E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
ec2785ny

My Ride: 99 323i
Question dme flash after auto to manual switch

I have a 99 323i sedan(e46) and recently changed the tranny from an auto to a manual. Live in the new york area and can not find anywhere that can help me change this dme to recognise the car is manual, even dealers. Right now the check engine light and gear symbol "cog" are lit on the dash and it is time i ask for some suggestions. Any help ppl???
Car runs well but I want to get these lights off on the dash.

Last edited by ec2785ny; 03-21-2011 at 03:33 PM.
ec2785ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Avet4

My Ride: 2004 330i 6spd
Hmm, I always thought that the car wouldn't even start if you didn't have the DME reflashed, I read that people would have to push start their cars after a manual swap until they could get the DME taken care of.

As far as who can do it, I'm guessing Active Autowerks or ESS can reflash it, but other members got it done at the dealer. Hopefully they'll chime in soon.
Avet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
alpine325i

My Ride: Alpine 2001 325i
I asked a couple of indi shops and was told the dealership is the only place that can do it... Still haven't done it to mine yet and its been almost a year now! Planning on dong it soon.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
ec2785ny

My Ride: 99 323i
no they run

Here are the pics of the swap.. after it was done it runs good but I still want it legit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00027.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	397548   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00015.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	397549   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00026.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	397550   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00019.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	397551  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BM.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	397552  
ec2785ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
If you can get me the numbers printed on top of a stock 323 manual DME, I could probably do this.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Depending on the CAR ZCS or VO must be changed. then the DME programed number changed to a manuel

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
You need a manual cluster and transfer over vin and mileage.
That is how i got my smg to manual to start after swap.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:05 AM   #8
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavi330i View Post
umm no just need to change zcs or vo

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:51 AM   #9
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
The cars built prior to build date 09/2001 use SA numbers that must be recoded into the instrument cluster (KOMBI) and then auto program the LCM, ASC/DSC, and align the EWS with the DME.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:35 AM   #10
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
umm no just need to change zcs or vo
ZCS/FA editing is the easy part since all the information on what the numbers mean is documented by BMW. Figuring out the proper DME program number without access to a real manual is the hard part - I can't find documentation that tells which car the data files correspond to for the ms42 and ms43 DMEs. MSS54 files on the other the hand are very nicely commented and identify exactly which car the file is intended for (US, euro, or japan; M3, CSL or Z3M; SMG or manual).

Do you know if there's an official BMW document which identifies the DME software versions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavi330i View Post
Not necessary. While it's true the manual clusters don't have the LCD, you can easily just recode an auto cluster. Recoding it turns that extra display off.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 03-22-2011 at 02:39 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:42 AM   #11
rising
Banned

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
The cars built prior to build date 09/2001 use SA numbers that must be recoded into the instrument cluster (KOMBI) and then auto program the LCM, ASC/DSC, and align the EWS with the DME.
date 09/2001?? a little old stuff.
rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:48 AM   #12
Elwin

My Ride: 330i ZHP
You need to have:

1. SSS progman
2. NCS Expert

With NCS expert you must change the FA code to remove S205A (automatic transmission). then code all car with NSC Expert.
When done with coding you car will think it is manual, but maps in the engine will be as for automatic.
Hee you will need to use SSS progman and program DME. To be safe I would program cluster, DSC and EWS as well with SSS progman.

Now you will be all manual
Elwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:50 AM   #13
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Yes The OP's original thread stated 99 - 323 so they are using SA codes and 09/2001 is using the VO for programming the various modules.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:09 AM   #14
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
You need to have:

1. SSS progman
2. NCS Expert

With NCS expert you must change the FA code to remove S205A (automatic transmission). then code all car with NSC Expert.
When done with coding you car will think it is manual, but maps in the engine will be as for automatic.
Hee you will need to use SSS progman and program DME. To be safe I would program cluster, DSC and EWS as well with SSS progman.

Now you will be all manual
SSS/Progman won't reprogram the DME with a manual flash unless you manually identify the software number. The DME version isnt determined by the VO; it's determined by what the UIF says the existing software version is.

You're also better off using winkfp if you're not using the real Progman. Winkfp is both faster and safer since it doesn't have to go through a VM and virtual network... Nor does it need any "hacky" modifications to work.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:57 AM   #15
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
SSS/Progman won't reprogram the DME with a manual flash unless you manually identify the software number. The DME version isnt determined by the VO; it's determined by what the UIF says the existing software version is.

You're also better off using winkfp if you're not using the real Progman. Winkfp is both faster and safer since it doesn't have to go through a VM and virtual network... Nor does it need any "hacky" modifications to work.

