E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #61
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
What is your timeline for completion, or at least to have the car up and running? I want to see some assembly, some videos! I know you have other cars you use as a vehicle to poo-poo your zhps, but if you're going to turbo the car, then do it!
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #62
NIVO

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to NIVO
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
What is your timeline for completion, or at least to have the car up and running? I want to see some assembly, some videos! I know you have other cars you use as a vehicle to poo-poo your zhps, but if you're going to turbo the car, then do it!
I am doing minor things first currently like the Modification of the ebay catch can to work as it should, the manifold with Techline coatings Turbo X coating.

Cut, size, weld exhaust. Intercooler pipe placement any any welding needed.
Run the vacuum lines. All which will have pics and measurements.

If I didn't have my site, if I wasn't furiously taking many pics I could have done this in a weeks time maybe less since I have everything I need at home tool wise.

I had other projects I had to finish before starting my coupes project. the past 2 weeks I have been moving quite fast though.

My seat covers will be in shortly so I need to do the whole interior thing....

I have patience on my projects so I can do it right the first time. I seem to spend more time making diagrams and writing things then working on the car but when it is turbocharged all the info will be on my site.

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
WARNING: This modification is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm due to the extreme G forces once turbo kicks in. ~ Nivo
The rest of my signature is reserved for pointless modification bits like: Halos | window Tint | carbon fiber roundels | short shifter

Last edited by NIVO; 07-30-2012 at 01:08 PM.
NIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #63
DOC_Race

My Ride: 03 M3
great diagrams! good luck with completion looks like you have everything mapped out
DOC_Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #64
NIVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC_Race View Post
great diagrams! good luck with completion looks like you have everything mapped out
Thanks,
My original work I did at work with paper and pencil. Then I transferred over to a visible online diagram.

There have been other builds on here for DIY turbo kits but the only difference on mine is that the info I acquire/make available is going into my site as you see with diagrams etc. This should be able to help others out when starting their own projects.

I have been looking at your tubular manifold thread too... :-)

The more info there is about turbocharging the non-M cars the more people might want to do it and it opens the market up to the vendors who sell turbos, FMIC pipes, intercoolers, braided lines, head studs etc

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
WARNING: This modification is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm due to the extreme G forces once turbo kicks in. ~ Nivo
The rest of my signature is reserved for pointless modification bits like: Halos | window Tint | carbon fiber roundels | short shifter

Last edited by NIVO; 07-30-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #65
NIVO

Vacuum Block with Push-to-connect fittings

I finally got around to taking a pic of the Vacuum Block.

It has the 5 push-to-connect fittings for the nylon tubing and one for rubber hose. Also you can see the push-to-connect plugs for unused ports.

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
Old 08-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #66
02black330ci

My Ride: spaceship
^^^ Looking good man and well documented build. Take your time on your project man, at the end of the day you are building it for you and not for others. We are just lucky you like to share, hehe

02black330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #67
NIVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02black330ci View Post
^^^ Looking good man and well documented build. Take your time on your project man, at the end of the day you are building it for you and not for others. We are just lucky you like to share, hehe
Thanks, yes I saw something missing on this forum and other BMW forums. The lack of shared knowledge when it came to Turbocharging a car from scratch. Only a handful have done so and succeeded but as far as I know I have the most documentation on what goes into the build.

I am getting close to tearing into the car and start taking pictures and videos as I go along. All the way up to the point where the car runs again but with the turbo items on the car. I am on a few projects on right now which I have yet posted which is just more DIY things like the ebay catch can set up and coating the turbo manifold.

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
Old 08-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #68
mike radowski
Account Under Review

My Ride: 02 M3, 97 turbo M3
Still using the oil-less turbo? Three oil less turbos we had failed under 2k miles. My 80mm was still working but i had it converted to oiled center before that failed also.
mike radowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #69
NIVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike radowski View Post
Still using the oil-less turbo? Three oil less turbos we had failed under 2k miles. My 80mm was still working but i had it converted to oiled center before that failed also.
Hey Mike,

Still going to be using it. Locally I haven't seen any of my buds cars fail with it.

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
Old 08-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #70
mike radowski
Account Under Review

My Ride: 02 M3, 97 turbo M3
My e46 failed under 2k miles, and my customer's e36 failed under 200 miles. Good luck.

Comp said "our cars run hotter than other cars" so the grease inside broke down and caused the failures. I asked if they wanted datalogs of our coolant temps.
mike radowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #71
NIVO

Unichip Wiring DIY

Unichip Wiring DIY
I finally wired up the Unichip for NA use.

Unichip Installed
Connected the Unichip, Downloaded the latest firmware from January 2012 to it. Set up the base map and gave it a crank. Started right up. I made some fuel adjustments to see if I had control of fuel and I did. I also did it for timing and it worked.

So I am thinking I might dyno with just the unichip in NA form just for kicks. On average I have seen guys in south Africa getting 11 whp.

Here is the quick lowdown:

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
Old 08-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #72
NIVO

Interior Update

Updating!
I have 2 reports today, well after I installed the Unichip I wanted to see if I can tune out that nasty chug chug chug the car does between 2400 - 3000 rpms and low and behold with a tweak here and there on the mapping it is gone. That is good news to me.

Now Report numero dos.
For those that haven't been keeping up with my threads, I have had bought stuff from Khalid mamood before for my Z cars. well I contracted him to copy the oem seat covers and make them in Alcantara, black leather and red leather. Then I went with the diamond pattern.

Here is a photoshop I did as a concept(Not sure on whos image it was but I borrowed it from Google images):

Here is a sneak peek at the actual custom designed by me seat cover:

These are the colors I chose:

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
Old 08-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #73
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Pics of unichip installed?
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #74
NIVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
Pics of unichip installed?
If I get home early enough I will upload them. But I also did take pics of it installed.

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
Old 08-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #75
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
SUbbed

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #76
TrippinBimmer

Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIVO View Post
If I get home early enough I will upload them. But I also did take pics of it installed.
Awesome. Curious to see how it looked installed...
Old 08-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #77
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Keep going man! This looks to have some potential.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #78
NIVO

Here is the Unichip Installed:

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
Old 08-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #79
TrippinBimmer

^ thats it? VERY NICE and Clean...
Old 08-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #80
NIVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
^ thats it? VERY NICE and Clean...
There isn't much to it.. yet
I have the IDriver for driving the injectors independently from the DME and Boost module with Map sensor. It will also control Meth injection and it will be my boost controller.

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com

Tags
330 zhp turbocharger, custom turbo 330ci e46