E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
BeRzErKaS

My Ride: 330ciC; Boosted E36
Send a message via ICQ to BeRzErKaS
Little Man Puttin In Work...

And what was your excuse for not hitting the gym today...?

BMW 3 Series - "Welcome to the club."

Supercharged E-dIrTy-6 325is 5sp
Drop Top E-sPorTy-6 330cic Step
BeRzErKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
stupid parents. Kid was 3 inches away from breaking his foot
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
This.

But, this kid is gonna be jacked in no time!

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbored786 View Post
This.

Kid is going to grow up with a stunted grow problem and back issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbored786 View Post
This.

Kids gonna be shot out at 18.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
DME46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Kid is going to grow up with a stunted grow problem and back issues
There is no evidence to support stunted growth, but he will definitely suffer issues at the joints.

I'm going to make sure my kids are physically active, but I wouldn't let them touch exercises like that until high school.

Push-ups and running is the best thing for a kid. You will only see minimal muscle gains at that young age, so it is better to teach form than lifting heavy.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
Old 03-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
BeRzErKaS

My Ride: 330ciC; Boosted E36
Send a message via ICQ to BeRzErKaS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
haha, it's just painted wood. I wouldn't worry about his joints, he has pretty good form!

He's mostly imitating his dad. Psycho grunting and all...

BMW 3 Series - "Welcome to the club."

Supercharged E-dIrTy-6 325is 5sp
Drop Top E-sPorTy-6 330cic Step

Last edited by BeRzErKaS; 03-21-2011 at 01:41 PM.
BeRzErKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRzErKaS View Post
And what was your excuse for not hitting the gym today...?

Love it. Tell them to get his back squat form in check though.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
There is no evidence to support stunted growth, but he will definitely suffer issues at the joints.

I'm going to make sure my kids are physically active, but I wouldn't let them touch exercises like that until high school.

Push-ups and running is the best thing for a kid. You will only see minimal muscle gains at that young age, so it is better to teach form than lifting heavy.
Had a short friend who was an excellent gymnast until he hurt his neck in 9th grade. Everyone else had grown, dude stayed small. After that injury my man shot up like a weed.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
I'm gonna make sure my kids are active from pretty early on, but I don't know about lifting weights and doing squats that young
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
fugarza

My Ride: 330i, R6
So what your saying is that your friend hit a growth spurt between 13-15 years old? Which by the way is the typical age that guys will hit another growth spurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
Had a short friend who was an excellent gymnast until he hurt his neck in 9th grade. Everyone else had grown, dude stayed small. After that injury my man shot up like a weed.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #12
fugarza

My Ride: 330i, R6
What do you think kids are doing when they bend down to pick up their toys or objects from the floor?

This seems totally unsafe for all kids to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
I don't know about lifting weights and doing squats that young
Old 03-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #13
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
^Yeah, that's exactly the same thing kid was doing in the vid
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #14
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugarza View Post
What do you think kids are doing when they bend down to pick up their toys or objects from the floor?

This seems totally unsafe for all kids to do.
are his toys more than his body weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
^Yeah, that's exactly the same thing kid was doing in the vid
thank you lol
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #15
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugarza View Post
So what your saying is that your friend hit a growth spurt between 13-15 years old? Which by the way is the typical age that guys will hit another growth spurt.
No. Dude was beyond small. Like 4th grade small. I'm suggesting some things do in fact stunt ones growth.

I cannot imagine a kid this young lifting weights is good.

Post work out gerber apple sauce ftw.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #16
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:

Why do you say he'll have joint issues? The things I did as a young child were way worse than lifting and my joints are fine, except for the injuries I've sustained as an adult.

If lifting is viewed as harsh on the body, perhaps I should post pictures of the scars on my leg from compartment syndrome - an injury common among runners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
No. Dude was beyond small. Like 4th grade small. I'm suggesting some things do in fact stunt ones growth.

I cannot imagine a kid this young lifting weights is good.

