E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #541
nojoda

My Ride: 06 M3Vert 6MT JB/CIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr_driver View Post
Nice job

My day was not as awesome unfortunately...Had a spill today while riding home from class, met another cyclist and he hit an oil slick swerved to avoid him and have a bruise and skinned elbow as a result. Bike is okay and both him and I are fine. It was on a newly paved road that I know from riding it the past few weeks has had good grip but it hid the slick rather well unfortunately. I wonder what happened to cause the slick as we both noticed while walking the oil off our tires a bit that it went on for a few blocks, almost saw an accident as a result as well, call chp but they were no help
oh man im sorry to hear that im glad your ok though! some roads are sketchy no matter how well paved they are and the number of times we ride at the same spot! yesterday I did one lap with the group in the sprint section of the ride and man, there was glass everywhere! I was surprised I didn't get a flat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
man that sucks. I fell while clipped in at a stop for the first time a few days ago. Was distracted by this women who stopped in front of me, stopping the middle of the road/crosswalk but totally my own fault. Didn't do any damage thank god, just scraped up my knee pulled back some skin a little blood nothing terrible. Oh yeah, scraped up my brand new shoes too, thank god I didn't go for the super expensive Specialized I had been looking at.

I got a pair of Diadora's from Performance for 80 bucks, they're really stiff and have no venting. Great for warmth retention and training. Slowly but surely I'm acquiring more cold weather gear.
glad your ok, yeah crazy drivers were their late reactions always leave us like a deer staring at headlights lol.

I actually started thinking about cold weather gear, yesterday during one of the stops I was asking around if they actually had some cold weather gear down here... being FL and all. All of them said they had long gloves with sleeves for your forarms and legs because the wind at 30F at 25 mph gets you pretty stiff and cold. I've never ridden under 70 degrees lol.

I've driven with the top down at 24 degrees though, and I felt like my face was going to fall off.

2006 BMW M3 VERT 6MT (CURRENT)
2007 B7 AUDI A4 2.0T CVT FWD (BRILLIANT BLACK) TRADED

2002 E46 BMW M3 SMG II (TIAG) RIP

INSTAGRAM : itsjorgebrah
nojoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #542
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
yeah, it was actually a bicycle rider lady who stopped in front of me at the crosswalk, in the middle of the road.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #543
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Nice job

My day was not as awesome unfortunately...Had a spill today while riding home from class, met another cyclist and he hit an oil slick swerved to avoid him and have a bruise and skinned elbow as a result. Bike is okay and both him and I are fine. It was on a newly paved road that I know from riding it the past few weeks has had good grip but it hid the slick rather well unfortunately. I wonder what happened to cause the slick as we both noticed while walking the oil off our tires a bit that it went on for a few blocks, almost saw an accident as a result as well, call chp but they were no help
Are your sunglasses polarized? It's not an absolute, but sometimes polarized lenses can help you spot that kind of stuff because the light coming from the oily surface will look different than the light coming from a dry surface. Glad you got out of it without any serious injury.

Quote:
man that sucks. I fell while clipped in at a stop for the first time a few days ago. Was distracted by this women who stopped in front of me, stopping the middle of the road/crosswalk but totally my own fault. Didn't do any damage thank god, just scraped up my knee pulled back some skin a little blood nothing terrible. Oh yeah, scraped up my brand new shoes too, thank god I didn't go for the super expensive Specialized I had been looking at.

I got a pair of Diadora's from Performance for 80 bucks, they're really stiff and have no venting. Great for warmth retention and training. Slowly but surely I'm acquiring more cold weather gear.
Quote:
yeah, it was actually a bicycle rider lady who stopped in front of me at the crosswalk, in the middle of the road.
Pics of woman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojoda View Post
I actually started thinking about cold weather gear, yesterday during one of the stops I was asking around if they actually had some cold weather gear down here... being FL and all. All of them said they had long gloves with sleeves for your forarms and legs because the wind at 30F at 25 mph gets you pretty stiff and cold. I've never ridden under 70 degrees lol.

I've driven with the top down at 24 degrees though, and I felt like my face was going to fall off.
I'm in SoCal, so even when the temp drops, we usually have sunshine. That makes a big difference. I also ride in Nevada in the winter, where it gets colder than here and is often windy. But again, once that desert sun comes out, it certainly helps.

However, I am sometimes heading out to ride when it's in the low 30s, so over the last couple of years, I've accumulated:

Bellwether ThermoDry Bib Knicker

Pearl Izumi Elite Thermal Leg Warmer

Novara Conversion Jacket
, sleeves zip off to convert the jacket into a vest.

Novara Arosa Gloves

Novara Thermal Tech Beanie

This winter, I found 2 long sleeve mock turtleneck base layer shirts (1 Nike, 1 UnderArmour) on the clearance rack at Nordstrom Rack.

In addition, I have a small but varied selection of other short and long sleeve technical shirts that I can use as base layers.

So between cold-weather specific gear, warm-weather gear and a few other generic workout items, I have a huge range of combinations I can put together depending on the weather.

Short sleeve jersey + sun sleeves for warm weather. Short sleeve jersey + short sleeve base layer + sun sleeves. Short sleeve jersey + long sleeve base layer. Long sleeve jersey + jacket with sleeves at the start of a ride, zip sleeves off and finish ride with jacket as a vest and the jersey unzipped part of the way.

It's easy to just drop a bunch of coin buying a lot of stuff at once. Some of my stuff I've just bought because I needed it at the time. But a lot of these items I've picked up when they've been on sale, on a clearance rack, or with a coupon. Part of the trick is keeping your eyes open all the time, sift through some sale bins, and don't be afraid to look for useful stuff at places like Nordstrom Rack, TJ Maxx, Marshall's and so on. Look for items that are versatile so you can get more use out of them.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #544
nojoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
It's easy to just drop a bunch of coin buying a lot of stuff at once. Some of my stuff I've just bought because I needed it at the time. But a lot of these items I've picked up when they've been on sale, on a clearance rack, or with a coupon. Part of the trick is keeping your eyes open all the time, sift through some sale bins, and don't be afraid to look for useful stuff at places like Nordstrom Rack, TJ Maxx, Marshall's and so on. Look for items that are versatile so you can get more use out of them.
dude thanks for the info! and I second that theory, when I was REALLY into surfing and bodyboarding I picked up a 300 dollar quicksilver wetsuit at ross for 40 bucks during summertime. I couldn't believe it when I saw the black and red stripes like on kelly Slater and looked at it three times and was like theres nooooo wayyyyy let me try this on. dude, it fit like a glove. To this day I can't believe it. hahaha. They just opened a nordstrom rack near me, im going to have to take a look at whats out there especially on nashbar and performance bike

Old 10-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #545
JohnBlaze

got some new wheels, finally getting reimbursed for the crash I had 2 months ago.

**** picture, will get something better soon

Last edited by JohnBlaze; 10-25-2013 at 07:47 PM.
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #546
Xcelratr

Are those CLX 60s?

How'd you get reimbursed? Did that family step up and pay to fix the bike? Or insurance or sumptin?

Yes
Old 10-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #547
JohnBlaze

Yeah, the kids dad filed a home insurance claim and they are reimbursing me. These are the Roval Rapide SL45's, deepest wheels I've ridden. Feel good, can definitely feel crosswinds about 15mph gusts, but much less noticeable in the drops. Did first ride this morning, can feel them keeping speed up and they're like 150 grams lighter than my Fulcram 4's, but also weight about 50 grams more than the Fusee SLX 23's I traded in on crash replacement credit for these.

Last edited by JohnBlaze; 10-26-2013 at 12:27 PM.
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #548
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Your bike is gorgeous, that's really all I have to contribute right now because it's 45o outside.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 10-26-2013 at 12:29 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #549
JohnBlaze

yeah same temp up here, and a little windy but cold weather gear really helps out.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #550
cowmoo32
drunken science

Re: * Official* Road Bike / Cycling Thread

Quote:
yeah same temp up here, and a little windy but cold weather gear really helps out.
Unfortunately dry air and my lungs don't get along so I'm stuck in the gym until the humidity returns

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using BimmerApp mobile app

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 10-26-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #551
nojoda

So an old family friend found out I got into cycling and he donated an old roller he had laying around, I just need to buy a new rubberband and it should work.

today i broke 50 miles. crazy

Last edited by nojoda; 10-26-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #552
nojoda

Quote:

your bike is amazing dude

Old 10-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #553
Xcelratr

Quote:
Yeah, the kids dad filed a home insurance claim and they are reimbursing me. These are the Roval Rapide SL45's, deepest wheels I've ridden. Feel good, can definitely feel crosswinds about 15mph gusts, but much less noticeable in the drops. Did first ride this morning, can feel them keeping speed up and they're like 150 grams lighter than my Fulcram 4's, but also weight about 50 grams more than the Fusee SLX 23's I traded in on crash replacement credit for these.
Can I have your Fulcrums?

I'm impressed with the kid's dad. Not everyone would have taken responsibility like that. Glad you're rolling again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Unfortunately dry air and my lungs don't get along so I'm stuck in the gym until the humidity returns
You can have some of ours. I rode 36 miles this am out to the Trump golf course in Palos Verdes. Was cloudy and cool, as soon as I started climbing up from the beach, I was riding in a fog bank.

Or: http://www.buffusa.com/sports/collec...g/styles/nitro

Quote:
So an old family friend found out I got into cycling and he donated an old roller he had laying around, I just need to buy a new rubberband and it should work.

today i broke 50 miles. crazy
Those things look like they'd be cool to ride on, but scary as hell, too. Have you ever ridden on one before?

Nice job on the mileage, btw.

Yes
Old 10-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #554
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
You can have some of ours. I rode 36 miles this am out to the Trump golf course in Palos Verdes. Was cloudy and cool, as soon as I started climbing up from the beach, I was riding in a fog bank.

Or: http://www.buffusa.com/sports/collec...g/styles/nitro
I used to use something similar for snowboarding, can't believe I didn't think of this Thanks.

flickher

Old 10-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #555
nojoda

Quote:
Those things look like they'd be cool to ride on, but scary as hell, too. Have you ever ridden on one before?
Nice job on the mileage, btw.
Thanks man, trying harder and harder as my friend that started with me really got into the sport and already lost 28 pounds and went on 2 100 mile rides with the group averaging 20-25 miles during the whole ride. Ofcourse with a few stops but darn, i could only hang for about 30 miles.

Regarding the rollers, I took them because they were free sort of a donation of stuff just sitting there, im terried of trying these, ive watch all the tutorial videos and they all suggest getting between a doorway which i do have towards my room and my bathroom so ill try that the first few times, i have to buy the pulley though, and im thinking about buying the indoor tire to reduce noise becuase its LOUD!!! and living in a building i might get complaints at 6am lol

Old 10-27-2013, 11:46 PM   #556
Xcelratr

Quote:
Thanks man, trying harder and harder as my friend that started with me really got into the sport and already lost 28 pounds and went on 2 100 mile rides with the group averaging 20-25 miles during the whole ride. Ofcourse with a few stops but darn, i could only hang for about 30 miles.

Regarding the rollers, I took them because they were free sort of a donation of stuff just sitting there, im terried of trying these, ive watch all the tutorial videos and they all suggest getting between a doorway which i do have towards my room and my bathroom so ill try that the first few times, i have to buy the pulley though, and im thinking about buying the indoor tire to reduce noise becuase its LOUD!!! and living in a building i might get complaints at 6am lol
A real Fanatic would video his first attempts and post them here. Jus sayin.

Yes
Old 10-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #557
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
Quote:
In for youtube vid's of falls
Old 10-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #558
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
I was going to say the same thing..........post vid of rollers
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #559
nojoda

Quote:
Quote:
In for youtube vid's of falls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
I was going to say the same thing..........post vid of rollers
all of you are crazy to think id post a video making a fool out of myself

heres a video though, of the group I ride with on saturdays. Didnt know one of the guys filmed a few rides with his gopro, im not in this video as I wasn't into cycling back then, but its the same guys, and I would say on some saturdays the group is even bigger.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #560
Xcelratr

No Range Rover, no care.

Yes