The programed number can be gotten via real OEM or numerous service SIB's. The info is there. I have programed 7-8 of these cars after swaps I do know a little about it....

And also those numbers for SA/fa used to not be that well documented it was through work of certain people that they became know. Do some searching on early threads about this. There was not much info out there for a long time.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Last edited by jbeurotech; 03-22-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:57 PM   #16
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
The programed number can be gotten via real OEM or numerous service SIB's. The info is there. I have programed 7-8 of these cars after swaps I do know a little about it....

And also those numbers for SA/fa used to not be that well documented it was through work of certain people that they became know. Do some searching on early threads about this. There was not much info out there for a long time.
They're all very well documented in the data folders right on the Progman DVD. Admittedly it's mostly in German, but the info is all there and has been for years. This stuff was written by BMW. Check the links below E46AT.000 for all the VO information, and E46ZST.000 for all the ZCS information. There are similar files available for every chasis. The ZCS ones are particularly useful since it tells you how to calculate the new checksum and everything. FA isn't as necessary since the numbers are the same as the option codes themselves. It is useful for figuring out the proper H-words/E-words/K-words for various retrofits though

E46AT.000

E46ZST.000

Where on RealOEM are the programmed numbers btw? I can only find the hardware numbers, which are kinda useless since tons of cars use the same DME hardware.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 03-24-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:53 PM   #17
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
OP, there are only a few people you should be listening to in this particular thread. me, JBeurotech, terraphantm and TitaniumCranium.

terra, the program numbers are the last 7 of the programmed DME part numbers in the catalogs such as ETK and bmwfans.info. For my car (MT Cabrio, MS43 built before july 2002), the latest software is 7571613 as can be seen in the parts catalog:

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E4...me_programmed/

OP's car can be found here:

for whatever reason, some models do not show a different program number for auto and manual. But MS45.1's built after July 2004 do:

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E4..._programmed-2/

Properly, what the OP needs to do is first remove the 3 blue wires connecting the EGS to the DME. then, he needs to update his ZCS to reflect a manual transmission in his instrument cluster and EWS using an old MoDiC system, Progman (selecting an E34 chassis) or NCS Expert. The manual conversion involves changing the last 2 digits of the ZCS string. Then, perform a whole car encoding followed by a DME software update, and his car will be a manual.

Neil1138 detailed the entire process with coding in "Step 12" of his 5MT conversion which can be seen here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=659314

OP will need to post his ZCS string so it can be converted, then follow the instructions above and the cog and SES lights should turn off.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer

Last edited by iansanderson; 03-25-2011 at 12:28 AM.
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #18
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
Neil1138 detailed the entire process in "Step 12" of his 5MT conversion which can be seen here:

Neil's process forgets to mention LSZ recoding
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #19
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
OP, there are only a few people you should be listening to in this particular thread. me, JBeurotech, terraphantm and TitaniumCranium.

terra, the program numbers are the last 7 of the programmed DME part numbers in the catalogs such as ETK and bmwfans.info. For my car (MT Cabrio, MS43 built before july 2002), the latest software is 7571613 as can be seen in the parts catalog:

OP's car can be found here:

for whatever reason, some models do not have a different program numbers for auto and manual. But MS45.1's built after July 2004 do:

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E4..._programmed-2/

Properly, what the OP needs to do is first remove the 3 blue wires connecting the EGS to the DME. then, he needs to update his ZCS to reflect a manual transmission in his instrument cluster and EWS using an old MoDiC system, Progman (selecting an E34 chassis) or NCS Expert. The manual conversion involves changing the last 2 digits of the ZCS string. Then, perform a whole car encoding followed by a DME software update, and his car will be a manual.

Neil1138 detailed the entire process with coding in "Step 12" of his 5MT conversion which can be seen here:

OP will need to post his ZCS key so it can be converted, then follow the instructions above and the cog and SES lights should turn off.
Thanks for the info! I was getting stuck w/ realOEM since they seem to omit the "DME Unit - programmed" entries. That makes things a lot easier!

Edit: Do you know when the last time BMWfans.info was updated? My current DME version (which is the latest) doesn't agree with what that site. I know the E46 M3 was recently updated (Summer 09) because of the emissions recall though, so maybe that's the issue

Edit 2: My old ZHPs DME software does match that site, so I guess it's okay. It's just the database is from a release before Summer 09.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
Neil's process forgets to mention LSZ recoding
Neils car wouldn't need any LSZ recoding...

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 03-25-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:29 AM   #20
jmay87

My Ride: e36,e46,e90
Subscribing to this thread so I can find it later

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Bimmer App

jmay87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto to manual, dme, e46, flash dme, tranny