E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:34 AM   #1341
Eurobahn BMW
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: BMW Greensboro
Hey guys check out this OEM BMW Cruise Bike

Stylish, classy, lightweight: the Eurobahn BMW Cruise Bike. Its ergonomically shaped frame ensures an ideal weight distribution. The angle of the fork combines with the wheelbase to ensure good-natured ride characteristics, providing an optimal balance of stability and agility. High torsional stiffness and an individually adjustable stem make this well thought-out, sporty bike exceedingly comfortable. Smooth-welded seams and cables that are partly running inside the frame emphasize this bikes sophisticated looks. Features include a premium, adjustable fork and a precise Shimano Alivio 27-speed derailleur system. Weight: 29.1 lbs. Aluminum frame (AL6061-T6), hydroformed and powder-coated, smooth-welded seams..
Parts Number: 80 91 2 222 096
Manufacturer BMW
Categories
List Price $ 990.00
Your Price $ 835.16
You Save $ 154.84 (16%)
Quantity to Add

Eurobahn BMW MINI Mercedes-Benz Audi - Greensboro, NC Search for a local, independent BMW Greensboro shop with BMW mechanics that have dealer-level expertise at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited by Eurobahn BMW; 11-24-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Eurobahn BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #1342
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Looks like a VERY nice rack. My wife's try buddy has one similar on her truck. I wonder if they have a 2 bike version. Wait, i'll click the link and find out!

One of the better features. You can add on racks up to 3 for the 1 1/4" hitch or 4 bikes for the 2" hitch.

I only need 1 90% of the time so I like not having a bigger rack than I need. Makes it a lot easier for the wife to use the rack as well.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #1343
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotha View Post
Hey guys check out this OEM BMW Cruise Bike

Stylish, classy, lightweight: the BMW Cruise Bike. Its ergonomically shaped frame ensures an ideal weight distribution. The angle of the fork combines with the wheelbase to ensure good-natured ride characteristics, providing an optimal balance of stability and agility. High torsional stiffness and an individually adjustable stem make this well thought-out, sporty bike exceedingly comfortable. Smooth-welded seams and cables that are partly running inside the frame emphasize this bikes sophisticated looks. Features include a premium, adjustable fork and a precise Shimano Alivio 27-speed derailleur system. Weight: 29.1 lbs. Aluminum frame (AL6061-T6), hydroformed and powder-coated, smooth-welded seams..
Parts Number: 80 91 2 222 096
Manufacturer BMW
Categories
List Price $ 990.00
Your Price $ 835.16
You Save $ 154.84 (16%)
Quantity to Add
lol
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #1344
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
29 pounds? lolololololololol

Cannondale Caad or Specialized Allez are far better.

Last edited by Solidjake; 07-28-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #1345
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
But it's a BMW!

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #1346
RossGuy

My Ride: FBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
But it's a BMW!
I saw a few nice ones in their catalog while I was at the dealership with my buddy. No way would I buy one though. I'd feel like the biggest pretentious douche bag riding one.

RossGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:37 AM   #1347
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
It's meant to be a city bike, probably. Hauling ass isn't the top priority.

27 speeds, flat bar, suspension fork, what look to be fairly high volume tires. It's probably way comfy to ride around town.

Funky tubes, though. Seems like the top tube is round/oval, but the down tube is angular or square?

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:42 AM   #1348
RossGuy

My Ride: FBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post

27 speeds, flat bar, suspension fork, what look to be fairly high volume tires. It's probably way comfy to ride around town.

Funky tubes, though. Seems like the top tube is round/oval, but the down tube is angular or square?
Top tube probably holds an expansion tank.

RossGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:49 AM   #1349
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:39 AM   #1350
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Quote:

No doubt.

I was laughing at the price actually....I bought my wife a similar cruiser for about tree fiddy...and she got to pick her favorite color.

Last edited by Ghostie; 07-29-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #1351
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalther View Post
Talk to me about bike racks. . .This works for now, but I don't always want to travel top down. What to you all use?

Saris Bones works very well for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossGuy View Post
Messed around with the stem height today and finally cut it flush. Oh and went riding along the lake front downtown today. Man people are stupid and have no situational awareness. I wanted to push people out of the way so many times.

Nice
Old 07-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #1352
nojoda

My Ride: 06 M3Vert 6MT JB/CIN
how about the m bike

lol

2006 BMW M3 VERT 6MT (CURRENT)
2007 B7 AUDI A4 2.0T CVT FWD (BRILLIANT BLACK) TRADED

2002 E46 BMW M3 SMG II (TIAG) RIP

INSTAGRAM : itsjorgebrah
nojoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #1353
nojoda

My Ride: 06 M3Vert 6MT JB/CIN
how about the m bike

lol

2006 BMW M3 VERT 6MT (CURRENT)
2007 B7 AUDI A4 2.0T CVT FWD (BRILLIANT BLACK) TRADED

2002 E46 BMW M3 SMG II (TIAG) RIP

INSTAGRAM : itsjorgebrah
nojoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #1354
Xcelratr

^ It looks nice, but at least that pic doesn't seem to show anything that distinguishes it from the zillion other road bikes out there.

The Ultimate Pedaling Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossGuy View Post
Top tube probably holds an expansion tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
No doubt.

I was laughing at the price actually....I bought my wife a similar cruiser for about tree fiddy...and she got to pick her favorite color.
Yeah, I agree. Buying any accessory from a car mfgs catalog is not the definition of value shopping to begin with.

Yes
Old 07-31-2014, 10:29 PM   #1355
JohnBlaze

any of you all use Garmin GPS, if so what and how do you like?
Old 07-31-2014, 10:57 PM   #1356
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
any of you all use Garmin GPS, if so what and how do you like?
I've had a Garmin Edge 705 with heartrate monitor and cadence sensor for about 6 years for roadie and mtb. I love it, cuz I'm a total data junkie. So I love coming back from a ride and uploading it to Garmin Connect to look at the map and all the stats. It motivates me to ride more.

I also use the Edge itself for other stuff like hiking. I take it on dive trips and record the coordinates of our dive spots so I can look at them on Google Earth when I get home. I took it to Japan and saved the locations of my apt and any hotels I was staying in just in case I got turned around and didn't know the way home. It could at least tell me the direction and distance. I used it to record a shinkansen trip so I could see how fast the train went. Yes, yes, I'm a geek.

At the time I got it, it was Garmin's top of the line cycling computer and was about $500. Despite how much I love it, I would not have spent the $ for it. But my employees gave me a large gift card to a sports store that sold literally nothing else I wanted, but could order Garmin stuff. So I went with the Edge 705 because my cash outlay for it was small.

These days, the totl from Garmin is the Edge 1000, which is totally cool. But it's still a lot of $. If you're into it the way I am, and you use the computer itself for a bunch of activities, it might be worth it. But there are literally dozens of bike computers that will record time/distance that cost a helluva lot less.

Also, I've recently started lap swimming in preparation for ocean swimming, and I can't use my Edge in the water. If I had one of their watches like the Forerunner or fenix, I could use it in the pool and ocean. However, then I'd have my bike computer on my wrist instead of my handlebars.

So anyway, I tell you that in case you're going to want to use your GPS for other activities.

Yes
Old 07-31-2014, 11:03 PM   #1357
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:
I've had a Garmin Edge 705 with heartrate monitor and cadence sensor for about 6 years for roadie and mtb. I love it, cuz I'm a total data junkie. So I love coming back from a ride and uploading it to Garmin Connect to look at the map and all the stats. It motivates me to ride more.

I also use the Edge itself for other stuff like hiking. I take it on dive trips and record the coordinates of our dive spots so I can look at them on Google Earth when I get home. I took it to Japan and saved the locations of my apt and any hotels I was staying in just in case I got turned around and didn't know the way home. It could at least tell me the direction and distance. I used it to record a shinkansen trip so I could see how fast the train went. Yes, yes, I'm a geek.

At the time I got it, it was Garmin's top of the line cycling computer and was about $500. Despite how much I love it, I would not have spent the $ for it. But my employees gave me a large gift card to a sports store that sold literally nothing else I wanted, but could order Garmin stuff. So I went with the Edge 705 because my cash outlay for it was small.

These days, the totl from Garmin is the Edge 1000, which is totally cool. But it's still a lot of $. If you're into it the way I am, and you use the computer itself for a bunch of activities, it might be worth it. But there are literally dozens of bike computers that will record time/distance that cost a helluva lot less.

Also, I've recently started lap swimming in preparation for ocean swimming, and I can't use my Edge in the water. If I had one of their watches like the Forerunner or fenix, I could use it in the pool and ocean. However, then I'd have my bike computer on my wrist instead of my handlebars.

So anyway, I tell you that in case you're going to want to use your GPS for other activities.
Edge products are great. Wife uses them as well, and if you're into power stats, the Edge products are compatible and display the power very well.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:37 PM   #1358
JohnBlaze

Quote:

nice, thanks for that. I really only plan to use for biking, and I'd like one with maps cause that'll be great for rides with a lot of turns.

and I'm not at a level where I'm worried about the power meter, yet at least...

Last edited by JohnBlaze; 07-31-2014 at 11:38 PM.
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:25 AM   #1359
Xcelratr

If you want to see a map, have the unit calculate a route and guide you turn-by-turn (just like a gps nav in a car), up/download routes you create or other people create and post online, then an Edge is a great way to go. The watch-style units won't do that stuff, or at least won't do it nearly as well.

A lot of people are just using their phones. And that has a lot of advantages. But the battery life of a dedicated gps is hard to beat. Riding my first century, I completely forgot that I had the display backlight turned up to like 80% of max, and it still ran for like 9 hours before the battery finally quit. I don't know too many cell phones that can keep their screen lit for 9 straight hours, never mind while running a gps app the whole time. And when I go mountain biking, I like knowing that my cell phone is basically fully charged sitting in my pack in case I do something stupid to myself.

The flip side of that is that I'm carrying two devices, phone and computer. I used to carry 3 sometimes, phone, computer and camera. But the iPhone camera is so good, I just leave the P&S camera at home now. However there are people that are irked at the idea of carrying a separate device that does what the phone can already do. I just don't happen to be one of them.

My Edge has also been durable, and has been through some stuff that would have killed a phone. It's got a few chips in the corners from drops or crashes (mostly mtb). And I did a charity ride one time that was two drizzly days where the unit got rained on for 7 hrs one day and 5 hrs the next. No issues whatsoever with that.

Yes
Old 08-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #1360
jwalther

My Ride: 04 ZHP Vert
I bought a refurbished Edge 800 for under $300. The additional features of the 810 or 1000 don't justify the (significant) increase in cost. YMMV.