Post work out gerber apple sauce ftw.
Perhaps he finally started getting adequate nutrition post-injury. A lot of gymnasts are encouraged to stay small, so they become malnutritioned. Or maybe he had some other sort of physical issue that was unknowingly resovled after he broke his neck (it's not far from the pituitary).

Seeing causation between working a young muscle and stunting ones growth seems like a pretty far stretch for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #17
DME46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Why do you say he'll have joint issues? The things I did as a young child were way worse than lifting and my joints are fine, except for the injuries I've sustained as an adult.

If lifting is viewed as harsh on the body, perhaps I should post pictures of the scars on my leg from compartment syndrome - an injury common among runners.
People tend to loosen up during exercises like squats and deadlifts. The key is to keep your body tight and in form during the whole exercise, from when the weight goes down/up up/down.

I know people who blew out their knees over time because they put all their strength into squats only as the weight would be pushed up. Controlled fashion during the negative and positive parts of a rep are key. You'd be surprised how many people just throw weight up and down and end up hurting themselves. As long as the kid keeps form, he should have no problems. The exercise itself shouldn't give him joint issues if he does them correctly.

Most injuries from running are due to improper form and harsh steps that send shocks throughout the body.

I'm getting into barefoot running, and once I perfect my running form barefoot and get used to it... I can transition over to shoes, I'll probably get Vibram Fivefingers.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
Old 03-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #18
dwass325

Quote:
People tend to loosen up during exercises like squats and deadlifts. The key is to keep your body tight and in form during the whole exercise, from when the weight goes down/up up/down.

I know people who blew out their knees over time because they put all their strength into squats only as the weight would be pushed up. Controlled fashion during the negative and positive parts of a rep are key. You'd be surprised how many people just throw weight up and down and end up hurting themselves. As long as the kid keeps form, he should have no problems. The exercise itself shouldn't give him joint issues if he does them correctly.

Most injuries from running are due to improper form and harsh steps that send shocks throughout the body.

I'm getting into barefoot running, and once I perfect my running form barefoot and get used to it... I can transition over to shoes, I'll probably get Vibram Fivefingers.
My guess is that any parent that would teach a toddler to deadlift is probably pretty knowledgeable on proper form. Just my thought on it though. It's a pretty niche sport.

And Vibrams

Quote:
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #19
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
My guess is that any parent that would teach a toddler to deadlift is probably pretty knowledgeable on proper form. Just my thought on it though. It's a pretty niche sport.

And Vibrams

Do you like them? I love mine.

I have this 8.5 mile loop that I run about 5 - 8 times per summer. Every time I have ever run it in regular shoes by the end my shins and knees are sore. I ran it for the first time last fall in my vibrams. The only thing that hurt was the bottom of my feet and the more time I spend in them that becomes less of an issue. Really a revolutionary product in my opinion.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #20
dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Do you like them? I love mine.

I have this 8.5 mile loop that I run about 5 - 8 times per summer. Every time I have ever run it in regular shoes by the end my shins and knees are sore. I ran it for the first time last fall in my vibrams. The only thing that hurt was the bottom of my feet and the more time I spend in them that becomes less of an issue. Really a revolutionary product in my opinion.
"Like" and "love" barely describe how I feel about these shoes. I've had issues with my legs for about 6 or 7 years, and had periodic pain even after surgery. Since I started working out primarily in Vibrams I have not had a flare up of pain at all. Wearing regular running shoes elevates the heel, which puts pressure on a part of my leg that's prone to pain. Having my heel level with my toes has done wonders for me. On top of that, they are awesome to do legs in and make it much easier to push with your heels. Doing deadlifts and rows feels much more stable now, too (after a little learning period, of course).

They're great for driving manual in, too. You can wiggle your toe over to blip the gas.

I currently just have my black/gray KSOs, but I plan on buying a pair of Classics soon and maybe some Komodos once they get them back in stock.

Quote: