to be so road-rashed that I can't get myself home or can't function in daily life (you know, fapping and stuff) until they're healed.

Yes
Old 10-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #530
JohnBlaze

I usually ride solo. In group rides, or through the woods I wear gloves. Maybe I'll reconsider my solo riding and glove up, get some real nice ones...
Old 10-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #531
mcr_driver

Always wear my motorcycle gloves little extra comfort and safety in case I go down
Old 10-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #532
nojoda

im a sweaty mofo too, I can't ride without gloves. I mean I CAN, but its slippery and uncomfortable, not to mention the white tape gets dirtier quicker since it gets extra dirty when wet.

Cant wait to cram in more miles, if I wake up with energy tom morn Im going to try to ride early morning at sunrise.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #533
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Rode in a ride for MS for the first time with my dad, who has been cycling for years, this past weekend. Figured I'd try it out, and rented a bike from a local shop. Actually really enjoyed it, it was 70 miles in one day, and was supposed to be another 50 today but got rained out. Not sore or tired, my ass is just bruised from the rough patches of road. Thinking about buying a bike soon and riding more!
Old 10-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #534
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLA View Post
Rode in a ride for MS for the first time with my dad, who has been cycling for years, this past weekend. Figured I'd try it out, and rented a bike from a local shop. Actually really enjoyed it, it was 70 miles in one day, and was supposed to be another 50 today but got rained out. Not sore or tired, my ass is just bruised from the rough patches of road. Thinking about buying a bike soon and riding more!
Dude, if your first ride was a 70 miler, you're 26.8 times manlier than I am. That's a helluva first ride. How long did it take you?

FYI, my dad also rides road and mtb. Riding together, either at these organized charity rides or just when we visit each other, is kind of a neat father/son thing. He's in his 70s now, so he doesn't go as far or as fast as I do. But for a weekend ride, I just ride at his pace. And when we do a charity ride, he might do a shorter route than me, but the routes usually overlap, so we ride the first few miles together before we separate.

Anyway, if you're looking for something to do with your dad for many years to come, bike riding might be a cool activity.

Yes
Old 10-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #535
mcr_driver

It'd be awesome to do a fanatic ride sometime anyone down to just get together and good for a ride around? I'm a local 626/323 person.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #536
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Dude, if your first ride was a 70 miler, you're 26.8 times manlier than I am. That's a helluva first ride. How long did it take you?

FYI, my dad also rides road and mtb. Riding together, either at these organized charity rides or just when we visit each other, is kind of a neat father/son thing. He's in his 70s now, so he doesn't go as far or as fast as I do. But for a weekend ride, I just ride at his pace. And when we do a charity ride, he might do a shorter route than me, but the routes usually overlap, so we ride the first few miles together before we separate.

Anyway, if you're looking for something to do with your dad for many years to come, bike riding might be a cool activity.
It took us 5 hours, including 3 5-10 minute rest stops and a 30 minute lunch break, couldn't pass up on all the free food/stuff at each stop. Definitely a cool thing to do with my dad, he's in really good shape and still young (55) so we have a lot more rides we can ride together. We plan on riding the MS150 in April, it's from Houston to Austin over two days. Might be a cool thing to get a fanatic team together.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #537
Xcelratr

Quote:
It'd be awesome to do a fanatic ride sometime anyone down to just get together and good for a ride around? I'm a local 626/323 person.
As long as we can work out the schedule, and you guys go slow enough for me, I'm in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLA View Post
It took us 5 hours, including 3 5-10 minute rest stops and a 30 minute lunch break, couldn't pass up on all the free food/stuff at each stop. Definitely a cool thing to do with my dad, he's in really good shape and still young (55) so we have a lot more rides we can ride together. We plan on riding the MS150 in April, it's from Houston to Austin over two days. Might be a cool thing to get a fanatic team together.
Good stuff.

Yes
Old 10-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #538
nojoda

got some miles in today.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:56 AM   #539
mcr_driver

Nice job

My day was not as awesome unfortunately...Had a spill today while riding home from class, met another cyclist and he hit an oil slick swerved to avoid him and have a bruise and skinned elbow as a result. Bike is okay and both him and I are fine. It was on a newly paved road that I know from riding it the past few weeks has had good grip but it hid the slick rather well unfortunately. I wonder what happened to cause the slick as we both noticed while walking the oil off our tires a bit that it went on for a few blocks, almost saw an accident as a result as well, call chp but they were no help
Old 10-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #540
JohnBlaze

man that sucks. I fell while clipped in at a stop for the first time a few days ago. Was distracted by this women who stopped in front of me, stopping the middle of the road/crosswalk but totally my own fault. Didn't do any damage thank god, just scraped up my knee pulled back some skin a little blood nothing terrible. Oh yeah, scraped up my brand new shoes too, thank god I didn't go for the super expensive Specialized I had been looking at.

I got a pair of Diadora's from Performance for 80 bucks, they're really stiff and have no venting. Great for warmth retention and training. Slowly but surely I'm acquiring more cold weather gear.