E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 02:31 AM   #1
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Those familiar with magpul gear

Ok, so I picked up a carbine length MOE handguard because I like the clean looks and light weight. I picked up the ASAP plate and MS2 sling because I *thought* 1 point was the way to go. However I'm coming across this conundrum where I'm finding the 1 point pretty much worthless except in transitioning to the support side to shoot. I also have this Magpul ASAP plate that I have zero need for also and I feel like it just gets in the way. The last piece is the MOE stock I have in the back.

Now, I need some help here. I've really come to liking the 2 point sling, especially Viking Tactical's VTAC sling. Do you guys know what the parts needed (aside from the sling itself) are? I need a mounting rail up front, along with a QD swivel in the back and front right? Any suggestions?
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
The single-point sling was originally designed for SMG and PDW use with the MP5 and MP5K. When you put it on a carbine with a 16" barrel, it's a little awkward. Single point slings work great if you plan on working with the weapon and using it in certain methods, but they really lose a lot of utility once you get over about 12.5" barrel length. The MS2/ASAP combo works great with my 7.5" Noveske Diplomat, and would probably work well up to a Mk18. Over that, and I think you're just pushing the limits. This is why I'm going with a traditional 2-pt VCAS & QD setup for my 11.5" build. The VTAC sling, as well as the Vickers VCAS are much better suited to the standard carbine.

For the MOE handguard, get the MOE polymer rails:
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1928

Then get a sling mount attachment for the rail:
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...ts_railmounted

And a rear receiver plate adapter if you want:
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...ineslingmounts

And then pick up your wide padded VTAC sling:
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho..._vikingtactics

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 03-19-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
Rush4theYehO

Thanks Reedo

On the sample photo for the VTAC sling - do you know which rear attachment point they used? The plates that hang right off the buffer tube gets annoying while gripping the rifle.

I made a huge mistake on that isngle point - I don't feel like it secures the rifle well AT ALL. thing bounces off my knees all the time. I see the pros of it, but IMO a 2 point sling can do it all effectively yet retain a much better comfort level.

Last edited by Rush4theYehO; 03-19-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Rush4theYehO

after browsing Ranier - their prices are pretty awesome.

I'm thinking the Daniel Defense Rail Mount QD Swivel Attachment with the EZ CAR Mount for the rear. I'm probably going to grab the 5 slot magpul rails because I still want to retain that clean and simple look. Probably pick up 2 of the 5 slots so I can attach a light at some point too.

You recommend the thick/padded version for sure?
Old 03-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
Thanks Reedo

On the sample photo for the VTAC sling - do you know which rear attachment point they used? The plates that hang right off the buffer tube gets annoying while gripping the rifle.

I made a huge mistake on that isngle point - I don't feel like it secures the rifle well AT ALL. thing bounces off my knees all the time. I see the pros of it, but IMO a 2 point sling can do it all effectively yet retain a much better comfort level.

Yeah, the single point is a very niche sling. If your rifle is too long or too heavy, it's a very cumbersome and inappropriate sling. Like I said, it basically is only good for really short SBRs. My current SBR is a PDW/PSD concept, which is within the original scope of the single point design. Duane Dieter is one of the primary developers and proliferators of the single point sling system, but he used it for MP5s.

Quote:
after browsing Ranier - their prices are pretty awesome.

I'm thinking the Daniel Defense Rail Mount QD Swivel Attachment with the EZ CAR Mount for the rear. I'm probably going to grab the 5 slot magpul rails because I still want to retain that clean and simple look. Probably pick up 2 of the 5 slots so I can attach a light at some point too.

You recommend the thick/padded version for sure?
Rainier is great. Every time I order something from them, it has shipped THAT DAY. Every time. If you order after hours, it'll be shipped the next business morning, guaranteed. They're seriously great people over there. I've chatted it up with them several times on the phone, and they know their shit.

I would also say to just go with the 5-slot. Nice and simple.

I'd recommend a padded version. If you don't plan on wearing armor, I've found that the standard slings tend to start to dig into you and get uncomfortable after a while. The wider slings and padded slings do a lot to increase comfort and control.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
I love the Magpul Kool-Aid.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
Rush4theYehO

Magpul is based on Boulder, CO. Which is great since there are a TON of hippies out there - probably the most liberal spot in CO. I also went to school in Boulder so they have an extra special place in my heart.

I'm gonna keep browsing, but will probably order the pieces I mentioned in my last post on Monday morning. I owe you all a photo of my rig when I get the sling project finished.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:54 AM   #8
Rush4theYehO

Another question - I have the Magpul CTR stock - for the rear, wouldn't I be able to just use a quick push-button detachable sling swivel?

ie, this one http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...product_id=225

picture of stock for reference:
Old 03-21-2011, 02:38 AM   #9
Chris-TK

Quote:
Another question - I have the Magpul CTR stock - for the rear, wouldn't I be able to just use a quick push-button detachable sling swivel?

ie, this one http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...product_id=225

picture of stock for reference:
Yes the CTR has a QD socket built in, all you need is the QD mount you listed.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:53 AM   #10
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-TK View Post
Yes the CTR has a QD socket built in, all you need is the QD mount you listed.
Yep. It's that little hole behind the adjustment lever. Forgot about that sucker. Might as well just go with that and not need to buy the rear DD mount. Just get the QD swivel.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #11
Chris-TK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Yep. It's that little hole behind the adjustment lever. Forgot about that sucker. Might as well just go with that and not need to buy the rear DD mount. Just get the QD swivel.
Agreed.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
BeRzErKaS

My Ride: 330ciC; Boosted E36
Send a message via ICQ to BeRzErKaS
Quote:
Ok, so I picked up a carbine length MOE handguard because I like the clean looks and light weight. I picked up the ASAP plate and MS2 sling because I *thought* 1 point was the way to go. However I'm coming across this conundrum where I'm finding the 1 point pretty much worthless except in transitioning to the support side to shoot. I also have this Magpul ASAP plate that I have zero need for also and I feel like it just gets in the way. The last piece is the MOE stock I have in the back.

Now, I need some help here. I've really come to liking the 2 point sling, especially Viking Tactical's VTAC sling. Do you guys know what the parts needed (aside from the sling itself) are? I need a mounting rail up front, along with a QD swivel in the back and front right? Any suggestions?
Just offering some input in the interest of saving you money...

Since you already have the MS2 and the ASAP, why not just pick up a QD mount for your forward rail and run the MS2 in two-point configuration? The ASAP would continue to act as the rear attachment point so there would be no need to buy another sling or 2nd QD mount for the rear.

BMW 3 Series - "Welcome to the club."

Supercharged E-dIrTy-6 325is 5sp
Drop Top E-sPorTy-6 330cic Step
BeRzErKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
Rush4theYehO

Yeah, tried that. My AR has a front sling attachment point under the front sight. IMO, the sling will function as 2 point that way, but it really doesn't do a good enough job in that respect.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #14
Reedo302

Quote:
IMO, the sling will function as 2 point that way, but it really doesn't do a good enough job in that respect.

The MS2 sling is a single-point sling that can be a two-point sling when it has to be. I really does not do well in a stand-alone two-point configuration.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-31-2011, 07:21 PM   #15
EndlessAP1

My Ride: e92 M3, e70 X5, TL
I am so against Magul accessories aside from the etg. Get rid of that magpul stuff. I am so against it in the field. It's cheap looking, lacks comfort, looks Horrible and looks like 20,000,000 other Americans guns when there are many better accessories out there. I am not here for a bash war but just saying keep your options open and actually try other brands. Trust me there are better comfort pieces and lighter pieces and better looking out there.
EndlessAP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #16
pphil09

My Ride: Imola Red ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAP1 View Post
I am so against Magul accessories aside from the etg. Get rid of that magpul stuff. I am so against it in the field. It's cheap looking, lacks comfort, looks Horrible and looks like 20,000,000 other Americans guns when there are many better accessories out there. I am not here for a bash war but just saying keep your options open and actually try other brands. Trust me there are better comfort pieces and lighter pieces and better looking out there.
Its cheap, durable and works as well as the more expensive options. I will keep my magpul stuff. Anyone that doesnt want theirs can sell it to me.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #17
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I was searching for sling attachment info. What did you end up going with? Did you use the QD swivel on your stock?

I've started look for a rear attachment point. Both the Daniel Defense and the Noveske caught my eye, although that this point I'm still looking at all of my options.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1327
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1363

Last edited by Serbonze; 05-10-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #18
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Well, no one responded (insert forever alone pic) so I bought the Noveske. I picked the Noveske because the thickness is the same as the standard end plate. The Daniel Defense is about 1/4 inch thick, and I wasn't sure that I would be able to collapse the stock all the way. Overall, it's a well made piece. I'm just waitng on my new lower to arrive so I can assemble everything.

Last edited by Serbonze; 05-17-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #19
Reedo302

You really can't go wrong with either one. The Noveske is just fine to use, as long as you keep the QD swivel installed in the hole. If you leave the swivel out, you open up the receiver to dirt and detritus. The DD one is perfectly fine; but as you pointed out, the Noveske is thinner and won't have the fitment issues with a collapsible stock.

Glock Armorer

Old 05-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #20
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
I thought single point was for close quarters so you could pull the rifle under your armpit to shorten the length.

I dunno

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote