E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #81
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,525
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Anyone have aero bars? I want to get some as my route is flat and fairly straight. I talked to a girl at the local shop last night and she said they start ~$120, but I'm seeing some online for half of that. Any recommendations?
No suggestions but pics of the girl?

I used to be pretty far into biking a lot. Bought a sh!tty target bike that was super heavy for training and an upgraded Trek 1200 for any of the longer rides I'd do. Was pretty fun for a while but haven't gotten on it since 2009 and don't forsee myself having any time in the near futre so I'm going to sell it soon. Sad to see her go but having a $1100 road bike sitting in the basement isn't really a good investment.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:04 PM   #82
K1rby
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 159
My Ride: has no C pillars
Trek stopped making the 1200 in 2006. I don't see you getting $1100 for a 6 year old (or older) entry-level bike.

Debbie Downer
__________________
sig courtesy of CSL323
K1rby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #83
Xcelratr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: So Cal - 310
Posts: 958
My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Begin rant here:

MF-ing walkers and joggers, STAY THE OFF THE BIKE PATH!

I live in the South Bay area of LA. There's a bike path that runs all along the beach from south Redondo all the way up to Santa Monica. The sections in Redondo and Hermosa are combined, multi-use. Speed limit for bikes is 8 mph. On a multi-use path, I totally get that. I almost never ride those sections because bikes + pedestrians is a bad mix, so I leave the path to the walkers/joggers.

I ride the section of the path that starts at 1st St in MB. The bike path is split from the pedestrian path. They parallel each other, in some cases only separated by a few feet. But separate they are, and for damn good reason.

- Why the hell do some pedestrians insist on being on the bike path when the pedestrian path is literally only feet away?

- WTF do some of them insist on bringing their dogs on the path? Really? I love dogs, and the last thing I want to do is hit one on my bike, or have one dash across the path and hit the leash. I swear if that ever happens, I'm going to hit the human in order to avoid injuring the dog.

- I know black is fashionable and slimming, but walking or jogging at night on a mostly unlit bike path, dressed all in black, with no lights or reflectors is borderline suicidal when you've got 10/15/20 mph bikes zipping along. Guess what, cyclists put lights on their bikes MOSTLY to be seen. Most bike "headlights" are not like a car headlight with tremendous reach and brightness. Cyclists rely on other traffic to be lit up as well, so we can all see each other. A jogger dressed in black is invisible along some parts of the path (esp next to Scattergood).

- OK, so you decide to ignore the "BIKES ONLY" signs painted on the path every few hundred feet. Do you really need to walk 2 or 3 abreast, blocking 50% of the path? Really?

- Huge thank you to the surfers I've encountered crossing the path or briefly walking along the path to get to the stairs to the pedestrian path or parking lot. Somehow, the surfers manage to look both ways before stepping on to the path, give way to the bikes, hug the edge of the path, and put effort into keeping the board out of the way.

- It chaps me when MBPD puts up the "walk your bike" signs at the pier and stations an officer there to enforce it, but then doesn't have a bike cop ride up and down the bike path, shooing away or ticketing pedestrians. Absolutely on weekends or busy days, I understand the need to walk bikes because of all the dumbasses strolling on and off the pier without looking, but lets have it go both ways the rest of the time, too.

End rant.
__________________
----------------------------------------------
Quote:
As a juror, do you think the trial was a publicity stunt?

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #84
Xcelratr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: So Cal - 310
Posts: 958
My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Types rant. Kills thread.


Back on topic. Did an out-and-back along the beach today.

Tailwinds are Headwinds are

__________________
----------------------------------------------
Quote:
As a juror, do you think the trial was a publicity stunt?

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #85
Darkside213
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California
Posts: 3,906
My Ride: 04 TSX daily, 01 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Begin rant here:

MF-ing walkers and joggers, STAY THE OFF THE BIKE PATH!

I live in the South Bay area of LA. There's a bike path that runs all along the beach from south Redondo all the way up to Santa Monica. The sections in Redondo and Hermosa are combined, multi-use. Speed limit for bikes is 8 mph. On a multi-use path, I totally get that. I almost never ride those sections because bikes + pedestrians is a bad mix, so I leave the path to the walkers/joggers.

I ride the section of the path that starts at 1st St in MB. The bike path is split from the pedestrian path. They parallel each other, in some cases only separated by a few feet. But separate they are, and for damn good reason.

- Why the hell do some pedestrians insist on being on the bike path when the pedestrian path is literally only feet away?

- WTF do some of them insist on bringing their dogs on the path? Really? I love dogs, and the last thing I want to do is hit one on my bike, or have one dash across the path and hit the leash. I swear if that ever happens, I'm going to hit the human in order to avoid injuring the dog.

- I know black is fashionable and slimming, but walking or jogging at night on a mostly unlit bike path, dressed all in black, with no lights or reflectors is borderline suicidal when you've got 10/15/20 mph bikes zipping along. Guess what, cyclists put lights on their bikes MOSTLY to be seen. Most bike "headlights" are not like a car headlight with tremendous reach and brightness. Cyclists rely on other traffic to be lit up as well, so we can all see each other. A jogger dressed in black is invisible along some parts of the path (esp next to Scattergood).

- OK, so you decide to ignore the "BIKES ONLY" signs painted on the path every few hundred feet. Do you really need to walk 2 or 3 abreast, blocking 50% of the path? Really?

- Huge thank you to the surfers I've encountered crossing the path or briefly walking along the path to get to the stairs to the pedestrian path or parking lot. Somehow, the surfers manage to look both ways before stepping on to the path, give way to the bikes, hug the edge of the path, and put effort into keeping the board out of the way.

- It chaps me when MBPD puts up the "walk your bike" signs at the pier and stations an officer there to enforce it, but then doesn't have a bike cop ride up and down the bike path, shooing away or ticketing pedestrians. Absolutely on weekends or busy days, I understand the need to walk bikes because of all the dumbasses strolling on and off the pier without looking, but lets have it go both ways the rest of the time, too.

End rant.
I ride the same path and share your anger. And its not even just barely on the bike path, its right smack dab in the middle!

I need to replace the lights on my cycle, any suggestions. I'm not a hardcore professional, I do it mostly for fun. So not looking to spend a ridiculous amount. I ride a Trek 1.2T 2008
__________________
"I didn't understand women when I was growing up. God rewarded me with three girls. That's how I came to the conclusion that God is not only female, but a teenager."
Vouch for: nitro3421
Vouches from: nitro3421
Darkside213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:40 AM   #86
s3th
Registered User
 
s3th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nor Cal -> Reno, NV
Posts: 4,382
My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP
Just bought myself the 2011 Giant Defy 4 Advanced. So excited about it, got a super good deal.
__________________
You can just call me seth.

500px
s3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #87
cowmoo32
drunken science
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,533
My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Types rant. Kills thread.


Back on topic. Did an out-and-back along the beach today.

Tailwinds are Headwinds are

[IMG]http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc190/Xcelratr/Technical%20Pics/Jan22012.jpg[IMG]
You're not kidding. I went out last week to ride my normal loop a couple times but only made it around once. I know it's not physically possible, but it felt like I had head wind the ENTIRE time, and I face N/S/E/W at different parts of the ride What are you using to track your speed like that?
__________________

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #88
Xcelratr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: So Cal - 310
Posts: 958
My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside213 View Post
I ride the same path and share your anger. And its not even just barely on the bike path, its right smack dab in the middle! WERD! I JUST THINK "WTF ARE YOU DOING? YOU WOULDN'T PLAY TACKLE FOOTBALL WITH ME, WOULD YOU? THEN WHY DO YOU WANT ME TO SLAM INTO YOU AT 15 MPH WHILE WEARING A HELMET? AND NEVER MIND WHAT MY BIKE WILL DO TO YOUR BODY WHEN THEY COLLIDE."

I need to replace the lights on my cycle, any suggestions. I'm not a hardcore professional, I do it mostly for fun. So not looking to spend a ridiculous amount. I ride a Trek 1.2T 2008
I'm not expert enough to tell you what to buy. I suggest you go talk to the guys at Cynergy Cycles in SaMo. They're pretty good guys, not hardcore sell-you-the-most-expensive-part kind of store. Just tell them what you're trying to do and they'll give it to you straight. You could probably get lights online for a little less money, but the advice and help you can get from the guys at Cynergy is totally worth it.

Here's as much as I know: you need to decide if your headlight is "to see" or "to be seen". To-be-seen takes a lot less light, so is smaller, cheaper, lighter and a little more flexible as far as mounting. If you want "to see", as in a true headlight that lights up the ground in front of you for a ways, that takes a bigger unit with a lot of juice. That = more money, a separate power source/battery pack, heavier and fewer choices for mounting. But, it will let you ride in places with no other light sources.

I rarely ride anywhere where there are no lights at all, so I've stuck with "to be seen". My roadie light is an old NiteRider UltraFazer 3.0. On my mtb, I have two old CatEye lamps kinda like this but that take 3 AAA batteries and have 3 LEDs.

There are places along the beach path (like esp right outside Scattergood) that can be pretty dark at night. But mostly the lights from the parking lots, houses, buildings, etc, light up the path well enough that my "to be seen" lights work fine. I haven't tried riding someplace like Ballona Creek at night, though.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3th View Post
Just bought myself the 2011 Giant Defy 4 Advanced. So excited about it, got a super good deal.
Niiiice. Looks like a really cool bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
You're not kidding. I went out last week to ride my normal loop a couple times but only made it around once. I know it's not physically possible, but it felt like I had head wind the ENTIRE time, and I face N/S/E/W at different parts of the ride What are you using to track your speed like that?
Just write it off to you hauling ass the whole time and creating your own headwind.

I have a Garmin Edge 705 with heartrate monitor and cadence sensor. I love it, cuz I'm a total data junkie. So I love coming back from a ride and downloading it to Garmin Training Center to look at the map, and all the stats. It reminds me of what a fat POS I am, and motivates me to ride more. LOL

GTC will allow you to view your ride in Google Earth. There are also route guides available on websites like geoladders.com (for mtb) that you can download to the Edge 705 which will then give you realtime turn-by-turn directions for a ride. I used that function to ride the Fullerton loop on my mtb and it was awesome, perfect guide, no wrong turns, followed the route exactly on my first time out. With geoladders, you can also then upload your ride back to the site, and compare your ride with others ("race" them). I don't do that, see above reference to fat POS.

I also use the Edge itself for other stuff like hiking. I take it on dive trips and record the coordinates of our dive spots so I can look at them on Google Earth when I get home. I took it to Japan and saved the locations of my apt and any hotels I was staying in just in case I got turned around and didn't know the way home. It could at least tell me the direction and distance. I used it to record a shinkansen trip so I could see how fast the train went. Yes, yes, I'm a geek.

At the time I got it, it was Garmin's top of the line cycling computer and was about $500. Despite how much I love it, I would not have spent the $ for it. But my employees gave me a large gift card to a sports store that sold literally nothing else I wanted, but could order Garmin stuff. So I went with the Edge 705 because my cash outlay for it was small.

These days, the totl from Garmin is the Edge 800, which is totally cool. But it's still a lot of $. If you're into it the way I am, and you use the computer itself for a bunch of activities, it might be worth it. But there are literally dozens of bike computers that will record time/distance that cost a helluva lot less.

If I was starting over today, one thing I'd look at is fitness apps and handlebar mounts for Droid/iPhones. I don't know if a phone can be set up to do everything the Garmin does, and do it as well. But it would be worth looking into before taking the plunge on an expensive cycling computer.

__________________
----------------------------------------------
Quote:
As a juror, do you think the trial was a publicity stunt?

Yes
----------------------------------------------

Last edited by Xcelratr; 01-07-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #89
JordanBMW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 639
My Ride: 320i 2002 steel blue
Send a message via MSN to JordanBMW Send a message via Skype™ to JordanBMW
Did you know that you will get erectile disfunction from cycling all the time.
Have fun.
__________________
JordanBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #90
Xcelratr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: So Cal - 310
Posts: 958
My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanBMW View Post
Did you know that you will get erectile disfunction from cycling all the time.
Have fun.
Thanks for your contribution. The moron thread is just down the hall on the left.
__________________
----------------------------------------------
Quote:
As a juror, do you think the trial was a publicity stunt?

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #91
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,525
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirby147 View Post
Trek stopped making the 1200 in 2006. I don't see you getting $1100 for a 6 year old (or older) entry-level bike.

Debbie Downer
I guess I missed this post. Don't plan on selling it for that much, that's just what I paid for it...
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #92
southpaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sun Diego
Posts: 15,282
My Ride: E36 M3 and E36 318ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanBMW View Post
Did you know that you will get erectile disfunction from cycling all the time.
Have fun.
You really do post the most useless and imbecilic stuff.

Terrible troll is terrible.
__________________
-Brandon

239whp/227wtq @2700lbs
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #93
JordanBMW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 639
My Ride: 320i 2002 steel blue
Send a message via MSN to JordanBMW Send a message via Skype™ to JordanBMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
You really do post the most useless and imbecilic stuff.

Terrible troll is terrible.
This is the Internet I say it how it is.
__________________
JordanBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #94
s3th
Registered User
 
s3th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nor Cal -> Reno, NV
Posts: 4,382
My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanBMW View Post
This is the Internet I say it how it is.
That's why you say it.. Because you don't have to face anyone.
__________________
You can just call me seth.

500px
s3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #95
JordanBMW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 639
My Ride: 320i 2002 steel blue
Send a message via MSN to JordanBMW Send a message via Skype™ to JordanBMW
Harry poter lol
__________________
JordanBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #96
southpaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sun Diego
Posts: 15,282
My Ride: E36 M3 and E36 318ti
Base model 320i from Canada with photoshopped wheels lol
__________________
-Brandon

239whp/227wtq @2700lbs
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #97
SJZach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Jersey/ Wilmington NC
Posts: 379
My Ride: orient blue 325xi
Bikesdirect.com they have all the good shimano and carbon components of your more expenve specialized,trek, etc. road bikes but are a fraction of the cost and new. I ride a specialized now but my first road bike was from bikes direct and other family members/friends have bikes from their they are good bikes
edit: Also OP go to your local bikeshop and get fitted so you know what frame size is best for you.
__________________
Zach
Bimmerfest East '11 attendee
progress thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=969658

Last edited by SJZach; 01-07-2012 at 10:39 PM.
SJZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #98
SJZach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Jersey/ Wilmington NC
Posts: 379
My Ride: orient blue 325xi
also dont get a hybrid you will regret probably after a month into riding
__________________
Zach
Bimmerfest East '11 attendee
progress thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=969658
SJZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #99
JordanBMW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 639
My Ride: 320i 2002 steel blue
Send a message via MSN to JordanBMW Send a message via Skype™ to JordanBMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
Base model 320i from Canada with photoshopped wheels lol
Go look at steel blue topic sig is so old.
Nice hair btw bro
__________________
JordanBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #100
USCTrojanMan29
Registered User
 
USCTrojanMan29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,310
My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakman3 View Post
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use