E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
thefrog1394

My Ride: e46- 1999 323i
CCV out, vent to atmosphere/catch can, closed catch can system, or new CCV?

So I have my CCV torn out and I'm debating whether to reinstall, catch can, vent to atmos, etc. So far what I don't like about venting or a catch can which vents is that there is now air being vented to the atmosphere that the MAF doesn't know about. If the car thinks this air is there then there is the possibility of the computer not making the correct AFR assumptions.

Additionally, the crankcase will now be slightly positive/0 pressure instead of vacuum. The vacuum of the intake manifold is no longer there to pull condensation out of the crankcase. Also, I feel like vacuum in the crankcase would reduce the amount of work the seals have to do and eliminating this could cause oil leaks.

Any thoughts on whether this is just me talking out my ass or what?

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
1999 323i - 210,000 miles and counting.
Rear Wheel Bearing Tool (SitTools B90) Rental, ~$60
thefrog1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
Top_Bunk

My Ride: Ram-Air Nylon
As to the technical aspects of your post, I cannot comment... but I do have a question.

What is the benefit of going with a vent-to-atmosphere or a catch can? Is there any benefit, and if so, is it worth the risk of confusing your engine's computer?
Top_Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by spage View Post
As to the technical aspects of your post, I cannot comment... but I do have a question.

What is the benefit of going with a vent-to-atmosphere or a catch can? Is there any benefit, and if so, is it worth the risk of confusing your engine's computer?
Fewer trees living near roads so we can see better around turns? There's a great benefit!

OP, I can't answer technically, but I can tell you that there are mechanical reasons why the ccv is there and environmental ones too. Mechanically, at the least, the oil you'd lose as vapor returns to the car. CCVs fail and not frequently, just seemingly because all of ours have at some point failed...or will. My vote is return the car to the way it was designed and you'll end up with a nice running bmw.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
thefrog1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by spage View Post

No nasty oil in my intake, no worries about my CCV killing the engine, more power? (because the oil lowers the effective octane of the gas?) not sure if that one is true but I have heard it before.

Oh and I don't have to spend $150 on a system that hurts performance of my car.

On the environmental aspect, I am sure running without cats is way worse and people here do it all the time. Not saying its the best thing in the world but realistically, its not really different than running an older car.

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
Old 03-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
AlexTe46

My Ride: 2001>325i>sedan
ccv dose not vent into intake it goes to the crank case only dosent it
Old 03-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #6
thefrog1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTe46 View Post
The oil/blowby gas mixture is sent to the CCV which separates the oil from the gas and sends the gas to the intake manifold and oil to the dipstick tube. There is also a valve on there that varies how much it opens based on engine vacuum.

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
Old 03-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #7
Top_Bunk

My Ride: Ram-Air Nylon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTe46 View Post
It vents to the intake...

I believe a properly working CVV will only vent air though, and keep the oil where it belongs.

It is a PIA to change, I just did mine last weekend. I'd rather leave it in stock form though... the location it is in would make it very difficult to tweak any sort of aftermarket or DIY setup.
Top_Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote